Vegabee(framing)

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Vegabee(framing)

Postby waybad » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:04 pm

great work!! :th:
Tinker
waybad

Postby Vegabee » Sat May 02, 2015 11:46 pm

Pulled engine back out and welded motor mounts and all else that was tacked.Using the bigger 220V Everlast got an oper to dial it in some.Ive been welding forever hope they let me have one in my hand sticking out of the grave when I go.Every welder is diff. and most are acceptable.
welded up rack bracket
Next time capping the frame ends and filling the steering column hole where it was moved.then should be ready to clean eng comp.
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:17 pm

Well not a real lot to report,set the engine back in with my wife on the balancer and me on the tail.
Reinstalled cross member and pulled rear out but 2 Christmas parties a 2 vacations makes that it for a little while again.
Happy Holidays!
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:54 pm

Digging into some dual exhaust for the LS Vega,posting under framing cause it's laying on back almost kissing the frame LOL.
Seen some universal pipe kits out there but noticed this JEGS #30546 2.5 mandrel header back offering for 80's Malibu and thought i would give it a try.
comes with a bunch of stuff and a lot of reg clamps
tail pipes might work too
while ago modified some take off 2010 Camaro manifolds with squeezed 3" pipe and they fit well In the Vega engine compartment.Had in mind to run some converters for two reasons,to have them on for 1975 cars had them and I see some are running them to take out the unburned fuel smell when tuning and running in the garage so at that time picked up some of these high flow converters
These are 3" but wanted to reduce down to 2.5" but decided to reduce after the converter so picked up some 45 degree 3" pipe to get under the floor pan.Converters will fit next on those pipes
Measured and started trimming
converters trimmed also
did some floor bumping here and there and taped some wood shim blocks to converters for floor clearance,gonna be tight
got the length on those and decided to reduce to 2.5" with the header collectors from JEGS kit.welded them on
now on to the first section of pipes trimmed and little more floor bumping and got them temp installed
Sneaked the pipes under rear cross member and had to drill the rivets out and shorten some hangers also turn them side ways to work
pipes up and tacked happy with it so far
now have to add a way to uncouple them and add the oxygen sensor from the FItech kit
drilled and tacked test fitted,perfect spot for it
welded up
picked up some V-band clamps to try to separate the pipes
pipes should be pretty straight in line to use these but if there is a gap squeeze that side and should be good to go
with pipes oriented tack in place
looks right so far
Manifold and converter assembly comes out on the driver side and almost out on the pass.may come out also if trans ear is trimmed,would be nice to get both out.It's Sunday so off to do stuff with wife but will weld up and start the over axle and muffler install next time.
Last edited by Vegabee on Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vegabee

Postby zeke » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:27 pm

Looking good dude! :th:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby SOLSAKS » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:11 am

the nicest vega on the planet in my opinion

cant wait to see it completed

you guys do brilliant work

you and zeke should start a car company
or at least a custom shop, but you would be
so busy you would never be able to work on your own stuff

do you realize how this complex, perfect work
blows the minds of guys like me who are not
mechanically inclined ?

keep the photos coming.

dave in NC
SOLSAKS

Postby Vegabee » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:08 pm

All in great fun...
Well i did cut the pass trans ear a little more and the right side exhaust assem. came out also.Welded up the pieces made so far.
I really wanted to use some Dynomax 17749 or 17748 Super Turbo mufflers because they are some what quiet and have outstanding performance http://www.pontiacstreetperformance.com ... haust.html but just could not fit them in,they are long 25" or so.I do have a pair of Dynomax VT #17156 2.5" with the anti drone valve in them.They fit perfectly even way up behind the quarters,will see what they sound like??
modified and mounted rear hangers just about all this girl is gonna hold back here.
Vegabee

Postby avewhtboy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:56 am

Looks very tidy really nice clean car you are building here. Some day theres gonna be a lot more nice vegas on the road.

What are the specs on the mufflers that fit? You said 25 inches was too long. Whats the length on those.

I need something similar for my Astre.
avewhtboy

Postby Vegabee » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:43 pm

http://www.dynomax.com/dynomax-vt-offse ... 17156.html These but a little longer may work also.have to leave some room for an exit spout.Remember the floor was modded and fuel tank centered.I think if they are too loud May consider adding some Dynomax race bullets,done a lot to quiet a little.Another idea would maybe be too put one of these http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/super-t ... 17805.html or http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/super-t ... t-553.html in the spot under the floor where the factory converter used to be and cut and change the driver side floor to open it up for the install of another there.
Vegabee

Postby avewhtboy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:50 pm

Vegabee wrote:http://www.dynomax.com/dynomax-vt-offset-centered-17156.html These but a little longer may work also.have to leave some room for an exit spout.Remember the floor was modded and fuel tank centered.I think if they are too loud May consider adding some Dynomax race bullets,done a lot to quiet a little.Another idea would maybe be too put one of these http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/super-t ... 17805.html or http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/super-t ... t-553.html in the spot under the floor where the factory converter used to be and cut and change the driver side floor to open it up for the install of another there.

So that muffler in the first link is only 14 inches long, that's quite a bit shorter than the 25 incher probably will be relatively loud with that
short but if you go fast enough you will never hear it.
Last edited by avewhtboy on Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
avewhtboy

Postby 6D9 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:00 am

Killer fab work! Car is going to be incredible.
72 Vega GT...406 sbc..TH700R4...3.42 gear...235/60/15 MT DR's....11.54 at 118.6..Dad's car
72 Vega GT...4cyl..4 speed..all stock
6D9

Postby Vegabee » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:06 am

14" case mufflers and straight through design on top of it.Found this neat thread where many are being put on at the rear like I've done and seems to be working out.
http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesi ... php?t=7284
some tried custom exit tips on them and found that resonated tips make them a little more quiet so ordered a pair of these to add on the exit pipes
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Doubl ... 2k&vxp=mtr
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Mon May 02, 2016 12:49 pm

Did get a pair of those stainless resonated tips.A little larger then expected but am going to tuck them under the rear valance.The only way to work them on is to angle them down like a turn down pipe,so angle cut a bit off and welded on.
Fuel lines on now so back to exhaust.Wanted to add a balance cross pipe and had a large piece that I squeezed to an oval to put between the two intermediate pipes.An X pipe would take a lot of fitting on the Malibu pipes so just went with this for now.
fitted in
Marked the openings and used plasma cutter to cut them
Tack in ,removed and welded up
Back at the rear reworked some hangers and temp fitted muffler/tip assembly
Tips are large but should be OK when just peeking out
Vegabee

Postby avewhtboy » Mon May 02, 2016 1:27 pm

Very Nice that was a lot of work but you nailed it
avewhtboy

Postby bbcowboy » Mon May 02, 2016 5:41 pm