Starter issue

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Starter issue

Postby keithnh » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Noticed my bell on its way does not look similar to the 4 and 8 pictured here. Hope its the right one, ebay item 272144895476. Says its a Monza 3.8 V-6 bell and should fit 75-80 Sunbird. Maybe looks different as its for a Buick built motor. Wondering about the size issue on H-body flywheel and clutch and whether larger more common replacement parts can be shoehorned in as Im having no luck finding H-body flywheel clutch setup at all. Think my 84 3.8 has a 160 tooth flex plate, its not out yet ... see mention here of 153. Teeth spacings are probably the same so that means flywheel diameter is smaller for H-body? So the starter body must be lengthened to fill the gap? Hoping to use my current 3.8 starter, must be all up to the bell housing clearance? If there is added clearance in the v-6 bell maybe I can use larger flywheel as well.
keithnh

Postby spencerforhire » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:36 pm

V6 bellhousing is Buick/Olds/Pontiac and will NOT fit your Chevy V8. And we're still not understanding what you're trying to convey about the 1" gap. We need pics.
Just checked ebay. that's a V6 bellhousing.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby zeke » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:49 am

The correct drive end housing for these cars is called "one long one short" which refers to the mounting bolt length. The larger flywheel housing is called "two long offset".

Need pics - easy to resize here:

http://www.picresize.com/

Just set max file size to 250kb
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby keithnh » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:54 pm

New guy to this board and thread, was hoping to understand my limitations without having to buy the parts to hand fit. What is the deal with the H-flywheel setup? A standard size flywheel will not physically fit in an H bell? Or just wont allow cable clutch setup to work with larger size pressure plate? Or maybe starter clearance requires the 153 tooth smaller setup? I have an H V6 Buick bell 1249599 .. thought I had an H 78 flywheel 1257034 too but it didn't pan out. I see billet V6 flywheels for 400$ I don't want to spend that much, they are not smaller H diameter. I see the flywheel that fits my 80 firebird with Buick V6 shows fitting V8's too 118$ @ Parts Geek, possibly the Buick V6 was fully internally balanced after a certain date so used the same flywheel as v8? I have conflicting info on that. My low mileage 84 Buick V6 has a 160 tooth flexplate. Its not out yet, but at the shop and I need to get the Sunbird rolling as soon as possible with the six and 4 speed that's in it. Would be great if I could find a 160 tooth flywheel that would fit inside bell, allow a 10.5 clutch, work with cable clutch setup and be correctly balanced for my engine that's in my price range. My block may have 2 sets of starter bolt holes one for the 153 tooth, will be checking that. Really just need something that works reliably and doesn't shake the motor ... any of you V8 swap guys have a V6 flywheel setup laying around? Could be making you some $ :) Keith
keithnh

Postby zeke » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:31 pm

Small trans tunnel in these cars so need smaller bellhousing to fit with smaller flywheel. Some v6's use a stepped flywheel and some straight, not sure how that works but requires matching pressure plate.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby keithnh » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:04 pm

Thought there might be room for a larger flywheel and clutch since the V6 is shorter than 4 or 8 in length but the shifter is hard mounted to floor so the front of the transmission likely stays in the same spot for all engine types. So the back of the engine probably does too unless the bells are different lengths. Probably extra space in front with V6. Just dug up some #s for flywheels from my old Sealed Power books more digging to do.
keithnh

Previous

Return to Electrical and Wiring