what distributor for my 383 stroker monza

Moderator: Moderators

what distributor for my 383 stroker monza

Postby monzilla » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:40 pm

I have a 78 monza with a new 383 stroker in it.
I bought the car at about 90% complete.
it has an msd 6al and a mallory unilite with blaster2 coil.
I am getting fire to the distributor but not getting fire to spark plugs.
I did recently do some welding on the cage and frame which I have heard can zap the unilite.
I'm thinking about getting a new msd or similar and wondering with the limited space what distributor would be best. it's a Race car only with about 600 hp and also running a small shot of nitrous.
any input would be appreciated.
thanks Don
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzilla

Re: what distributor for my 383 stroker monza

Postby cosvega76 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:22 am

Don,

I'd recommend an MSD distributor with just the pickup in it, no module. It'll plug right in to your 6AL and you can use that as your module. That's what I use in mine.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby monzilla » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:06 pm

awesome thanks
monzilla

Postby sugaryuk » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:03 am

I agree with running a MSD billet distributor, I'm running one on my stroker-- it's a tight fit on my Vega but MSD does make a special smaller diameter one if you're really limited on space.
sugaryuk

Postby EVL VEGA » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:23 pm

I have a 6AL and a Unilite in mine as well.
Why not just replace the $100 module instead of buying a new $250-300 distributor?
I guess the downside is that if if dies again you're looking at another $100. So now you got a $250 distributor you've spent $450 on. :)

I've had the same module in mine since i bought the car 13 years ago. Who knows how long it was in there before that.
EVL VEGA
'73 Vega Hatchback (former Super Gas car)
406 SBC, AFR 210 Eliminator Heads, 9:1 comp, pump gas, 328RWHP/412RWTQ (old heads, no N2O 1/17/04), 6.86 @ 100.8 in 1/8th (No N20 9/4/16), Mike's Trans TH400 (reverse manual), 5000 stall, 12 bolt, 35 spline strange axles, 4.33 gears, spool, hipster transbrake, linelock, backhalved, Alston 3 link, 100 shot NX Hitman+ kit, LC1 Wideband sensor, 31x18.5 MT Sportsman Pros, "Plum Ugly"™ Purple paint.
"Pound to fit..paint to match"
EVL VEGA

1973 Chevrolet Vega

Postby monzilla » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:57 pm

That's what I did for now and it worked great.
I will probably do the med upgrade in the future but so many other things I can do first.
Thanks for your input.
monzilla

Postby monzilla » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:16 pm

I got it running but trying to wire my unilite to my msd 6al .Ok probably a real dumb question ,but better safe than sorry.
I am trying to finish a build that someone else started and running into some issues and thought I would ask before burning something up.
The car runs right now ,but my tach isn't working which I believe is wired into the msd 6all box?
I am trying to wire my Mallory unilite distributor to my msd 6al box.
Right now I have a wire from the ignition switch to coil and wire to unilite from other side of coil.
There is only one wire coming from the distributor( the one going to the coil)
I have the msd wired up to battery power on the large red and black.I have a small red and small white that are not hooked up.
Also the ones that look like they should go to the coil are not hooked up.
Do I leave the wires I have hooked to the coil now the same and just hook up the ones from the msd one as well?
Any help would be appreciated.
Also the nitrous switch is wired but does it mount to carb for wot? Where does it go if so?
Thanks again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzilla

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:48 pm

Monzilla I did a quick search on "Yahoo" and came up with these diagrams, surely one of these will help. I would do a search of your exact model distributor and determine which style it is "magnetic" or "module" and then follow the diagram that is closest. I am not all that familiar with Uni-Lite distributors to help much beyond this, unfortunately, but once you are sure which distributor style yours is this should get easy fast. From the 10 or so I looked at on this link the MSD is wired fairly similar in each one, with the differences being the pick-up/points wiring. Harry https://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/sear ... tion=click
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby monzilla » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:10 am

Thanks I'll check them out
monzilla

Return to Engine Tech