Monza s10 rearend questions, please help

Moderator: Moderators

Monza s10 rearend questions, please help

Postby whitechocolate » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:02 pm

So i picked up another v8 monza, wanting to do the s10 rearend but do i need the tourqe bar that runs from the trans, i do have ladder bars, i would like both, or should i just weld up a mount, or what other ways should i do it, whats all involved with swaping s10 shafts and r&p and carrier to the monza rear, i also do want rear disk so thats why in leaning to s10 rear,
whitechocolate

Re: Monza s10 rearend questions, please help

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Most S10's have the same(ish) rear end as the Monza* (they are both 7.5" rears except for the VERY RARE 8.5 S10's) so other than going to the newer style 28 spline parts which will fit your already torque arm'd Monza rear I don't know why everybody wants to go to the S10 rear end. The F-Body rear is also the same but has a torque arm mount and doesn't need the smaller dia. pinion shaft (which Jim. monzaz can supply at reasonable cost) but the F-Body is too wide as is the 4X4 S10 (the one with the rear disc set-up) so again the reasoning for this S10 swap eludes me. I think you should contact Jim and see what parts he can set you up with to meet your goals. As an aside the 8.5" rear is almost exactly the same weight as the 12 bolt that is available with a torque arm mount but it is expensive route, as is a build up on an 8.5" you will end up changing gears as most 8.5" will have tall highway gears and most I have owned were one wheel peelers. So the difference in cost between these parts and axles will give you money for even better upgrade in the 7.5". I figured the cost out awhile back and the difference covered a True-Trac and part of my rear disc conversion. Also I don't have to source or swap brackets to the other rear, again more savings to buy other goodies with! I know 9" F :censored: d rears are available with a torque arm but the 9" has higher parasitic loses than any of the 7.5/8.5/8.875 inch Chevy rears, AND CHEVY'S DON"T USE F :censored: D Parts Harry *excluding the early 4 cylinder cars with the 6.5" rear in which case you will have to go with what ever is available to you memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=443reasonably
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:33 am

Often when people say S10 rearend I think they are just referring to the axle swap so they can easily get the 5 lug pattern. I agree, there is no benefit to swapping the entire rearend because it is basically the same as what you already have.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:58 am

From what I have read on here, ladder bars and the torque arm do not mix, I think one fights the other.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:09 am

Correct, different swing lengths means they are going to bind. Pick one style and go with it. The torque arm setup seems to work pretty well.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby whitechocolate » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:52 pm

Okay yeah that makes sense, i was confused, i guess they do slide right in there, so the ladder bars and tourqe bar are fighting them selfs right now cause i have both on the car right now, can you convert after the 5 lug shaft swap to rear disk?
whitechocolate

Re: Monza S10 rearend questions, please help

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:31 pm

WC that should be reasonably easy then. I would consider a carrier swap, to some sort of posi/locker but a newer one for 28 spline axles, (this will give a meaningful boost in strength, especially with a Torsen or True-Trac style or straight up Detroit locker, no bevel gear styles will be the strongest) and axles to match [S10 are the right length] then you will have to come up with a rear brake decision, Camaro rear drums, pretty easy almost a direct bolt on, the disc's will be slightly harder as you will probably have to fab some sort of mounting bracket as the next gen rears that may have some aftermarket support are not exactly interchangeable with the Monza/H-Body. G-Body and early F-Body are were you will likely have to start looking. Jim will be far more up to speed on this than I am. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby day2vega » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:35 pm

cjbiagi wrote:Often when people say S10 rearend I think they are just referring to the axle swap so they can easily get the 5 lug pattern. I agree, there is no benefit to swapping the entire rearend because it is basically the same as what you already have.

From what year of an s10 can you use the axles to
slide into a Vega rear end?

Thanks
day2vega

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:20 pm

They need to be 26 spline 2 wheel drive axles. I believe it's up to around 1988 or so. After that they went to 28 spline axles...I could be off a year or two, so just make sure they are 26 spline.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby day2vega » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:26 pm

Great thanks..now I need to hunt down some axles
up to 88 s10 might be tricky..

Thanks
day2vega

Postby avewhtboy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:26 pm

day2vega wrote:Great thanks..now I need to hunt down some axles

Thanks

Where are you located? I have a set here I took out of my S10 to put 28 spline axles in. They are from 1986 Two wheel drive S10.
avewhtboy

Postby day2vega » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:56 pm

avewhtboy wrote:

Thanks

Where are you located? I have a set here I took out of my S10 to put 28 spline axles in. They are from 1986 Two wheel drive S10.

Grand rapids mi
day2vega

Postby avewhtboy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:14 pm

day2vega wrote:
avewhtboy wrote:

Thanks

Grand rapids mi

Depending on your plans, like if you want to add a good posi unit you are going to want 28 spline axles, so you may want to consider finding a set of
those unless your goal is to just get 5 bolt wheels on the axle.

I will sell them for $50 plus shipping if you want them send me an address.
avewhtboy

Postby day2vega » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:01 pm

I will check around local junk yards first.
I just need them to to mock up a few different
wheel and tire sizes I have just need a 5 lug pattern.

Building a 12 bolt rearend in the future,
Figured the axle would give me a cheap
way up size up wheels and tires while
um waiting on the 12 bolt.

Will get with you shortly if I can't find
any locally.

Thanks for the help
day2vega

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:24 pm

day2vega wrote:
cjbiagi wrote:Often when people say S10 rearend I think they are just referring to the axle swap so they can easily get the 5 lug pattern. I agree, there is no benefit to swapping the entire rearend because it is basically the same as what you already have.

From what year of an s10 can you use the axles to
slide into a Vega rear end?

Thanks

I am not sure day 2 But I believe that there are no axles that fit the early Vega rears and I believe it is 77 up H-bodies that were offered with only the 7.5" rears. The early Vega's were all 6.5" rears and I can't remember for sure but I believe they don't interchange. Does anybody else remember for sure? Of course if it is a later model with the 7.5" rear all will be good. There are more than a few threads with all the info you will need to differentiate them, Two bolts all the way trough 7.5", four shorter ones and you have a 6.5" . Harry
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Next

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech