Vegabee fuel(and wiring)

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Vegabee fuel(and wiring)

Postby Vegabee » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:19 am

Finished fuel lines and hooked up keeping away from exhaust
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:50 pm

Couldn't get the original coolant wire to work with the set up on the car so went ahead and found the Low Coolant bulb socket and snipped the Yellow wire.The Pink wire going to most of the indicator bulbs is Hot with Key On and the indicator lights are lit when the switches(oil prea.,add coolant,temp,) are grounded when the switch is activated.I grounded one wire from the coolant float plug and the other wire ran to the Yellow wire at the dash light leaving the pink in tact.
Plugged the coolant harness back in and turned key on and works.How many engines are blown when simply run out of anti freeze!
The Oil Pressure and Temperature are combined on the Vega which is alright I guess since I can monitor temp on the FiTech hand controller.Checking with a multi meter the Drk. Green wire from this dash light is direct to the bulb activated with ground and Pink Key On so I ran 2 wires to the Green,one from the FiTech fan controller which I can set at a desired temperature and the other from an old style oil pressure sender to the Green.Both these would trigger the light.
Grounded a Purple wire put on for the oil prea sender and turned key on
This is the oil prea stuff for the LS.A 16mm adapter and early sender with light to install at rear of block
The large HEI Red with does light with good voltage with Key On and Start positions so using that for the Smart Spark and the FiTech there are also wires going directly to Batt
Two hook ups were fused but one wire required to be fused so added that
Three diff size fuses so good idea to mark the fuse holders
Vegabee

Postby TimMcCabe » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:35 pm

You might want to put a diode on the oil and temp circuits so they do not back feed into each other at the bulb..

Cheers,
Tim
1972 TPI Vega T56 6 speed

Contact me for all of your Tachometer needs
TimMcCabe

Postby Vegabee » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:25 pm

Good,thanks.Which two of these? http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=12+ ... rmvSB=true and could you draw a schematic for ground switch oil sender with light and Grd. Sw.temp sender with light with one bulb with + at one side of socket and diodes in those - circuits.I am also looking into the tach signal situation because the tach signal wire from the Smart Spark has to be used on the input of the FI Tech but I also have to have a signal for the tach in the dash.Not sure one wire should be used to drive both.Do not want to corrupt the signal to the FI Tech computer.
Vegabee

Postby spencerforhire » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:57 pm

Either 1N4007 or 1N4001 would be way cheaper than the 1N5349 Zener diodes. Considering the OEM "temp/oil" light wasn't dioded from the factory, it's probably not necessary to isolate the two senders. Nothing else hooked to them anyway. You could find an empty idiot light hole in the cluster and have separate lights if you can find or make a transparent indicator like the others.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby TimMcCabe » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:35 pm

1N4007 should be fine, I was just concerned with back feeding the signal into the Fitech controller. You could just put 1 diode inline with the Fitech signal wire.
If you were just running a stock temp and oil pressure sensor, I would not worry about a diode.

Cheers,
Tim
1972 TPI Vega T56 6 speed

Contact me for all of your Tachometer needs
TimMcCabe

Postby spencerforhire » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:30 pm

Sorry; I had to go back and read that this was tied into the Fitech wiring. The Fitech should have a dedicated coolant temp sender; so what exactly is the reason for hooking the OEM "hot" coolant switch to the EFI fan control wire? If it's hot enough to turn on the light(250ish) the fan would already be on.
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

spencerforhire

Postby Vegabee » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:46 am

Thanks guys.Will put a diode between the light and Fi Tech control wire although I ground tested the light once already hope it didn't harm it.Which way should cathode face to?Hi Spencer how is the racing going?I had already set up the two speed fan and controller stand alone before I got the FI Tech so not using the fan wire.Had an idea of using it to turn on the 'Temp' at the dash instead of getting an adapter and temp sensor for the LS especially since the Fi Tech uses the OEM LS temp sender so just plugged it in.The fan wire is temp kick on adjustable so can have the light come on at any temp even.
Vegabee

Postby spencerforhire » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:48 am

All right; now I get it. You want to use the Fitech fan control output wire to turn on the light. So the banded end of the diode goes to the source of the negative signal, in your case the Fitech.
Racing is going ok, but not great. It seems this season if I'm on my game and cutting good lights, the car will find a way to fail, usually in the first round. If the car is performing flawlessly, I will invariably make a mistake. Lots of ways to lose a drag race, and I think I've found most of them, in fact I've invented a few new ones.
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck

spencerforhire

Postby Vegabee » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:36 pm

We're not to far from WIR Wis and never did like when racers go home 1st round thought they should try to do some thing about that.Was talking to a guy that pulled his 77 Vega from salvage and racing for ever with it.Had a 383 W tunnel ram intake he cut sections out and welded up through the years running 9s but didn't see him go,leaving after first round drat.
Added a 3rd brake light with a bright red LED strip at the metal rear interior moulding.This LED strip only lights one way + to+ and - to -
notched the piece for the wire and mounted on
grounded one wire and for the + wire should be connected to the brake light switch by the peddle.Snipped the old fuel pump wire not used any more and tested it to the front for continuity and hooked up the +
good idea these days with the small tail lights of older cars to have a third light if not too obtrusive looking
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:07 pm

Scotch Locked the old fuel pump wire from the rear to the White wire at the brake light switch
Since the cig lighter was eliminated for a vent cable needed charging port some where so browsed E-Bay found this nifty little guy.It has 2 USB cable ports and a voltage indicator in between
Tested and works
Also working on the shifter housing.trimmed some of the bottom per instructions
not a lot of room in the Vega dash but is some room at the back of the Hurst shifter housing so decided to put it there
bored out and finished with die bit
there is room for 2,one on each side but 1 will do for now
ready for charging
also put in another grommet for the Fi Tech hand held controller.Storing it in the glove box
That switch mounted in glove box turns the auto headlights off when the car is in garage and lights trip on when not needed
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:20 pm

Got a hold of one of these 'Super Turbo Blowers',no not for under the hood,but for some windshield defrost
Trimmed what was left of the ducting that branches to the defrost ducts and mounted right up to it.Test the air flow and the 2 speed blower puts a quite a breeze up the windshield.Only need it on summer evenings perhaps,will see if it works for that.
Hard wired in with a relay to 'Run' and power wire fused right from bat.Turn the blue knob to operate and is tucked up there as not to be noticed.Stereo up and running,sounding good.Also finished the starter solenoid hookup with a little anti theft trick I wish I could disclose but ya know..So now ready for the seats and rest of interior.
Vegabee

Postby 454spyder » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Very nice work. It has been quite a while since I logged in to the site and just found this. I actually found it through a google search of gas tank for my Monza!
Todd Allen
'77 Monza Spyder
7.4L EFI, Glide, T-Brake, Wet NOS, Mini-tubbed, and on and on and on...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2035660
454spyder

1977 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Vegabee » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:43 am

Cool.Well if you have $130 layin around you can put on on of these
A TPV8.This is a really neat valve that stops Gas vapor from evaporating out of a sitting tank.I searched for a cheaper alternative but could not find one even though it looks like these days even lawn mowers and fuel cans have vapor pressure relief valves of plastic on them.Something like that might be a workable alternative.I removed my vent filter and with some at different hose sizes made up a sub assembly
Trimmed the line back and installed high above the tank level
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:35 pm

Could not locate a 5/16 air filter nut and didn't want to just use a standard nut so got this 1/4 nylon and drilled/tapped to fit
The FI tech takes a 5/15 stud for the air filter.New nut now holds snug with no dust entering filter
Vegabee

Previous

Return to Project Journals