1974 Kammback-Grandmas Drag Car

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1974 Kammback-Grandmas Drag Car

Postby Grandmasvega » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:28 pm

Smiley wrote:Monzamouse brackets are made to fit a 3 inch tube so if using a Ford rear look for an early small web housing or an aftermarket reproduction sometimes called a hotrod housing.
The later ford housings and most aftermarket housings are wider webbed which will require reshaping of the upper control arm brackets to get them in the right place.

So a moser bare housing would have too large of a pumpkin? They make one called a round back retro style housing. Would that be more like what I wanted? Tubes are 3"
Grandmasvega

Postby Smiley » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:11 am

Sorry I forgot you have a 74 with the side filler.
It is a better option for 71 to 73 cars.
Most 40+ year old tanks are rusty inside and out, but are not reproduced.
The narrowed Camaro tank adds capacity and mounts in the center for more exhaust and tire clearance when mini tubbing.
the 69 Tank filler neck ends up behind the license plate like the original Vega tank (71-73)
454spyder narrowed his original tank you may also mod the floor and move the whole tank over a few inches.

454spyder wrote:If you plan to keep the stock tank and fuel filler location you also need to .....

Narrow the gas tank 3"! Everything moves 3" inward.

Here is how I did it. You must cut in the same place I did to preserve the tanks mounting the same way and fitting properly.

While I was at it, I sumped it and then did the Creem treatment to the inside. Bought the Creem kit from JC Whitney. Worked like a charm.

Smiley

Postby Smiley » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:44 am

Here are 2 pics of the Autoweld rear end, look at the upper control arm mounts they are on the incline area of the large web aftermarket housing. Their brackets and alignment fixture only work with that specific housing.
This is why they will not sell you their brackets or use your Ford housing.

[url=http://s910.photobucket.com/user/gswagon/media/72%20Vega%20update%20album%209-16/922_zps4twyeqbx.jpg.html]Image

[url=http://s910.photobucket.com/user/gswagon/media/72%20Vega%20update%20album%209-16/DSCF9018_zpsekexplpf.jpg.html]Image

12 bolt rear: look how close the upper brackets are to the center section, this is what Monzamouse's brackets are made to fit the straight 3" tube.
Smiley

Postby spencerforhire » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:48 am

In those pics of the Autoweld housing, I notice that the upper control arm brackets are almost centered on the housing; with the 9" having the pinion offset so far, won't this make the driveshaft really crooked in the tunnel? When I built the housing for my drag car, in order to have the driveshaft straight in line with the transmission, I had to weld the 4-link and shock brackets on 2" offset to the right.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Smiley » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:13 pm

Maybe 1100kaw2 will chime in, If IRRC it has a 1" offset. Here are the installed pics of his Autoweld 9 inch. It is not completely centered but there are no clearance issues.

Last edited by Smiley on Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smiley

Postby Grandmasvega » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:19 pm

Looking at the tank I may have to relocate in an inch or two, but overall looks like it will clear. I will modify as needed. As for the housing, I plan on keeping mounts in the stock location and narrowing just the outer mount to narrow it up to fit a heim. I will raise the upper mount a couple inches and add multiple holes for adjustment.
Grandmasvega

Postby Grandmasvega » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:20 pm

speedphreake wrote:Here is the LONG over do update to my minitub job. IT'S DONE.

I narrowed the rearend 2" myself. Bought a jig to do it and found out the axle tubes were bent 1/4" on one side, 3/8" on the other. In the process of narrowing, I was able to straighten them and get the rear perfectly straight. I left the suspension mounts in the stock location, but narrowed the lowers to get the room to narrow the rear. The spring mounts were moved in 2" per side. I had to send the axles out to have them shortened and resplined to fit the new narrowed housing.
Grandmasvega

Postby Grandmasvega » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:24 pm

Seen more nice rear ends here than Ive seen all week. :lol:
Grandmasvega

Postby Vegabee » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:01 pm

Housings on Ebay here http://www.ebay.com/itm/ford-9-inch-tex ... 1G&vxp=mtr
Here is the Monza link for mini tubbing with a Camaro torque arm.http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23454 On my Vega I removed the factory control arm mounts and went with a rear cross member up against the rear foot well and located lower front mounts on that(Chevelle length).He added 3" of with on each side and welded the added space together.On the wheel and rear end widths all depends on the wheel off set used which should be decided on first.With car at ride ht front and rear with no rear housing in it,place wheel/tires in wheel well on blocks exactly where you need them to be and run a tape measure from wheel mounting pad to pad.This is the total rear end width with brakes.Then might as well find engine/trans center line and line up with pinion and calculate the housing from there.
Last edited by Vegabee on Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vegabee

Postby spencerforhire » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:39 am

Now I see the offset on that aftermarket setup; 1" on the housing and 1" at the pinion works out the same. The 2" all at the housing on mine looks odd from the back, but with the tube chassis' driveshaft loops, it's necessary to have the pinion centered in the car. I started with an ancient 1959 "round-back" housing and added 3"x 1/4" DOM tubing axle tubes and a back brace. I had another 60's pickup truck housing, but the larger, tapered center section would have created issues with the 4-link brackets.
Interesting to see both housings together and compare the widths-
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Grandmasvega » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:18 pm

Im thinking along the lines of buying a moser complete minus brackets narrowed to 50". The 1" offset of the pinion doesnt concern me too much. Wheel offset isnt too much of a concern either as I will be ordering new wheels either way and can order them as needed. Since my car came linked, I'd like to stay with the 4 link over the 3.
Grandmasvega

Postby Vegabee » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Even the deep tunnel of the Vega likes the pinion centered,that raises problems with centering the engine and trans in the steering shaft area.Ideally the eng/trans/pinion should be perf lined up and only drive shaft angle up and down.I don't know where the motor mount/header swap kits put the engine/trans in the front of the car if it is off set to pass side and how much but the pinion center line may have to be taken off of that. A new rear can always be built for a few more $$ http://www.texracing.com/rear_page.html
Vegabee

Postby KZVEGA » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:31 pm

Grandmasvega wrote:Just got off the phone with Tom at autoweld chassis, they dont offer an option to narrow mounts, so it looks like Im back to a moser and fabbing mounts. Thanks for the info though. Hopefully selling the motorhome soon, and that will fund the new housing and center section.

I too asked them the same question, said no to me too. I went with moser as well. Monzamouse sells four link brackets that are very nice that I used.

Here's a pic of my setup. Moser fan 9" with Monzamouse brackets.

KZVEGA

Postby KZVEGA » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:38 pm

Grandmasvega wrote:
Smiley wrote:Monzamouse brackets are made to fit a 3 inch tube so if using a Ford rear look for an early small web housing or an aftermarket reproduction sometimes called a hotrod housing.
The later ford housings and most aftermarket housings are wider webbed which will require reshaping of the upper control arm brackets to get them in the right place.

So a moser bare housing would have too large of a pumpkin? They make one called a round back retro style housing. Would that be more like what I wanted? Tubes are 3"

Go with a fabricated, it's not much more and you'll never wish you would have gone to a fabricated. The can measures 15 1/4 so there's plenty of room to move in 2". It's a little tight with the uppers, the nut has to go to the inside but it works perfect. Also with the fabricated housing they cab offset the pinion any way you would like.
KZVEGA

Postby Grandmasvega » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:02 am

KZVEGA wrote:
Grandmasvega wrote:Just got off the phone with Tom at autoweld chassis, they dont offer an option to narrow mounts, so it looks like Im back to a moser and fabbing mounts. Thanks for the info though. Hopefully selling the motorhome soon, and that will fund the new housing and center section.

I too asked them the same question, said no to me too. I went with moser as well. Monzamouse sells four link brackets that are very nice that I used.

Here's a pic of my setup. Moser fan 9" with Monzamouse brackets.

Thats a nice set up. What was your width? Also, how much pinion offset did you have? Any pics of what you did as far as the mounts on the body? Sold my rv today and went to order moser rear, but summit said I would need to wait until monday. So everyone has until monday to help with ideas on what to do. Lol
Grandmasvega

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals