1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula: Project Phoenix

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula: Project Phoenix

Postby RedFiveKBS » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:56 pm

sportriderok wrote:A complete rewire isn't too difficult if you are going to have the whole thing torn down anyway. I've spent hours on my Vega's harness repairing rodent damage and general hackery. If I'd replaced it, it would be running instead of buried in the corner.

That is my thought exactly. I think the inside is mostly good but the engine bay one I have zero confidence in working. The connectors all seem to be fried and I saw some other wires spliced into places that make you go, "WTH?". Even the inside has some cuts and "modifications" so why not just replace the whole damn thing. The car will be down to its base components before being completely rebuilt so I will have full access. My only fear is thinking of something to add AFTER I have it partly back together. :shock:
RedFiveKBS

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:20 am

Good Time for a list, take this list to car shows, and your "Hot Rodding buddies" place, well you get the idea and make a note of anything that seems like you might want. For example Fog Lights, Driving lights, speakers 2 front 2 rear + Subs and the Amp to drive them etc. I would also make sure you have wiring for your transmission if you are going with a modern OD one, and maybe a bigger wire and the requirements for a relay for the fuel pump(?) Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RedFiveKBS » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:29 pm

Harry, Great idea! I will be adding some upgrades in audio so I may want to think about all the additional needs before I get too far along. I am still in the process of disassembly. I was out travelling for work this week so no progress made. :(

I did pick up a pair of NOS turn signal housings for it. I need to find a nice set of grills and surrounds since mine are pretty beat. I found a few places that will rechrome the plastic but it sure isn't cheap.
NOS Turn Signals.jpg

I hope to spend some time in the garage this weekend pulling more bits and cataloging stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:02 pm

Had a buddy blast and powder coat my F41 sway bars.

Came out nice but I need to have him redo one end. It got a big chip in it during shipping. :(

sway.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RedFiveKBS

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:36 am

Kevin I found out about this place from someone I know and he was very happy with the results and the price: http://vacuumorna-metal.com/content/restoration [this is "vacuum metalizing" likely what the factory used back then] and of course the big Platers also do this but they are expensive, they quoted me at a show ~2 years ago ~$120 or more to re-flash 1 front turn signal [if I took it apart] that was "Advance" here is a link for them: http://www.advancedplating.com/site/ Can you post up your contacts for all to share they may be more reasonable depending on what we may want done and where we are. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:47 am

Thanks, Harry! I emailed the vacuum place. I've had quotes on replating the grill surrounds from $135 each to $250 each. I know it is not cheap but I cannot find a set of NOS ones. There was one grill on eBay for a long time for $135. If they had a pair I probably would have bought them.

This is out of my 1976 Sunbird. The 1980 ones are a little different but I'd expect the prices to be about the same.
grill.jpg

I also asked them about plating center caps. I have a buddy working on recasting these for me in polyurethane since I cannot find them anywhere. I borrowed this one from Ron Lee for making the mold. Of course, as soon as I borrowed it I found a single NOS one on eBay for $25. Bought it immediately.
thumbnail_WP_20161129_001.jpg

All the little parts are what really finish a car off. I am a looooooooooooooong way to needing them all but I know it will take a while to accumulate them too.

Gotta buy them when you see them. :D
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:18 pm

I decided I sat on the couch enough and got a kerosene torpedo heater for the garage. I only have to run it for a few minutes to get the garage up to a comfortable temperature. I am a bit surprised that the garage stays warm for a good 30 minutes or more before I have to run it again.

I pulled the front fenders, header panel, and finished stripping most of the front of the car. The cowl was full of debris which rotted the bottom out. I'll be cutting a big hole in here to clean it out and treat it for rust. I was surprised at just how much crap was in here. Yes, that red solo cup was in there somehow.
crap.jpg

The AC unit was a little harder to pull out than I expected but I got it out. It was also packed with crap and the hole around the blower has some rust. I guess I'll be trimming it out and welding in some new metal here.
ac.jpg

Pulled the rest of the engine bay wiring and other stuff. Good thing I already resolved myself to rewire the entire car. Check out the fuse block. It was packed with mud from wasps.
muddy.jpg

I also pulled the bumper and windshield after to took this picture.
stripped.jpg

I hope to get the rest of the interior stripped out this week. Need to get the rotisserie soon too!
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:30 pm

More disassembly today. Only worked for three hours but managed to finish cleaning out the inside.

Faceless.jpg

I'm going to smack my buddy that I bought it from for cutting the speaker holes in the B pillar areas. Ugh...

cleaned out.JPG

Sort of surprised the battery tray is intact. I am thinking of relocating the battery to the spare tire well but now I think I'll leave it in the original spot and use the well for audio stuff.

Battery Tray.jpg

This is the worst spot I've really found. It goes all the way through the cowl and out the bottom of the car. Going to need a lot of rework here.

hole.jpg

I have to start planning to get my rotisserie. I'll need it sooner rather than later. :dance:
RedFiveKBS

Postby sportriderok » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:47 pm

That actually doesn't look too bad for sitting so long.
sportriderok

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Coupe

Postby RedFiveKBS » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:18 am

sportriderok wrote:That actually doesn't look too bad for sitting so long.

Right on. It could have been much worse. The header panel is really rough but I have a replacement. I think the lack of a hood really is what killed the header panel. It allowed water to get in every time it rained and it just sat in there and rotting it out. The floors will need a lot of patching but not too bad. Just that one spot in the drivers foot area is concerning.

I looked at the silver door and Its not too bad. The bottom is fixable. There is a hole in the top of the window frame that may be a challenge. The other door is shot. I have a buddy that has a pair of doors he is selling me that are in pretty good shape. They'll need work but they are workable.

Heading to Marietta, GA Friday to get my wide body kit. Its a 10+hour drive each way. I also located a windshield in Columbus, OH that I will pick up on the way home so two birds, one trip....for a bird!! :D
map.png

I must be nuts. I have been all over the eastern US to get this car and parts for it. LOL
map2.jpg
RedFiveKBS

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:02 am

Well Kevin now the Monza'Que will be one of the shorter trips, just north of Toronto, that will be a shorty compared to some of those listed! As for the travel, that is what makes this fun isn't it? Harry :burn: :burnout:
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby mahoy78spyder » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:02 pm

So cool you're actually getting the IMSA kit. This is gonna be one badass Sunbird!
Ken Mahoy
'78 C06 Monza Spyder
mahoy78spyder

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby RedFiveKBS » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:27 pm

Monza Harry wrote:Well Kevin now the Monza'Que will be one of the shorter trips, just north of Toronto, that will be a shorty compared to some of those listed! As for the travel, that is what makes this fun isn't it? Harry :burn: :burnout:

I need to get my damn passport for that one! On the list for sure!! You going to the Monza'Que, Harry??

mahoy78spyder wrote:So cool you're actually getting the IMSA kit. This is gonna be one badass Sunbird!

Yep! It is loaded in my rental minivan. 11 hour drive was a little more than I would have liked. Kit is in need of some work but the fascia and fenders are great. Door pieces and quarter panel pieces need some work. The spoiler needs a LOT of work. At least there is no rust! LOL :th:

11 hour drive home tomorrow with a pit stop to grab a windshield. Two birds, one trip, for a Sunbird. :lol:
RedFiveKBS

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:30 am

I don't have any presently visible encumbrances' to stop me, but it is a ways off. So I plan for a yes as of right now! Harry :D
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:37 am

OK. I decided that 24-hr round trips for parts is a little crazy. I was exhausted after the two way drive but I made it home with the kit and a windshield.

The fenders and front fascia were never mounted on a car. They are in perfect condition. The door pieces and quarter pieces were mounted at one point and will need some work to get them back into shape. The spoiler is really beat up but it is not a complex shape so fixing it should not be too terribly bad. I'll need to figure out how to mix these fenders with the Sunbird grills. The fenders are wider than the Sunbird header panel. One idea is that the grills fit nicely (height wise) into the fiberglass Monza nose. I may just need to cut this up and fit the Sunbird's grills into it. The split in the middle may be a challenge. Need to think this one out a bit.
Wide 1.JPG
Wide 2.JPG

There is a hand written part number inside the fender but Google didn't return anything on it. I am curious on who made the kit. It seems pretty well made and old. Any ideas on the maker?
Wide 4.JPG

It came with this hood too. Note that it does not have the blister in the center. It is flat there. Seems odd to me. Maybe the idea is that it was flat so you could cut an opening easier to mount a scoop?
Wide 3.JPG

I stopped in Columbus, OH to pick up this windshield too. The antenna connection is missing but I am thinking of adding one of those shark fin looking ones to the car for better reception and satellite.
window.JPG
RedFiveKBS

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals