The LSx swap thread.. Parts lists and $$

Moderator: Moderators

The LSx swap thread.. Parts lists and $$

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:58 am

Hello all, this thread is to compile a reasonably comprehensive list of what all is used in an engine swap that's getting more common place, a swap to a modern LSx engine... 4.8 /5.3/6.0 if I'm not mistaken.

Basic's:

Motor mount conversion plate: Needed info = Part #'s / Cost's $$$ / and best sources.

Oil Pan:

Exhaust option's:

Steering shaft mods req??

Transmissions options: incl; Clutch parts, shifter's, torque arm solutions, Cross member mod's /solutions.

Cooling System:

Induction: Carb? Stock W/Fuel inj and computer?

Req Chassis Mod's :

Req Suspension Mod's:

Please discuss and share what ya know!

This is a sticky thread that will remain at the top.

Last note; I havent done much research on this topic as of this writing so if there's already some well informed threads,, Let me know and I'll link to them.
as the discussion rolls on... the list above will be updated..
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Re: The LSx swap thread.. Parts lists and $$

Postby Vegabee » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:06 pm

Vegabee

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:05 am

Thanks, great read's. Led me into another thread late last night, with a ton of idea's.

On a personal note...
With the knowledge I gained last night.... if I want to emphasize "simple" and "budget" in a swap for more power (not a show car), then I'd be wise to settle for an automatic. The clutch parts to adapt a stock 4 speed transmission are still pretty cost prohibitive. Go the route of T56 or other transmissions and another whole bucket of time and money are needed. You know the deal.

But a TH350 will bolt up with some simple and more budget friendly items, and then bolt's right in everywhere else. You just have to live without that overdrive... I'm thinking keep the tires short...24" or less... run a lower numerical rear gear like a 2.56 or a 2.73 and maybe a converter with a mild stall to keep the rev's up. For me the bright sides of going with a tried and true but mundane TH350 is they can be a little more forgiving to the chassis and drivetrain, especially and aging chassis like this one. And lastly they respond well to "manual-matic" operation. I think I even have a B&M shifter somewhere..

marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby monzaaddict » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:33 pm

you could do a saginaw with the stock cable but fabrication will be involved. You would need a sachs 1050 flywheel. You could use ls pressure plate and disc or redrill for sbc pressure plate. You would need large bellhousing which will likely need the one mounting tab removed like a stock monza bellhousing and the reinforcing ribs in the area would need to be ground. An internal hydraulic throwout bearing would be easiest. ( I am working on a bracket to mount a ls camaro clutch master to a early clutch pedal assembly right now). Don hardy sold a kit that allowed a modified monza clutch fork into a standard bellhousing with the fork exiting the opening in the horizontal position. A bracket was included to mount the cable. I have these parts somewhere . I doubt the bracket would fit directly on an ls but the concept would be the same. A taller throwout bearing may be needed if mixing ls flywheel with sbc pressure plate and using the stock fork. This guy has the don hardy modified fork and bracket although the pictures don't offer much detail. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42861
http://s695.photobucket.com/user/wood55 ... x.jpg.html

I believe darrell memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4628 modified a scattershied to use a stock clutch fork or if lakewood still makes a monza specific scattershield then that would likely work. I threw out perfectly good one about 20 years ago - oh well!

In my opinion hydraulics are ultimately the cheapest, easiest, best route.
monzaaddict

Postby monzaaddict » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:01 pm

I have been collecting info in the links here for my eventual ls swap. I wrote this years ago. Some info is no longer accurate. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33358

I don't believe an ls swap could be done cleanly for less than $3000 (probably more) and that would be with a 5.3 or 4.8 used engine, used parts as much as possible, as many ebay deals as can be had, carbureted, etc.

you need an engine, mounts, intake, pan, kit to modify pan, oil pickup, welding, manifolds, exhaust mods, water pump, brackets, accessories, electric fan, bellhousing, flywheel, fabrication, possible steering shaft mods, lots of misc. stuff. If you go injected then the costs go up - you need a harness. If you go dbw the cost go up again. If you go injected and your engine is not stock then add tuning costs.

You could add ls electronics to you sbc using parts by eficonnection
https://www.eficonnection.com/home/cate ... fi-24x-sbc
monzaaddict

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:28 pm

I've seen some for sale complete.. Intake, Harness, Computer's. From wrecked truck's and such. Most have been iron block engines though. Even without PS the steering shaft needs to be changed??

marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:25 am

Marco are you contemplating an "LS" in your future, and for which car? Or is this an exercise in Mental Mas :censored: tion. I keep thinking about this but that would mean more money and another 5>10 years! :bang: I will stay old school SBC, but it is nice to dream! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:42 am

Monza Harry wrote:Marco are you contemplating an "LS" in your future, and for which car? Or is this an exercise in Mental Mas :censored: tion. I keep thinking about this but that would mean more money and another 5>10 years! :bang: I will stay old school SBC, but it is nice to dream! Harry

White Formula. A used motor, and budget swap would be the right idea. Ultimate idea being a crusty rod, that looks pretty cool, and I don't mind beating on. On a budget that makes sense for the cars condition, solid enough for a V* but to far gone for an economical restoration, and not enough budget or desire to make it a real track car.

The list here, is a handy all-in-one info list for anyone contemplating this swap, with all the latest idea's in one place.

Let's exhaust manifolds or headers, is there a set that allows use of the stock steering shaft? I've heard of trailblazer manifolds being sought after, but not if they actually clear the steering shaft.

I'm looking for an aluminum block to get that great handling, and acceleration.

marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby cosvega76 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:14 am

It's hard to see in the photos, but the Flyin' Turd used Trailblazer manifolds with no steering shaft issues:

http://www.schwartzperformance.com/1972 ... ying-turd/

I have the engine-to-frame mounts from that car if you're really serious about proceeding.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:30 pm

Thanks Chuck, I have a set of V8 frame horns as well. I'll only be serious about proceeding after piecing together this list and the project into more definite terms.

marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby 1100kaw2 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:02 pm

I used the Trail Blazer manifolds like Jeff. I would say they are pretty good over all. But.... After I already commited. Hooker and some other companies now have come up with price effect Manifolds that look to me would work even better. 4 or so years ago I went looking for T B manifolds. When I found them. Salvage yard wanted $200 bucks for them. Its like they knew ....right. When I finally had enough thought to ask. How they knew these loose manifolds where off a TB. he told me he took them off the Engine, sitting on the shelf. I inquired about the engine. It Was an LM4, all alum. 5.3 with 19k miles. Sooooo. I bought it! $1200/w the manifolds... Duh.... and sold the cast block 130k mile motor I had sitting at home. Best deal I lucked into on the entire build.
Darrell

72 LS-5spd.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=33788
1100kaw2

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:28 am

Too few swaps have been done to get any definitive answers. No two use the same mounts and therefore engine position varies. With the tight confines of the engine compartment what fits for one swap likely will not fit with the engine positioning of another.
The powerbyace mounts and pan kit are supposed to position the engine crankshaft height and offset towards passenger side and bellhousing mounting surface in the same spot as a stock v8. The schwartz car has the engine higher in the chassis and possibly further forward. I doubt trailblazer manifolds are going to fit with powerbyace mounts. Powerbyace mounts should allow the stock tranny mount to be used with a 4 speed or t350. Sanderson ls s10 shorty headers should fit the h body chassis. The only area that I see possible interference is by the coupler/flex joint nearest the steering box. With the ls engine offset to the passenger side like a factory v8 they may clear. An aftermarket flex joint may be needed at the bottom or multiple flex joints.
Bill had his engine in the stock position and used 98 stamped f body manifolds with the drivers side flange cut down to match a standard 3 bolt collector reducer and he put a single aftermarket flex joint in place of the stock steering coupler. Powerbyace headers allow pb, ps and no steering mods. The only thing I don't like is the passenger side rear tube goes over the frame like hooker 2129's. I am not sure if it would interfere with turning radius. I also am leaning towards manifolds. I had enough of smashed tubes, collectors and rust. (although hooker 2135's were nice )
The heater box will have to be spaced back on the inside and the outer cover shortened for valve cover clearance.
A tall truck intake is not going to clear the hood. There is no way I can see to have an alternator ps pump and ac all together. ps or ac pick which you want more. ls3 corvette water pump is the tightest toward engine and has the upper neck on the drivers side allowing easiest connection to stock radiator outlets and maximum room for an electric fan. I am going with a volvo fan which is about the same size as the stock radiator but will need a custom fiberglass shroud.
You have to decide if you are going carbureted or injection. If injected cable operated or dbw. One benefit of dbw is the relatively simple cruise control hookup.
You have to modify the gas tank for a high pressure pump.In my opinion for a driver go with an aluminum block it will help alleviate the excessive front end weight of a v8 monza and act as a heat sink shedding heat and allowing the stock radiator to be used.

And on and on - I will write more another time.
Last edited by monzaaddict on Mon May 07, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monzaaddict

Postby monzaaddict » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:35 am

this article shows the don hardy clutch fork and c able bracket for a standard bellhousing. A similar bracket could be used on an ls

http://picclick.ca/1972-Don-Hardy-V8-Ve ... id=1&pid=1
monzaaddict

Postby 6D9 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:24 pm

Has anyone tried the Moroso 20140 oil pan?? Looks like lots of clearance and a decent price.
72 Vega GT...406 sbc..TH700R4...3.42 gear...235/60/15 MT DR's....11.54 at 118.6..Dad's car
72 Vega GT...4cyl..4 speed..all stock
6D9

Postby Old Rob » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:17 am

The modifications to the F body, pan are mainly to accommodate the tie rod ends as they start to go under on the left and go under approx 2" on the right. It is deep enough in the center for most full length windage trays.
To do an LSx swap is about 6-8 hundred dollars more than a SBC. The engines, 4.8L / 5.3L / 6.0L have gotten pretty cheap as their availability has increased. Alum block versions still can be pricey.
The Power by Ace header on the right is tight into the triangle created by the lower control arm and the frame. High offset wheel, the tire will hit the frame first.
Old Rob

Next

Return to Engine Tech