1974 Kammback-Grandmas Drag Car

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1974 Kammback-Grandmas Drag Car

Postby Grandmasvega » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:09 am

Damnit kzvega, youre going to convince me to spend the extra $300 dollars. Any sponsors out there?? :lol:
Grandmasvega

Postby Vegabee » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:09 pm

This is a neat Torque arm set up although for Camaro to could be made to work well with longer lower control arms
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-Inch ... -Axles.htm
here also but prob need to be narrower
https://www.swracecars.com/store/Bolt-I ... 5-450.aspx
custom made 9"
http://www.racingjunk.com/Driveline/169 ... ebird.html
https://www.swracecars.com/store/Torque ... 0-618.aspx
Maybe one of these customized for Vega specs
http://www.quickperformance.com/QP-GM-1 ... _p_55.html
Looks like these 9' torque arm brackets mount on the left side so the pinion could sit offset to the right maybe an inch or so where the engine/trans may be sitting up front.that would give clearance for the steering shaft and the arm and drive shaft to run in the tunnel.
Vegabee

Postby KZVEGA » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:08 pm

Grandmasvega wrote:
KZVEGA wrote:
Grandmasvega wrote:Just got off the phone with Tom at autoweld chassis, they dont offer an option to narrow mounts, so it looks like Im back to a moser and fabbing mounts. Thanks for the info though. Hopefully selling the motorhome soon, and that will fund the new housing and center section.

I too asked them the same question, said no to me too. I went with moser as well. Monzamouse sells four link brackets that are very nice that I used.

Here's a pic of my setup. Moser fan 9" with Monzamouse brackets.

Thats a nice set up. What was your width? Also, how much pinion offset did you have? Any pics of what you did as far as the mounts on the body? Sold my rv today and went to order moser rear, but summit said I would need to wait until monday. So everyone has until monday to help with ideas on what to do. Lol

Overall axle flange to axle flange is 52" 2.25 shorter that stock. Pinion offset is standard GM .50. The mounts are stock location just cut out out the wheel tub with mounts and all and moved everything in 2". Lol I'll see what I can do to convince. I ordered mine directly from moser, but they are located one state over from me. Also helps to know what brake setup you're using if you get axles and all so they can make the flange fit in the rotor hat.
KZVEGA

Postby KZVEGA » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:15 pm

Grandmasvega wrote:Damnit kzvega, youre going to convince me to spend the extra $300 dollars. Any sponsors out there?? :lol:

KZVEGA

Postby Grandmasvega » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:21 pm

Perfect. 52" was what I tried to order last night, but now youve convinced me to go fabbed housing, so Im glad they couldnt complete it. Last moser rear end I ordered we got through summit because they actually ended up being cheaper than moser direct. I plan on ordering with moser economy disc brakes. I am going to do a crossmember on the rear though and run lower control arm mounts off that. Thanks for the info and the nudge towards a fabbed rear. Looks great.
Grandmasvega

Postby Grandmasvega » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:54 pm

KZVEGA wrote:
Grandmasvega wrote:Just got off the phone with Tom at autoweld chassis, they dont offer an option to narrow mounts, so it looks like Im back to a moser and fabbing mounts. Thanks for the info though. Hopefully selling the motorhome soon, and that will fund the new housing and center section.

I too asked them the same question, said no to me too. I went with moser as well. Monzamouse sells four link brackets that are very nice that I used.

Here's a pic of my setup. Moser fan 9" with Monzamouse brackets.

On your top link, did you change anything on the body, or just narrow the body mount? Also, on the housing, do monzas brackets raise the mounting holes like many advise to do to help with getting geometry correct?
Grandmasvega

Postby KZVEGA » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:26 pm

I cut everything out with the wheel tub, mounts and all.

Below is the tub and the 2" strip cut out.

Then cut a 2" strip out of each side and put it all back together.

Monsamouses brackets don't correct the geometry but there is drawing on here for them to fan your own. I'll see if I can find it.
KZVEGA

Postby Grandmasvega » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:42 am

KZVEGA wrote:I cut everything out with the wheel tub, mounts and all.

Below is the tub and the 2" strip cut out.

Then cut a 2" strip out of each side and put it all back together.

Monsamouses brackets don't correct the geometry but there is drawing on here for them to fan your own. I'll see if I can find it.

Makes more sense now. I planned on doing the tubs similar to speedphreaks, but will have to think about it now after seeing yours
Grandmasvega

Postby chevyart » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:20 pm

someone asked about the offset of the engine. with the hooker and TD mount, the engine is offset 1 1/4" to the passenger sid, picture that smiley posted shows this offset(1` 1/4") and the picture that KZvega shows, the engine looks offset slightly towards the drivers side i also think the stock vega axle is 49 3/8s, axle flange to axle flange(backing plate to backing plate) think it was KZvega thAT SAID HIS WAS 52" AND SAID THIS WAS 2.25 INCHES SHORTER THAN STOCK VEGS. THINK HE MIGHT HAVE MEANT 2.25" LONGER THAN STOCK VEGA AXLE. I think we are talking about the same places we are taking our measurements from. i also think if ordering the custom housing, we would ask for a 1 1/4" pinion offset to match the engine offset, and there would still be enough clearance in the driveshaft tunnel. would someone please verify what i have just mentioned. i could be wrong with my measurements of my thinking of how things should be art
chevyart

Postby spencerforhire » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:59 pm

The accepted width of a stock H-body rear end is 54.5", outside measurement at axles.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby KZVEGA » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:51 pm

chevyart wrote:someone asked about the offset of the engine. with the hooker and TD mount, the engine is offset 1 1/4" to the passenger sid, picture that smiley posted shows this offset(1` 1/4") and the picture that KZvega shows, the engine looks offset slightly towards the drivers side i also think the stock vega axle is 49 3/8s, axle flange to axle flange(backing plate to backing plate) think it was KZvega thAT SAID HIS WAS 52" AND SAID THIS WAS 2.25 INCHES SHORTER THAN STOCK VEGS. THINK HE MIGHT HAVE MEANT 2.25" LONGER THAN STOCK VEGA AXLE. I think we are talking about the same places we are taking our measurements from. i also think if ordering the custom housing, we would ask for a 1 1/4" pinion offset to match the engine offset, and there would still be enough clearance in the driveshaft tunnel. would someone please verify what i have just mentioned. i could be wrong with my measurements of my thinking of how things should be art

I'm referring to the actual Axel flange, not the housing flange where the backing plate would be.

Difference in mine too is I'm using a motor plate, but with the location the Don Hardy mounts would put it.
KZVEGA

Postby waybad » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:31 pm

can't wait to see more of this,, are you keeping the back seat?
Tinker
waybad

Postby Grandmasvega » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:26 pm

KZVEGA wrote:
chevyart wrote:someone asked about the offset of the engine. with the hooker and TD mount, the engine is offset 1 1/4" to the passenger sid, picture that smiley posted shows this offset(1` 1/4") and the picture that KZvega shows, the engine looks offset slightly towards the drivers side i also think the stock vega axle is 49 3/8s, axle flange to axle flange(backing plate to backing plate) think it was KZvega thAT SAID HIS WAS 52" AND SAID THIS WAS 2.25 INCHES SHORTER THAN STOCK VEGS. THINK HE MIGHT HAVE MEANT 2.25" LONGER THAN STOCK VEGA AXLE. I think we are talking about the same places we are taking our measurements from. i also think if ordering the custom housing, we would ask for a 1 1/4" pinion offset to match the engine offset, and there would still be enough clearance in the driveshaft tunnel. would someone please verify what i have just mentioned. i could be wrong with my measurements of my thinking of how things should be art

I'm referring to the actual Axel flange, not the housing flange where the backing plate would be.

Difference in mine too is I'm using a motor plate, but with the location the Don Hardy mounts would put it.

Well shit, I ordered my pinion to stock gm .50" offset.
Grandmasvega

Postby Grandmasvega » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:30 pm

KZVEGA wrote:

Difference in mine too is I'm using a motor plate, but with the location the Don Hardy mounts would

Am I going to run into issues now? My mounts I believe are hooker or atleast hooker style. They have one bolt coming up through the bottom. Ill get pictures when I get to work. Hope I didnt just spend 3k on a rear end that wont work....still waiting to get the final price and call back from summit, so of this isnt correct someone please let me know so I can modify before they finalize it.
Grandmasvega

Postby Grandmasvega » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:30 pm

waybad wrote:can't wait to see more of this,, are you keeping the back seat?

Thaks! And yes I will be keeping the back seat, where else is the baby seat supposed to go? Lol
Grandmasvega

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals