Ft spirng removal pictorial (part 1 & 2 )

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Ft spirng removal pictorial (part 1 & 2 )

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:44 am

If they are poly bushings you can tighten them up with the car in the air. If they are rubber then you need to have the car at ride height before tightening them. Otherwise you will put a twist in the rubber at normal height.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby chevy art » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:26 pm

all good points to help make things safe and easy thanks art
chevy art

Postby jaloi » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:41 pm

I'm in the process of putting the v8 Monza springs in mine now but the internal compressor from auto zone wont work.No room.The bolt's too long and the coils are too close together to get the shoe in.If I do get it in the hooks and plate are only 2" apart so won't compress enough to getout.Also Externals won't work so looks like seperating the lower ball joint's gonna be the way to go...any other suggestions?
jaloi

Postby jaloi » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:48 pm

I'm in the process of putting the v8 Monza springs in mine now but the internal compressor from auto zone wont work.No room.The bolt's too long and the coils are too close together to get the shoe in.If I do get it in the hooks and plate are only 2" apart so won't compress enough to getout.Also Externals won't work so looks like seperating the lower ball joint's gonna be the way to go...any other suggestions? @fasterthanhandsome "Thats the same style compressor I use for my vega. I have about 5 different styles from Kent Moor to Craftsman and the snap on that looks like the one you picture is the only one that I found fits. I put the hook deal up through the spring and that plate under the control arm." Then what??
jaloi

Postby monzaaddict » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:49 pm

monzaaddict

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:23 am

Jaloi Take your springs to a "Spring Shop" and have them "banded" as this will remove the need for a spring compressor, still not a walk in the park, but doable. Put them in and button up the assembly then with "some weight"* on the car cut the bands. I have removed and installed springs in a few H-Bodies and not much fun for sure, a great deal of caution is required I remember using the internal 4 "finger(?)" compressor maybe they come in sizes, the one I borrowed worked but I don't remember the details, perhaps I had to dismantle to remove afterwards(?). Harry [*like mostly assembled weight]
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby jaloi » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:07 pm

I got them in.Wasn't all that bad.Seperated the lower ball joints and did it that way.Except for the Pro Comp headers having to come off to clear the control arm to drop it enough on the passenger side.Driver's side wasn't a problem.Used the v8 Monza a/c springs with 1 3/4 coils cut off to match the stock springs and with a little help from a pry bar got them into the seats enough to grab so I could jack the arms back up.Glad I did it.Welded the hairline crack in the driver's side control arm I found while I was into it! Just waiting on the drag shocks now.Picked the front end up about 3 inches.Maybe the headers won't scrape any more!
jaloi

Postby zzip » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:27 pm

Thx
Peter
1988 Monza L4 2.5L
1989 Monza Spyder L4 2.5L
1990 Monza Spyder V6 3.2L
1991 Monza Spyder V6 3.8L
2013 Monza V6 3.8L
2014 Starfire V6 3.8L
zzip

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Previous