Calipers

Moderator: Moderators

Calipers

Postby jaloi » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:59 pm

Sorry guys.I know I'm gonna take a ribbing on this,lol,but it's been 30 years since I took calipers off a Vega.Haven't gotten a manual for it yet.How do they come off again? lol. After the c clips and pins of course...Pretty sad. Can build a motor but can't remember how to get the calipers off! I know the tube inside needs to come out but they're frozen and don't wanna chance forcing them out the wrong side... be gentle,lol
jaloi

Re: Calipers

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:11 pm

After the pins are off you should be able to just lift them off. I assume you can't spin the rotors? Sounds like they are stuck to the rotor. Unless you have some sort of residual pressure on the calipers keeping them squeezed to the rotors.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby jaloi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:09 pm

No,that's what has me puzzled.They're not stuck, Rotors are clean and turn easily.It's a running car.They didnt want to seem to lift off and having been so many years since I've changed any on a Vega I didn't want to force them.When it gets above zero again I'll take another look at them lol. Thanks
jaloi

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:26 am

There are flats on the plastic tube holders that need to be lined up with the caliper bracket on the spindle. Depending on how long they've been on there they may need a little "persuading" to get off.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby jaloi » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:36 am

I thoughtaybe.Couldn't see the flats but I was pretty sure that's how they used to be.Must have rotated on me. Grandson's coming to help put the drag shocks on today (he's 4 and it's HIS car,just ask him ;) ) and I'll take a closer look. Thanks for the refresher. Like I said,been years.Think the last time I did pads on a Vega was maybe '82? lol
jaloi

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech