LOOKING FOR USED HEADERS OR PARTS FOR HOOKER

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

LOOKING FOR USED HEADERS OR PARTS FOR HOOKER

Postby JAVIERVEGAV8 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:11 pm

My name is Mr. Perez from Puerto Rico (Former US Army Reserve Drill Sergeant Unit First Sergeant and Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran). Here's the thing, I have a 1972 Vega with a 350 that came original in a 1972 Z28 with original flat top one relief pistons, forged crank and rods, wind age tray, ported 186 casting heads, 280 crane cam, 1.6 rollers, dual intake topped with a 750cfm vac sec Holley carb, MSD 6A. Trans is a 350 with 3,000 stall. Rear end is a Chrysler 3:90 posi unit. The car has been in the family for many years, some of the time without engine as a never ending story project"". The headers are hooker 1/3/4 tubes, but now are in bad shape. We been patching the damaged tubes for a while, but still leaking on joins. I recently started a new job and investing on new hookers or cc13 are out of question.

Does anyone has a decent header set or some parts from a hooker?

I also have a pair of Monza v8 exhaust manifolds, that were ported on intake and exhaust....Looking at my specs, can I use those?

I will appreciate any Info.
JAVIERVEGAV8

Re: LOOKING FOR USED HEADERS OR PARTS FOR HOOKER

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:48 am

Mr. Perez here is a link to shed some light on your subject: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44987 And there is a video by David Frieberger of HotRod magazine fame showing a dyno run with them beating the header tubes and then the resulting HP gains believe it or not. I did a "Real Quick Search" and couldn't find it, but with some patients you will. If you check some of the "Project Journals" you will see that with the "LS V8's with manifolds" there are some phenomenal output results. The stock Gen 1 SBC's Monza manifolds aren't described as free flowing and they would hurt performance over a nice set of pipes, but exhaust is better than none. I have some beat up what I believe to be "Don Hardy" [originally I thought these were "Hedman" headers but through input from this board I now believe "Don Hardy"]headers, the old ones at 1.5" OD tubing in the "For Sale" section but these are for front mount style cars only and aren't a first choice. I hope this is helpful information and doesn't add to the confusion! Harry viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44692 P.S. Welcome aboard this forum! :D
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby JAVIERVEGAV8 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:26 am

Thanks for the information, very helpful. The engine has front solid mounts. The car once ran in the upper 12's with another 350, with .040 over bored flat tops, an open hi rise, a double pumper, crane 500 x 500 lift solid cam and Holley blue electric fuel pump. Back on those days, use to be a daily driver (90's, when the gas price was low). Now with the new advantages, like internet and "lesson learned experience", I did this new engine with less, and honestly, the car feels like close enough to the way it was, more enjoyable, less hi temps and a much better gas mileage. Now, the intake is a performer low rise, but divider slightly cut in the middle (providing low torke and some upper to), the new cam is hydraulic with 280 advertise, .460 x .460 but cause' I'm using 1.6 rollers, it's around the .480 x .480. Still having the early 186 casting from the previous engine, 2.02 x 1.60 valves, massive porting job on intake and exhaust, only springs changed to the actual cam. Thin metal head gasket. Re curved Hei electronic ignition with advance springs. Now the vacuum is connected to open manifold source. Still using early msd 6 module. The holley rear vacuum became an advantage over the double pumper. Top grinder and ported around venturi edges. When I press the pedal to the floor, it opens full primaries and the engine accelerates real clean, then secondaries opens and you fill it wonderful without starving or hesitation. Rear tires: Mickey Thompson 15'x 28"x12.5" street sportsman mounted on early Graggar Tricks rims. I spent more than 3 years collecting freebies, having donors from other retire folks with leftovers. We estimate is around 10:2.1 or close to 10:5 compression, but it withstand 93 pump gas. The lower torke is impressive. If I will now this back on the 90's, I would't spend so much money.

Once again, Thanks for your advice, you make up my mind, I will save money and get a pair of CC13 Headers.

Happy new year. Blessings for you and your family.
JAVIERVEGAV8

Postby avewhtboy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:20 am

I have a set of used Hooker 2129 headers for sale, I removed them to install Sandersons for more tire and ground clearance

Are you in Puerto Rico? I don't know what to do about shipping there.

If you are interested shoot me a pm here.

Rick
avewhtboy

Postby JAVIERVEGAV8 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:12 am

Rick,

I have some relatives on the states. How much you asking? Also, Can you post some pics?
JAVIERVEGAV8

Postby avewhtboy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:51 am

I will take $250 plus shipping for them I am in 30084 zip code if you want to get a shipping quote to your family's location.

They sealed up with no leaks just have a few dings in them.

avewhtboy

Postby JAVIERVEGAV8 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:33 pm

Rick

Hoping you had a good new years celebration. I just find out that the cost for sending them to Florida or Pennsylvania were my family is located, is not to high, but re sending them to PR adds some additional cost, that at the final end is close or the same that buying new CC13 Sandersons. Those are the same type I been using for more than 15 years. Your price is OK, but unfortunately shipping costs kills me. Ironically, I was at FT Benning a couple months ago. Any way thanks for your offer. :D

Blessings for you and your family
JAVIERVEGAV8

Postby avewhtboy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:53 pm

JAVIERVEGAV8 wrote:Rick

Hoping you had a good new years celebration. I just find out that the cost for sending them to Florida or Pennsylvania were my family is located, is not to high, but re sending them to PR adds some additional cost, that at the final end is close or the same that buying new CC13 Sandersons. Those are the same type I been using for more than 15 years. Your price is OK, but unfortunately shipping costs kills me. Ironically, I was at FT Benning a couple months ago. Any way thanks for your offer. :D

Blessings for you and your family

I was afraid shipping costs would be prohibitive on an item like this. Just let me know if you change your mind. I have a friend that live in Ponce
but I don''t think he can help.
avewhtboy

Postby JAVIERVEGAV8 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:17 am

Rick

Let me dig more into it today, then I will let you know, thanks

Blessings
JAVIERVEGAV8

Postby JAVIERVEGAV8 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:32 pm

Rick

Sorry to hold you back several days....

Unfortunately the shipping costs are very high, even if my relatives resend them to me.

Well, it looks like I need to start saving for a new ones.

Any way, thanks for your help

Blessings
JAVIERVEGAV8

Return to General Discussion