Fiberglass hatch on a street car

Moderator: Moderators

Fiberglass hatch on a street car

Postby 71V8Vega » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:04 pm

I'm looking for a substitute for a stock steel hatch. I'm not concerned with weight, its just been difficult to find a hatch in my area that someone is looking to sell. Does anyone have a fiberglass hatch on their Vega? I was curious how the fit and finish is. Also do they seal up to weatherstripping? I would like to know if they work well on a street car. I have my own guess of how a fiberglass hatch might fit and seal up, but I wanted to hear from someone who has one. The only hatch I have seen with a structure underneath similar to a stock hatch was one from Showcars Unlimited and I have read plenty of bad reviews about that company.
71V8Vega

Re: Fiberglass hatch on a street car

Postby spencerforhire » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:15 pm

The one on my drag car and any others I have seen are all too flimsy to seal against wind or water leaks. Unlike hoods, I doubt if there are any "street weight" hatches available.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby 71V8Vega » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:18 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Most of the fiberglass hatches I've seen are designed to be pinned on a race car. Your reply is what I expect everyone will say on this subject
71V8Vega

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:34 pm

I would try and find a good used hatch or repair what you have. I doubt a fiberglass would be too good on a street car.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:35 pm

I would like to add to Spencers responce, the factory uses lots of these and hoods these days, so it can be made to work. However most that you will buy from the aftermarket will be as Spencer reported, but if you are willing to work on it you could remove any bracing [or order with it unbonded if going {aftermarket} factory direct & new] then add a layer or two of glass and resin to both the shell and inner. If it is only an outer skin do the same and add a layer and build you own inner and you could add some tubing or hardwood frame and "Glass it over" Just some fodder for consideration. Harry P.S. Same time responce as "Clyde"
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby KZVEGA » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:03 pm

I have a showcars hatch on mine. The reviews are spot on about the guy unless....you buy from him on eBay. EBay runs very tight protection so he has to play by the rules. As for the hatch, it's not bad....for fiberglass. I had to do some heating and clamping to get it close. I wasn't looking for show car finish for mine it's mainly a drag car. I liked that it was bolt on. Not sure on how it seals still have to paint mine before I put seals on but I think it will be okay. It latches so it's fine by me.
KZVEGA

Postby 71V8Vega » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:24 pm

thanks guys for the great advice!

I put an add on craigslist looking for an original steel hatch and I've been getting a call a week from someone who has one. It seems there may be more of them out there than I thought.
71V8Vega

Postby cptech » Thu May 17, 2018 4:35 pm

Don't know if you're still looking, but there's a guy on Facebook in McAlister, Pa who is making new fiberglass parts for the H-bodys
He's a member of the "vega nation" FB group. His name is Christopher Ross. He is making the rear hatch, but it's primarily a pin on
race piece, but he will make it heavier around the window area so you can use it with the original hinges.

He's making all kinds of body parts.
If you're gunna be a bear......be a Grizzly
cptech

Postby cptech » Thu May 17, 2018 4:36 pm

Don't know if you're still looking, but there's a guy on Facebook in McAlister, Pa who is making new fiberglass parts for the H-bodys
He's a member of the "vega nation" FB group. His name is Christopher Ross. He is making the rear hatch, but it's primarily a pin on
race piece, but he will make it heavier around the window area so you can use it with the original hinges.

He's making all kinds of body parts.
If you're gunna be a bear......be a Grizzly
cptech

Return to Racing Chassis