Door pins and bushings, hinge ears and end play

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Door hinges and end play

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:52 pm

The factory pins have little "ears" on them to prevent them from coming out once installed. If you can see them you need to try and squeeze them while tapping the pin out. Often they just get mangled and once that happens you just have to pound them out. I just sold my last set of GM pins and bushings but I do believe I can locate some more if needed. Let me know if I can help..........
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby gt350fme » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:36 pm

Wow fast forward 7 years and I am finally finishing my doors and thought I would share what I found to really tighten up my loose door hinges.
Firstly the door hinge ears that are welded to the body where the door pins go through where worn and loose fitting, I used a hardened sharp center punch to raise the metal around the inside of the pin holes kneurling and raising the inner surface then carefully reaming the hole to fit the new pins, one could also weld up the pin holes and redrill.

Secondly I found the new door hinge bushings that come with new door pin sets to be somewhat loose fitting, I found better fitting bushings from
Bronzebushings.com part # FF-520-5

And lastly some new door pins from
Totalauto.com part # TAI-GMHK35 fits vega-monza 71-80 picture below but I used the FF-520-5 bushings instead.

The end result where doors with no end play at all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1964 Chevy panel K30
1973 GT Vega Hatchback
1977 Chevy K20
1984 944 porsche
1992 Lexus SC 400
gt350fme

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby HenryJ » Fri May 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Thank you for the above post gt350fme ! I too installed the new Total Automotive hinge pin kit only to find the bushings a little looser than is acceptable.
The part number you listed came up in a search on amazon : Bunting Bearings FF520-5 Flanged Bearings
Fingers crossed for them taking up the slack :th:
"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
HenryJ

Postby HenryJ » Tue May 15, 2018 7:43 pm

So for any who might be following this, the Bunting Bearings FF520-5 Flanged Bearings are indeed a better match to the TA hinge pins. Much tighter. They come in packs of three, so be sure to order three packages :)
"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
HenryJ

Previous

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair