Ignition Key Switch Removal

Moderator: Moderators

Ignition Key Switch Removal

Postby JimW » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:57 pm

I'm trying to remove the ignition lock cylinder from a tilt column, without alot of success. I've removed the steering wheel and under it is a plastic cover that I'm unsure about how to remove. I think it can be pryed off, but I don't want to break it as I don't know if I can get another one. I believe that it needs to be removed inorder to access the ignition key switch.

Also there is a plastic cover that goes around the column covering the rod that goes from the key switch to the ignition electrical switch that I don't know how to remove either.
I've searched on this forum and haven't been able to come up with any info.
Any and all advice is appreciated.

BTW, Im trying to remove the switch so that I can remove the key switch from the original column in a 77 Astre and put it into the tilt column that we have so that we have one key for the ignition, doors and hatch. Thanks
'64 Buick Wildcat w/401 Nailhead in restoration process
'67 Chevy C20 (son's daily driver)w/Inline 250 - lumps, big valves, Offy intake, Holley carb, Langdon Headers, 240 hp w/ T5
'77 Astre SBC 327 with TPI, Megasquirt EMS, 200-4R
JimW

1977 Pontiac Astre Hatchback

Re: Ignition Key Switch Removal

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:10 pm

You'll need to remove a spring clip if you havent already.

A spring clip remover works well for this, but 2 small screw drivers can sometimes get it removed with a little trial and error.

Its around the center shaft. Once thats gone and the cover removed you should be able to see the rest of the screws you'll need to remove to gain access. Should be pretty straight forward from there.

Just ask again, if this doesn't help. Its been a few years since I had to do this.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby my79monza » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:38 am

Here is the tool (or one similar)to remove the snap ring.
With snap ring removed remove the plastic cover, then unplug turnsignal switch, remove two screws holding turn signal switch, pull switch out a few inches and lay off to side.
Ign switch will now be exposed, early models require a screwdriver to push in little loching tab and remove cyl, later moderls have a screw holding cyl.
Tools can be found on eBay and are inexpensive.
Merle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my79monza

Postby JimW » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:00 pm

Thanks guys,
I see the snap ring now. I didn't realize that was spring loaded - I thought it was screwed on.

I have been planning on getting a steering wheel/harmonic balancer puller so that I don't have to keep borrowing someone elses. I have never seen the device depicted in the pic, but after doing some research on the tool, I guess I'll be needing one to get it back together.

Thanks again.
'67 Chevy C20 (son's daily driver)w/Inline 250 - lumps, big valves, Offy intake, Holley carb, Langdon Headers, 240 hp w/ T5
JimW

Postby rocketride » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:51 pm

Auto-Zone loans these out if you don't want to buy one.

Jon
He who dies with the most toys.......is still dead.
rocketride

1980 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby JimW » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:28 pm

Rocket,
Took your advice and borrowed the tool from the Zone. Thanks

I was able to get the turn signal switch out. Now I'm looking at 3 large screws that I was able to loosen, but how do I get the 'rod' between the electrical and key switch off from key switch? It's not obvious. Do I need the key for the switch to rotate the switch find a screw/retainer?
JimW

Postby rocketride » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:01 pm

He who dies with the most toys.......is still dead.
rocketride

1980 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby my79monza » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:21 pm

Do NOT remove the 3 large screws!! they are part of the tilt mechanism.
you need key in lock.
Column shown is from a 76 Monza
Picture of book from 79 shop manual.
Early models are diferent than the late ones.
in the picture of the column above the left large screw at the 1:00 position just to the right of the round hole you will see a slot starting at the hole running down to the right.That is the catch for the older tilt columns, insert screwdriver and push relaesing the lock cyl.
The newer models use a pin as shown in 2nd picture.
Since you have loosened the large screws it would be wise to remove then one at a time coat each with some blue locktite and tighten snugly as these have a tendency to work loose.
Hope this is of some help.
Merle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my79monza

Postby JimW » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:21 am

Thanks guys,

My column is the same as the one you have a picture of. You said that I need the key - I don't have it. Do I need it so that I can turn the switch to a certain position inorder to push on the retainer in the slot? Is there any way around having the key?

I guess if I have to I can take the column to a lock smith and get a key made. I know that GM had alot of ignitions that multiple keys would operate. I never new if that was by design or due to broken components, but two of my freinds when in high school had Chevy's ('77 & '81) and there keys were interchangeable.

Does the rod from the switch to the electrical switch not have tp be disconnected? I assumed that it would, but after reading through the attachment it doesn't appear that it does.

Also, do you guys know where I can buy new levers for the turn signal and tilt?

Thanks for all the help.
JimW

Postby my79monza » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:13 pm

try it without the key, just push screwdriver in slot and pull on cyl you have nothing to loose and don't worry about the rod it does not connect directly to switch.
Lotsa luck on the levers

Merle
my79monza

Postby JimW » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:33 am

Well I broke down and took the column to locksmith. He picked the lock and pulled the cylinder for me.

Merle,
I don't believe and the locksmith agreed that the only way to remove the lock cylinder without damage is to have the key.

Thanks for the help guys!
JimW

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:44 am

Hi, I realize this is an old post but NPD,s website shows 46 items for turn signal levers, they also show the screws in this search so they aren,t all levers, but most were around $20 bucks plus or minus. It appears that they are different knobs and shaft lengths. I searched under '70>'81 Camaro interior & upolstery. I hope this helps you or anybody else. Happy Hunting Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Vegabee » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:19 pm

I have only one ig key for the Vega so decided to Change out the lock assembly.Here is some additional info on that: http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/1jmkk-r ... chevy.html
Ran to Oreillys for this wheel removal kit with the lock plate remover
Removed the horn button assembly and the horn wire was locked on that it needed to be unlatched with screwdriver
First marked the orientation of the wheel with a marker and set up the puller removing it
marked and removed plate
installed the lock plate tool and depressed the spring underneath.Used 2 screwdrivers to to work the ring clip out of the groove.Also marked orientation of the lock plate
Here is the blinker assembly.Removed the blinker handle and the emergency flasher knob
Reach under the column and push the wire harness up while pulling the blinker assembly out.There is just enough harness wire to get it clear.I used a small screwdriver just under the screw hole in the trough area to access the push lock on the key housing.There was not much flashing on mine and could peek through it actually
Put the new lock in and rotated until seated then lined up the lock plate and reinstalled clip.Rest of parts reinstalled also
Vegabee

Postby monzacoupe » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:14 pm

Great pics and explanation!

Rick
monzacoupe

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:35 pm

Now them there are some Fun Times! NOT!! Been there done that and burned the T-Shirt! But every time I did those as a "Kid" I didn't have the proper tools and there were no "Loan-a-Tool" programs. So I will add the "Alternate" method for your amusement! Loosen nut on steering wheel about 1/4" now pull on the wheel with a "Twist and Jerk Motion" [this destroyed every tilt column I tried it on] I know, I know, no further abuse required [I know it is coming though] until it pops then remove nut and wheel replace nut 2>3 turns place two large open end wrenches under nut [and the other wrench, sort of a stacked nightmare] and press down on the carefully balanced sockets as fulcrums and have a trusting friend dig out the clip for you. and then the rest was ~same as your removal. Oh you have to repeat the balanced wrench/socket ordeal to reinstall. I am sweating thinking about it. :rolleyes: :oops: I did this more than once. :dunce: Turn signal switch cancelers and eventually the Ign. Switch a couple of timed to get it right. :rolleyes: Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Next

Return to Electrical and Wiring