74 GT body striping location

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

74 GT body striping location

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:01 am

I have read the extensive write-ups on the 73 gt hood striping, posted back in 2010, I really can't remember whether my 74 had striping on the hood, but it did have the GT striping above the rocker panel and around the wheel wells, plus the chrome trim. I ordered stencils of the striping from Phoenix and have received the stripes as a paint mask. We are planning on painting the stripes after painting the color and wetsanding before the first pearled and flaked clear coat followed by at least 3 layers pure unflaked and un pearled clear coat. Fenders and doors will be painted while off of the car. I am hoping to stripe them while off of the car as well in a brilliant black (chrysler color). What is the best way to position these paint masks so that when assembled onto the car, they will line up? Since they are precut to size, I suppose this will help, but this is gonna be like a shot in the dark. The reason I went for the paint mask, was that I simply didnt want a decal on the gorgeous paint job that is about to happen.
Any help will be appreciated. Peace
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Re: 74 GT body striping location

Postby classic_cruiser » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:02 pm

I think it's going to be pretty tough to pull that off, especially given that the original panels weren't made to tight tolerances. Mis-alignment of striping will be very noticeable even if off by only 1/32" of an inch, but I guess that depends upon your eye for detail.

Is there any way you could mount, shim, and align the panels and doors for the final fit, mark the location for the masking, and then take them off to paint? You'd have to be careful to use the same shims for the fenders in the same locations when you go to re-assemble.
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Postby 67shovel » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:38 am

IMHO I think you need to assemble the car for the paint job. I suppose/assume your base color will be metallic, which should be sprayed assembled to kept the metallics even and reflecting in the same direction. the metacllics should be cleared to kept from messing up the pattern before wet sanding and taping out your stripes. The flake and then pearl also should be assembledtogether or when you add those seperately painted parts, it has a GOOD chance of not matching the next panel. I made a checker board out of a 69 Camaro painting the parts seprately in a paint booth. Had to respray once it was together.
Pearl and flaked damaged car can't be repaired without painting the whole side typically. I'm sure you'll find a painter that claims he can do it but this pearl and flake is best left to a showcar IMHO of 40 years of custom painting.

Roger
79 Monza wagon Pro street, cage tubs narrowed 9
73 GT Vega wagon street car 355 700r4 a/c
68 RS Z/28 302
67 SS 396
Cobra replica
65 Corvair Corsa midengine 301
http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share.do? ... =RETRIEVED
67shovel

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue May 02, 2017 12:55 pm

Thanks for the valuable input. I am concerned that the fenders and doors have been in primer for some time now and need to be either re-primed and re-wetsanded before any paint goes on. I am certainly re-thinking the paint portion of my project vega after reading your posts.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Return to General Discussion