Another crazy H body mod

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Another crazy H body mod

Postby PaulR » Mon May 15, 2017 2:13 am

I started a thread a year or so ago about wanting to build a Monzamino, but after some thinking about what I really want, I've decided to do the notchback. I've also discovered the C4 chassis is very close in wheelbase (and I happen to have one), but is several inches wider than will fit, plus the engine setback issue. I think I can solve the engine setback moving the firewall, dash, seats and a big tunnel hole, etc., depending on where my feet will land inside the well. Some flares can solve the wider track issue, but I just want the car to look GM, with a twist.

Only two changes on this profile, the shoulder line at the windows has a complimentary curve to the front fenders and wiping the gas fill door. Makes the car look slightly chopped, but retains the stock cab height. I couldn't find a quad headlight profile image to play with (unaltered is on top), which would be the way I'd go, but this offers an idea of the significant changes. Kind of has a mini G body look to her. Opinions?

I'm also debating if the C2 - C3 chassis is a better fit. The engine isn't as far back and the track is much closer. I'm showing a C2 or 3 (same one I think) is 58.7" front and rear on a 98" wheelbase, while the C4 is 61.5" - 60.4" on a 96.2" wheelbase. With the H body being 58.5 by 57.5 on a 97" wheelbase the second/third gen seems a better fit. Has anyone tried this previously? The goal is a lightweight, well handling street car, not a racer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulR

Re: Another crazy H body mod

Postby spencerforhire » Mon May 15, 2017 6:09 am

I would suspect that starting with an older Corvette chassis would make it a bunch easier due to the similar wheelbase and track width. Jegs sells a complete "Jegster" chassis kit for a drag car, complete with pre-cut frame rails and pre-bent cage bars, and the same part # kit is listed for C2 , C3 and all H-bodies.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby bill1978v8 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:37 pm

I believe Art Morrison makes a chassis to fit.
1975 Monza 2+2, 4.3L V8, Auto
bill1978v8

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby PaulR » Mon May 15, 2017 11:22 pm

The Jegster kit is fine for straight line work, but a lousy street front end, especially if you want to handle well. I too think the C-2 or 3 is a better fit, but I do happen to have a complete front and rear C-4 setup, so I'm thinking about how to incorporate it into the project. I don't have much into it, so I could sell it on EBay I suppose.

I haven't seen a Morrison rig for an H body, though I'm sure they'll be happy to make one. I haven't priced one, but have a buddy that put one under his tri 5 and damn it ain't cheap, but does bring the car into the 21st century. He paid a little over $10k for it, with few bells and whistles. It seems like they could do one (H body) with a live rear, instead of IRS for about $7k - 8k. They also have a nice "narrow track" front end clip in kit and fully welded.

This are options for those that have this level of cash I suppose. I was just wondering if anyone has made similar conversions and what the you thought of the "look" changes to the notchback above.
PaulR

Postby spencerforhire » Tue May 16, 2017 9:12 pm

I wasn't suggesting the Jegster kit, especially for street use. I agree it's much better suited to drag racing. What I was trying to get across was the fact that the same kit is offered for both Vega and C2-C3 Corvette would lead you to believe that the two vehicles are similar in wheelbase and track width.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Diesel Dan » Wed May 17, 2017 4:48 pm

I've considered using a IRS assembly from a Subaru. Whichever variant is closest to the h-body track width. The whole unit has its own subframe and mounts with 4 bolts.

However I don't plan on using a V8 either.
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

Postby PaulR » Thu May 18, 2017 8:41 am

I've looked at a few different arrangements, such as the early 90's Ford setup in the TBird, which can take some power and has a self contained cradle, making mounting easier. I think the RX7 had one that would do too, though I doubt it can handle the amount of torque a small block can dump on it. I also like all GM and finding parts for the C 2-3 is fairly easy, if costly, compairtivly. It seems parts for the Corvette assume you have lots of money and are marked accordingly.
PaulR

Postby Diesel Dan » Fri May 19, 2017 9:16 pm

I've also pondered a Cadillac Catera IRS.
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

Return to General Discussion