75 sport mirror top loose

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

75 sport mirror top loose

Postby TurboKen » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi, I have the 75 ds sport mirror, the top bullet part is loose from the base, it doesn't have a screws underneath to tighten like the newer Monza versions, is it behind the actual mirror? Do I have to pull the mirror off to get behind it? any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Ken
Last edited by TurboKen on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TurboKen

Re: 75 sport mirror top loose

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:29 pm

Ken that is an EXCELLENT question Oh how I wish I knew! I have tried to dismantle one a few times and I get to a point that I am sure I am going to break something before I can get it apart. The Drives side has the inner remote and I have never managed to pry those little tabs free of the cable ends and I am 100% sure that those will have to be dealt with but I couldn't find any details in the manual not even the Fisher Body one. That tells me the "General" intended it to replaced as a "Unit". I am watching intently so PLEASE keep us posted on your progress! I have this crazy idea that both right and left should have inner remotes. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby TurboKen » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:14 pm

it looks to me that the cables coming through is screwed on?, I can see threads underneath,

Ken
TurboKen

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:25 pm

My top was loose as well, if I remember correctly after. I removed the mirror I drilled a hole and put a self tapping screw between the two halves. Once it is put back together you can't see it. Works great..... Make sure you drill the hole in the mount slightly bigger than the top so the screw threads into the top piece and tightens against the base
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby TurboKen » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:52 pm

ok, nice, so how do you remove the mirror? pull on it?

ken
TurboKen

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:12 pm

I removed the mirror from the door, remove the door panel and then unbolt the mirror from the door. I did not remove the glass from the mirror housing, once you get the mirror off the door you can drill it from underneath and add a screw.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:20 am

TurboKen wrote:ok, nice, so how do you remove the mirror? pull on it?

ken

As I posted earlier the cable from the remote goes directly to the socket(?) that the mirror is in that is the reason for having to and try to and remove the cable from it. Then the mirror socket will have a ball that just pops out of another socket and will bring the cable with it at least some ways these aren't really designed for removal, it will likely only come out and inch or so before the cables are bottomed out on their casings and will need to be unclipped fron inside with no room for even small fingers to fit in. Personally if the only problem is it is loose, then Clyde's plan seems the winner, the least work and a very high probability of long term success. Harry
Last edited by Monza Harry on Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby TurboKen » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:23 pm

oh, ok, I thought you had to remove the mirror from the bullet section, now I understand clyde thank you!

Ken
TurboKen

Return to General Discussion