FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sun May 28, 2017 9:48 pm

I agree! That red is awesome!!
RedFiveKBS

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:59 pm

Today, between rain storms, the hydraulic master mounting plates got fabricated. A rebuild kit for the washer pump got ordered, the wiper motor case got cleaned, tested and ready for reassembly. The small vacuum actuator for the AC/Defrost door got refurbished. It was next to impossible to find, so we McGuyvered it for all posterity NOTE- same size in diameter as a small cat food can. Sent off two fuel sending units for refurbishing. One for 74gt, one for 75Cos. Got the rear seats from the Cos back from the upholstery shop with the carpeting on the back as well as the swing down plate. Back to sqare one with the dash recovering. I now have worked with several adhesives and so far it looks like 3M super 77 is the winner. Super 99 dries in the air before it makes contact with the mating surface. I intend to test Gorilla Glue spread thin with a brush tomorrow and finessing the material with a heat gun....Peace
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:55 pm

74_Vega_GT wrote: ..... Super 99 dries in the air before it makes contact with the mating surface. .... Peace

I think that means your not working fast enough! [says the guy with the (unfinished) project stated in 1983!] That is actually good news for us northern guys, I see your in the "Oven zone" that would mean that would be a good choice for cooler/colder days far north of FLA. I have had the opposite happen a couple of times, our stuff sometimes just doesn't want to set-up usually ending in something ending up in the "Circular File" (garbage pail). Thanx for sharing this very useful info, and Please keep us in the loop with your dash project, that is a weak point for us option-wise. :th: Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:52 am

Hydraulic master is mounted and connected to the clutch pedal. Seems like it will work. The fusebox is relocated. New blower motor is installed with new speed resistors. AC harness is installed and grommeted through the firewall with new sheathing. We are working on running the headlamp and turn signal wiring. The new motor mounts and tranny x-member for the V8/V6 into the vega came are here now and ready to be installed.
~~Dash pad....well, I stopped by a shop I heard about locally in Ocala that does custom interiors and spoke with the owner and showed him where I was with the dash pad with one edge secured all the way across and asked him had he done 70's GM dash pads and would he furnish me a quote. He said he could do the dash pad for 150-175, but he would remove all of my progress and start over. (Geez!) So I told him I had another one that he could do from scratch and that I would finish mine and we could compare the two when we are done. Either way, it looks like I will have a restored dash pad to dispose of as I will not need two of them.
~~ Rims - Its time to get her where she can roll. I can get junkyard rims and junkyard tires but then I will still have to buy nice rims and tires after painting the car. Should I go ahead and spring for the good tires and rims and just protect them during painting?
~~ Removed the front seatbelts from the 74 gt, put them in white vinegar to soak and carefully removed what was left of the headliner board. The dash guy has the unperforated material and said I could lightly mist the old board with water and put a sheet of plywood over it on a flat surface to make it lay flat and use it for a template. ....more soon.....Peace
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:11 am

~~..Steering linkage is all installed rotors are mounted, got 15 inch S-10 Sonoma rims with junk yard rubber....installing brake lines and calipers next....Peace
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:29 am

~~So, the junk rubber on these 15 inch Sonoma rims is too big and we cant get the right turning radius with them. I went to the tire size calculator to no avail, What size tires are mostly used for the daily driver setup fronts vs rears, that will work with the 15 inch rims on the 75 Vega? Thanks
74_Vega_GT

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Back when these were still "out and about" the "Shelby Charger" [2.2 version] had P205/50R-15 rubber that was the same height as my rubber on my Monza [GT Qualifier P205/60R-13] but mine was wider and needed "some shimming" to clear at full lock. Even so that old rubber rubbed at all four corners (Dunlap must have measured them differently as they were much wider than the Pentastar's rubber from time to time. I doubt this answers your question directly, but may fill in some gaps in your search for max tire fitment. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby hammerdown7 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:02 pm

One critical factor determining tire selection is the backspacing of the wheels. What is yours on the S10 wheels?

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:00 pm

Thanks for the input, I want to say 3.5 in, on the s10 95 Sonoma wheels. We got some used 195-60-15's on today and they look nice, theyre Michelins too..25 buks..lots of tread. We are gonna try to go with 205-60-15's on the back, but right now the taller truck rubber is on the other two rims, so, just to get her rolling around to where there is flat concrete where we can mock up the engine. By the way, the Bob Gumm motor mounts came in and they look sharp. We painted them the same as the engine bay, not that you'll see them. Looks like the new preformed fuel line will have to relocate because of the headers I bet. We will fabricate a return line from scratch...Its hot out..95 degrees, we're using a bounce house blower to move the air with and give us some breeze.....more later...Peace
74_Vega_GT

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:19 pm

74_Vega_GT wrote:Its hot out..95 degrees, we're using a bounce house blower to move the air with and give us some breeze.....more later...Peace

I have a few blower fans with motors from furnace swaps and those "squirrel cage fans" MOVE some air! Our weather has been all over the place this summer tomorrows Humidex is supposed to be 98* was in the mid 70's one day last week (+/- my sense of time has been off a little lately) Do the best you can we are all pulling for you, [and us too]! Harry
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:55 am

Got the dash pad back..It looks great. I may have him do a second GT dash pad since I have one to get rid of. Glad I didn't go with just-dashes for 850.00.
~ Headliner template is complete....
~ Replaced broken motor mount on the SRT-6 Crossfire...oops wrong forum.....Peace
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:58 am

Began cleaning and polishing the aluminum chrome. Fuel sending unit is back from restoration and needs to be installed. Radiator is ready to be picked up. 5/8 tubes, 3 core, 26 rows,14 per inch fin count, copper / brass, straight neck at top and bottom. v8 sized inlet and outlet...not cheap... Griffin didn't happen in time, so I went with a local shop in business 60 years. Next is brake master again...got the wrong one for the s10 setup. Couldn't get any pedal.
~They have 2 original 4-cyl vega radiators new in the box on their shelf that can be modified like I did my old 4 cyl radiator. They are the last old school radiator shop in the area and are a family run business. ....Now to go find a Sunbird fan shroud ... I know where one is, where I got the AC out of a few months back.....Peace
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:43 am

Trim Restoration - This is a tedious part of the project. We made a curved steel jig and clamped it to the vise to help take out small dings and restore the inner edge of the chrome trim pieces. Some of the headlight pieces have paint on the inner edges that show from the factory that we have to remove. Acetone and gloves worked well for the road tars and paint.
~ We set up the grinder stand with a polishing wheel on one side and a buffing wheel on the other and are using a drill with a 2 inch skuff pad to remove the anodized shiny layer. All scratches are disappearing on the polisher and dings are being tapped out smoothe.
To prevent future oxidation, there seem to be only three options. Let me know if there are others. Re-chroming, re-anodizing (Brite-Dip), or clear-coating them. We have all seen clear coat dull out and crack and flake off after sometimes only a year or two. Is there a clear-coat option that will last in a garage kept environment out of the sun? The closest and most recommended place for re-chroming is in Melborne, Fl at the space-coast.
Am I to understand that if they re-chrome the pieces that they will have to acid dip the pieces and that all of our work polishing them will have been for naught?
74_Vega_GT

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:58 pm

74_Vega_GT wrote:Trim Restoration - This is a tedious part of the project. We made a curved steel jig and clamped it to the vise to help take out small dings and restore the inner edge of the chrome trim pieces. Some of the headlight pieces have paint on the inner edges that show from the factory that we have to remove. Acetone and gloves worked well for the road tars and paint.
~ We set up the grinder stand with a polishing wheel on one side and a buffing wheel on the other and are using a drill with a 2 inch skuff pad to remove the anodized shiny layer. All scratches are disappearing on the polisher and dings are being tapped out smoothe.
To prevent future oxidation, there seem to be only three options. Let me know if there are others. Re-chroming, re-anodizing (Brite-Dip), or clear-coating them. We have all seen clear coat dull out and crack and flake off after sometimes only a year or two. Is there a clear-coat option that will last in a garage kept environment out of the sun? The closest and most recommended place for re-chroming is in Melborne, Fl at the space-coast.
Am I to understand that if they re-chrome the pieces that they will have to acid dip the pieces and that all of our work polishing them will have been for naught?

Yes the plating process does involve an acid bath but this isn't like we think of as "Acid" per say it is IIRC with a dissolved "Salt" [not table salt] to create an "Electrolyte" and fully rinsed/neutralized. Let's go through the rest of the "Automotive triple Chrome Plating" process, first up is a copper plate and this is then polished and then repeated until the part is visually perfect [based on your dollars or other parameters] then that will be polished for "Max" shine then it will get a nickel plate and this is for the "colour" and then a buff, then last it will get a Chrome plate which is very thin almost transparent and that is for the shine. All add to the corrosion resistance. Also worth checking into is weather they can dunk your trim with steel attachment points without removal, this is something of which I am sorely ignorant. :( That will ad some beauty for sure and from that your polish will be used up but the ding removal is a cost cutting step that the platers hope you won't do. Now another protective coating you can do this is used by the "OEM" would be, Powder coat it is available in clear and a few "lustre's" Here is a few from Eastwood to ponder: http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder- ... color=1038 Harry
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:46 pm

...Brake master is installed, brakes bled. Put wheels on, took out the jacking blocks..She's sittin on all 4 wheels for the first time in over a year and a half. ...woo hoo..
~ Now that she is rolling, we can push it over to where we will mock up the engine mounting. Ordered a flywheel for the v6 Vortec..1999. Polished more aluminum today also.
~ Maiden voyage tomorrow...forty feet...lol
~Clean up work area and load up scrap metal tomorrow....maybe mount up the fuel tank. ..Front suspension wouldnt budge when pushing down, we have the Monza v8 wagon front springs installed and they seem stiff. My bro says its because theres no motor in it yet.....more to come...Peace
74_Vega_GT

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals