seroius question on jack stand placement

Moderator: Moderators

seroius question on jack stand placement

Postby DADDYDEE78620 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:53 am

guys I have a stout 383 in a 72 vega gt it has heavy duty frame rails ft to rear I need to safely get under the car for maintaice work I know to put the stands under the rear 12 bolt housing, bt can I put the jack stands under the ft lower a arms where the shocks mount? :th:
DADDYDEE78620

Re: seroius question on jack stand placement

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:17 am

I have used that location on my Monza's plenty of times. If you can move it over to the ridge where the spring [about 2+/-" from the shock] is that does hold the weight of the car all the time. But I felt safe with the location you inquired about. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby crawfw » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:42 pm

The front is a little dicey since the control arms move so much when lowering it. I try to leave my floor jack under the k member for that reason.
I will also use plastic ramps on the front and slide the ramps in backwards so I can get under the middle section of the car. obviously doing front suspension work requires the jack stands or just using the floor jack as long as your not going under. Its good to have two floor jacks if your pulling the spindles
crawfw

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby monzaaddict » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:57 pm

I would put the floor jack under the spring pocket or k member (if it hasn't been modified) and install the jack stands at the location where the k member meets the frame at the front bushing of the lower control arm.
monzaaddict

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech