V8 Vega brake question/s

Moderator: Moderators

V8 Vega brake question/s

Postby cerealkiller » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:29 pm

Greetings all,I have a 350/350 combo in my Vega.I put a 9" Ford rearend in my car and I need to know what size wheel cylinder bores I need.Anybody got a PART NUMBER for what I need?I DO NOT have a Power brake booster on the car.Who knows what I need?Thanks440 885 4816
cerealkiller

Re: V8 Vega brake question/s

Postby Smiley » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:04 pm

what diameter and width are the rear brakes ?
what kind of brakes are on the front, S10 single or dual piston, stock Vega ?
What master cylinder ?
I would use the correct wheel cylinders for the drum diameter and shoe width, then size the master cylinder for manual brakes.
Smiley

Postby cerealkiller » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:18 pm

Hello Smiley,The rear drum diameter is 11 inches.The shoe width is 2.5 inches wide.The front brakes appear to be standard Camaro,Monte Carlo style,11 inch rotors,single piston.The master cylinder was purchased from Advanced Auto parts,Cardone ,PN-131498.The master cyl bore size is .750.The front brakes were on the car when I acquired it.Dont know EXACTLY what the front brakes are off of.I have 2 sets of rear wheel cylinders from 2 different 9 " Ford rearends that are/were laying around.One rearend has a 1" wheel cyl bore with 2.5 shoes and the other 9" has a 15/16 (.940) wheel cyl bore with a shoe width of 2.25.I e-mailed Master Power brakes and they said either size wheel cyl bore will work fine.Naturally I'm concerned about spinning the car around in a panic stop or even everyday driving.Not being a expert in brakes I'm looking for answers from anyone who may have the same Front and Rear brake setup on there Vega or Monza and what they used on there car.Thanks
cerealkiller

Postby Smiley » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:12 pm

Are the rotors 5 lug ?
If your front rotors are solid they are stock Vega brakes redrilled to 5 lug, if they are vented rotors they are redrilled Monza rotors.
If they are vented and 5 lug but not redrilled they may be S10/G-body rotors which are also slightly larger in diameter than Monza/Vega rotors.
The rear backing plates have different offsets for the coresponding drum and shoe widths. Check that the drums, pads and backing plates are a matched set.
A .750" bore master may be too small for brakes larger than Stock Vega calipers, for a shorter firmer pedal a 7/8" or 1" bore Master cylinder may be needed.
Also an adjustable proportioning valve helps with fine tuning.
Smiley

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech