zeke's Monza

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: zeke's Monza

Postby rm617 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:13 am

zeke wrote:Here it is ~flush with the bumper. Just concerned that when the car is stationary, exhaust will rise straight up. IDK, no experience building exhaust

Just set the idle at 4,000 rpm's, problem solved. :lol: Looks great!
Ron
1977 Monza Mirage 20,000 original miles
Featured in Hemming Muscle Machines magazine January 2005 issue.
rm617

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby zeke » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks for the kind words Phil, it has been a journey eh! Someday I will drive it again! :dance: :lol: 8)

Thanks Ron, think I'm gonna do the flush with the bumpers. The tips are weld on but I'll just do 3 tacks and leave a bit of extra pipe inside them so I can move out later if necessary.

Next round of swearing pictured below. Think I'll wait until I heat cycle the engine a few times and retorque the bolts, before installing the locks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby SOLSAKS » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:27 am

DANG !!!! the level of mechanical ability and ingenuity are stunning.

this is one of the baddest h bodies on the planet.

where do you work ?...NASA ??? as chief engineer ????

we need you as head of homeland defense !

i doubt there is anyone in washington with your dedication,.....and smarts !

nice work

dave in NC :th:
SOLSAKS

Postby zeke » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:13 pm

Thanks a lot Dave! :oops: :th:

A few choice words were directed at inanimate objects today but I got the front section bolted up. If those fancy SS collector bolts were an eighth inch longer, would make it much easier to start them. The Sanderson collector flanges are fairly thick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:39 pm

Exhaust completed finally! I don't want to crimp the mufflers onto the over-the-axle pipes to keep it easy to remove exhaust from the car. I'll add some hi temp silicone to the joint. Without doing that tho, vibration and gravity could cause the pipes to twist down into the rear end. So, I made up a double clamp to keep the pipes from turning.

last pic shows the leftovers, maybe I can make some metalart out of it. Glad this job is done
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:43 pm

:dance: :dance:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:51 am

The word of the day is leaks :cuss:

Exhaust somewhere near drivers side header to head :bang: I followed Sanderson's instructions but maybe I made the silicone beads to high and it rolled over or something. Take it apart...

Muncie front oil seal, rear end pinion and cover seal. Gonna tackle both and the the new longer trans output yoke all at once.

Looks like my idea of adapting the a/c manifold to the Monza line isn't going to work. I'll have to have a hose made up probably.

I didn't see any coolant leaks while I had it fired briefly tho. First, I had to diagnose the no crank condition. Defective brand new ignition switch.

:rolleyes:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:12 pm

zeke wrote:The word of the day is leaks :cuss: Defective brand new ignition switch. :rolleyes:

The first one is pretty normal, BUT REALLY irritating! We all feel your Pain! That last one is the BIGGEST Pain especially when you did it to prevent what ends up happening anyway, :bang: again we are there with you, if only in memory/spirit! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:20 pm

Thanx for the support Harry. :th:

Exhaust leak fixed - forgot to torque the collector bolts. :oops:

Noisy valve train, gonna try adjusting rockers with engine running and see if it quiets up. Made a holy valve cover.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:47 pm

Short clip of exhaust sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SABJFZsuOw
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:18 pm

Go to start engine and battery is dead again. :bang: Time to figure out this problem. Hook up ammeter between car and battery and it shows 270mA of draw with ignition off. Try unplugging a few things but no change. Consult with Spencer and find out 60mA is normal with an ECM and Autostart module, he suggests feeling relays after cars been off a while to see if any are warm. Sure enough, one relay I installed is warm.

This relay is energised by the ACC circuit and allows operation of the dome lamp from the headlight switch. (I've killed batteries in the past forgetting to to turn off) Pulled the relay and test light shows ACC power at the coil terminal. Cycled the ignition switch and power is not on the terminal. At this point I realize the ignition switch is out of adjustment and was probably the reason the new one wasn't making connection to the S terminal at the opposite end of it's travel. I never did actually check the new switch (duh) so I stuck the ohmeter on it and it tests fine.

Re-installed the new ign switch, adjusted it on the column to the other end and car's standby draw is down to 80mA and starter engages. :dance: I have a couple other modules that draw ~20mA so gonna put a battery tender on the car somewhere and plug it in when not driving.

Sacrificed another cheap wrench to help setting the roller rocker lock nuts.

The battle continues....
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:39 pm

Haven't done much lately but did do this fun little project tonight.

Found the perfect size LED chips to light up the spyder emblems for a buck a piece. https://www.banggood.com/5pcs-3W-White- ... rehouse=CN

Drilled the housing out with an 1.125" hole saw. Used a chunk of 2x4 with two holes drilled into it, to hold the housing in place while drilling. The fixture comes in handy to locate the bottom plate later on.

Made a paper template, then transferred that to a piece of 1/16" styrene sheet.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:44 pm

I used my favourite flexible epoxy to attach the bottom styrene plate to the housing and the led chip to it. The large hole for the chip has to be drilled off center because the mounting studs are not centered by the factory. The led chip can be centered in the emblem tho because the bottom plate is spaced down slightly by the epoxy. This extra distance also gives the light a chance to diffuse a bit.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:49 pm

I used some 26 ga stranded wire I had around and epoxied it down in place so the wires don't get pulled off.

Short clip of the emblem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FndK32xUG_Y
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby spencerforhire » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:35 am

Now if you do the same thing to the hatch keyhole cover, you could use it as a 3rd brake light....
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals