New guy on the block

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

New guy on the block

Postby starvega » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:21 am

I just want to say hello to everybody my very first post here. I own a 72 Vega with a 502 bbc, 350 turbo & a BOP rear. The best part is the car is street legal and I can take it to the grocery store.

The Vega has a full roll cage plus a full racing frame. the frane has an id tag that reads “ZT MOO MFG 1207”. Does anybody have any information on this for me? also the frontend looks to be a Mustang two front and suspension I’m not sure. I need to figure out what it is so I can upgrade it. Vega has a lot of racing parts and was probably being built to try to drag race. I bought the Vega from guy’s widow so I got very little information. Body is all steel except for the hood which I believe was bought from Baldwin Chevrolet performance parts. Believe it or not the Vega is not that light. So I’m already thinking of trying to reduce some weight. any suggestions are welcome. I managed to get to the dragstrip last summer & the car runs consistently 12.2 Car also has nitrous but I have not used it yet.

I’ve made a lot of improvements in the wiring of the car. And trying to chase down problems like poor grounding etc. I feel like I’m finally starting to get the car where it needs to be. The car has an MSD 6+ digital ignition system with a magnetic pick up hi energy coil and wires all MSD. I replaced it all once because I kept having car break up in about 3500 RPM off the line after doing a beautiful Burnout. i’ve chased down every possible thing you can think of when each time the car would be tested & no more issue. well I was thinking it was good to go I go back up to the dragstrip and find out it wasn’t.

I changed the 650 double pumper out for a 850. that seem to be a big difference and just what the engine needed. however I still have the problem. Vega came with a Aeromotive 1000 pump & 6 port fuel regulator 2000?. So a friend suggested I check the fuel pressure which was running over 12 psi before the engine fired up but once it fired it went down to 6 1/2. So I readjusted it to 6 1/2 to 7. My friend was thinking the vacuum hose which is my understanding for boost on a blower system not sure if it was needed for the nitrous. So we started thinking that possibly this vacuum was causing the secondaries at wide open throttle to be flooded so I disconnected it but the weather hasn’t been good so I can’t go out and test the car under load.

In addition to that I reset my MSD from the two-step at 3500 to 0 affectively shut it off and I reset my Rev-limiter from 55 to 65. I’m not so certain that the MSD six digital plus isn’t the problem. i’m trying to take it one step at a time so I don’t get too far ahead of myself . I have another friend who has a lot of experience with circle track racing who thinks that my valve springs could be the cause. so my next step is to do a compression check and also check all the valve springs visually. I really don’t think it’s a broken spring as it would be happening all the time. Any thoughts from anyone on that? cam is a stock 502 from what I can tell
starvega

Re: New guy on the block

Postby starvega » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:24 am

Sorry I didn’t mean to write a book just got a lot on my mind so any help you guys give I’m so appreciative. :th:
starvega

Postby hammerdown7 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:35 am

First, welcome to the site. I'm sure there will be several people here that can answer your questions. And many of us will say the same thing, post some pictures! This site will only download up to 256K per picture so you will have to shrink the ones you try to post.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby monzacoupe » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:15 pm

Welcome! Dick said it all, post pictures!!! :th:

Rick
monzacoupe

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby SeniorSavage » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:18 pm

Welcome to the club!
The fleet;
1975 Buick Skyhawk 3.8 V6 turbo - total restore ongoing (soon!)
1996 Fleetwood Bounder 36' Ford 460 TBI motorhome
2004 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic 88ci 1450cc. - custom original.
2005 Ford 500 Limited (wife's car) - working original.
2006 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT LS VorTec 4200
SeniorSavage

1975 Buick Skyhawk

Postby starvega » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:45 pm

Sorry I didn’t mean to write a book just got a lot on my mind so any help you guys give I’m so appreciative. :th:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
starvega

Postby starvega » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:49 pm

Newbee here... trying to post a few pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
starvega

Postby starvega » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:02 pm

The artwork was the result of trying to fix a couple mistakes with pinstriping paint and this is The outcome on a late Saturday night early in the morning. this is my first attempt at pinstriping and I don’t think I’m done with it just yet. also it’s the same on the other side. :shenanigans: :hob: :hob: :hob: :hob:
starvega

Postby waybad » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:30 pm

That radiator looks small :shock: ,, very nice car!!! :th: :th: :th:
Tinker
waybad

Postby starvega » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:51 am

does anyone know what temperature range a 502 big block should be running? I believe I’ve been running between 180 and 225°. She definitely runs hot if I don’t have the fan on in the summer.
starvega

Postby waybad » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:04 am

starvega wrote:does anyone know what temperature range a 502 big block should be running? I believe I’ve been running between 180 and 225°. She definitely runs hot if I don’t have the fan on in the summer.

your good at those temps,, 225 would be tops for my liking,, but if it never get's hotter than than that your golden!! :dance: :dance: :dance:
Tinker
waybad

Postby 283vega » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:16 pm

Welcome. Youve come to right place.
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby megavega » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:01 pm

that aeromotive regulator is a by pass regulator, so it needs the big bypass(usually number 8 or 10an line) in order to not dead head the fuelpump which puts out a lot of pressure and flow. The nipple on it is for turbo/boost applications and will rise the fuel pressure 1:1 with boost, you wont use that without a turbo/blower. For nitrous, you usually use a separate fuel system to spray the fuel to coincide with the nitrous.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby starvega » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:05 pm

thanks mega vega:.. i need to check all the sizes on the braided hoses. here’s some pictures of the fuel regulator. So I have adjusted the pressure now 6 1/2 to 7 psi with or without the engine running now & I’ve kept the vacuum line. but these pictures I think was taken before I did the repair.

so do you think with the vacuum line hooked up that it would cause

when I came off the line foot-braking to wide-open throttle the engine to die and or stumble at about 3500 RPM?

q
starvega

Return to General Discussion