Been awhile...

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Been awhile...

Postby JohnP2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:40 pm

Greeting all, its been awhile since my last post about my 71 being sold in spring of 2013.

So I get a call yesterday from the guy who bought it. He wanted to let me know he restored the car to original and its for sale on Craigslist.

https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/d/1973-c ... 63211.html

very different from when he bought it...his car, he can do whatever he wants.

as sold:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37296

I really enjoyed the car the years I owned it, and this forum was great place to share my journey with the car. After selling my Vega I bought a 2001 Trans Am, which I still own and enjoy today.
JohnP2

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Re: Been awhile...

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:23 am

Interesting....I see the disclaimer that he doesn't have any paperwork from Baldwin-Motion; I don't see the disclaimer that it's a CLONE! Misrepresented, don't you think?

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 67shovel » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:57 am

Good looking car no doubt." Using a Don Hardy kit to mount motor'......don't think Baldwin was buying parts from Don Hardy
79 Monza wagon Pro street, cage tubs narrowed 9
73 GT Vega wagon street car 355 700r4 a/c
68 RS Z/28 302
67 SS 396
Cobra replica
65 Corvair Corsa midengine 301
http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share.do? ... =RETRIEVED
67shovel

Postby dindin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:21 am

CHEVY VEGA MOTION YENKO?? :?

Al
dindin

Postby monzaaddict » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:39 pm

67shovel wrote:Good looking car no doubt." Using a Don Hardy kit to mount motor'......don't think Baldwin was buying parts from Don Hardy

Not only were they buying parts from Don Hardy and using/selling just about all the other V8 Vega kits that were available at any given time, Don Hardy was personally involved in building the first big block cars at Motion from which the later kits were developed.

http://www.donhardyracecars.com/history.html
monzaaddict

Postby JohnP2 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:33 pm

I had never heard that before, very interesting to read. I figured when I owned the car a previous owner ordered the parts from Don Hardy directly or from some other source. Motion or whoever. The person in Michigan I purchased the car from had very little to offer about the cars history other then the guy he bought it from had it as a drag car. He sent me a bad copy of a photo where all you could see was a 70's style snorkel hood scoop and 350 in mailbox type stick on letters on the hood.
The car had Hardy engine mounts, headers and possibly 12-bolt rear. The rear had all the stock style mounts and fit well under the car. It looked professionally done to me. As some other fab on the car was rather crude. Does the current owner know something I didn't? Did I own a Motion car and not know it. I think very unlikely.
JohnP2

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby monzaaddict » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:20 pm

also wonder why he has it listed as a 73 body tag is in 71 location?
monzaaddict

Postby 7t7wagin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:30 pm

I asked him, thru EBay, that same question and didn`t he also buy it in NJ from JohnP2. All he said was that the VIN# matched the title he had from Jamestown, TN. Smells a little fishy for 25K :rolleyes:
7t7wagin

Postby Smiley » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:35 pm

JohnP2 wrote:Rear tires are 275/60/15's on 8 inch wheels. Front are 14" wheels and tires.

I have a member here who is very interested in the car, he is looking into a work around of title issue, he wants to ship car to Florida and title it there.

Car came from Michigan and was assigned a new VIN in 1976, which does not match actual VIN plate on dash. Both previous owner and myself just took title to DMV and got registration and new title no problem when ownership changed, our states do not inspect car at time of title transfer to compare VINs on car and title, Florida does. Michigan should have attached a assigned vin plate in 1976, but it is missing now.

I do not want to deal with getting the car reVINed here in NJ. So, if this deal does not go through, car would be for sale with these conditions.

I was not aware this would be an issue til this person had serious interest in the car.

I got the car off ebay, and did not even know or think this could be an issue, did not ask to see title before purchase. Title arrived and I was shocked, to see VIN on title. I did not even know assigned VINs existed. But, NJ just transfered, and I registered the car as a "classic" which does not require inspection in NJ. I have driven enjoyed car for years.

Guess the current seller solved the VIN issue with a VIN tag and title from a 73.
Smiley

Postby T-FATTY » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:27 pm

It's back on ebay for 18k, I'm looking for a vega but this just doesn't look "right".
YES I accept paypal donations...
T-FATTY

Postby JohnP2 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:33 am

Looks like eBay listing has expired. I did not see it was on eBay. I'm not trying to spoil the guy chances of selling the car. But as I posted years back its public knowledge regarding the title. And I might have done the same thing with replacing the dash. It will make it easier to sell anywhere in the country. I'm sure he put a lot of work into painting the car and other things he did. It looks good thought. From pics he removed the NOS system that was on the car, and changed the carb and air filter. Rest of engine bay and engine looks the same as when I had it. I had those old school metal spacers under the rear springs to fit the big tired. He replaced with air shocks. Car was always a miss mash of parts so if car can live on and now have a matching VIN...so who ever buys it down the road will be able to sell without issue. Nice Motion clone. Its a cool little car.
JohnP2

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Return to General Discussion