1977 Vega Heater Core

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

1977 Vega Heater Core

Postby Weatherhound » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:46 pm

Good people of the H-Body community,

Anyone out there know where I can get a heater core for a 1977 Vega Hatchback?

Here comes the tangent first to let you know. Enjoy hearing how challenging it is to revise a Vega.

I am very new to this forum (as of today) but my daughter and I have been working on our little 1977 Vega Hatchback we picked up March 2017 from east central Montana (we are near Houston close to the coast) to see about getting it going and having a little fun. She loves the classics like I have all my life. I have drag raced since 1986 (stopped...err...decided to do the family thing in 2011), but my '69 Camaro evolved like many cars did from a function of owner time, money, and speed lust. Eventually I sold my methanol injected racecar to do the family thing. Last year when my daughter became of age to get her DL I asked her what she wanted and she said a classic. We didn't know we would choose a Vega about 3 months later. We drove 1757 miles one way to go get it (and visit family there) but this little car still had interior, wasn't wrecked, albeit some hail stone dents, and the engine was replaced with a Pontiac 4 Banger (older version without cross flow head). I do not know if it is an actual Iron Duke first version. Some say a Merc Cruiser engine. All I know the parts for a 1977 Pontiac Astre all worked perfectly.

Now, I like challenges, and trying to get this little car going has been a fun challenge. But I have to say this.....it is MUCH easier to get parts for nearly all the classics like Camaros, Chevelles, etc.....but NOT for Vegas. Heck, I just found some new brake rotors in Indiana, never been on a car, slight surface rust, and it took me more than a week of R&D to find them. BRAKE ROTORS for crying out loud. And I need a windshield. Anyone who can point me in the right direction for a windshield I would really appreciate it. Antenna or not, tint or not. Just need one.

So, with this, I really like this little car since it has been a crazy & fun experience and I can't wait to go to Sonic and get a Rootbeer Frosty in it. But I need to find the part number, or the part, for a heater core. I have the one in the car and it didn't leak immmediately after bringing the little engine to life, and running it 3 more times. But now it is beginning to leak pretty good. I know the original is the brass/copper unit, and I have not looked directly at it yet (still hot as I type), so I do not know if this is something I can braze up like the old brass/copper radiators (hoping I can). I am not opposed to getting another one to do a quick swap of the part.

Anyone out there know where I can get a heater core for this 1977 Vega? This Vega does not have the AC option.

Long run project...eventually we plan on installing the LS1 I have on the floor in the shop. Not a racecar....a cruising machine...something Harley owners would hurt their neck watching it pass by on the same trails they cruise on out in the hill country.

Many thanks! And this forum is well designed, and has many helpful resources. I look forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers,
Weatherhound
Weatherhound

Re: 1977 Vega Heater Core

Postby hammerdown7 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:43 am

Welcome to the site where there is more info on h-body's in all body styles than any other place on Earth! Lot's of friendly helpful folks to help.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Re: 1977 Vega Heater Core

Postby Weatherhound » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:34 pm

Thanks HammerDown! I appreciate the welcome matt. I actually took out the heater core this evening and found the leak. It was actually a 5 minute braze job and a 30 psig leak check confirmed all is well with the heater core now. But I am still on the hunt for a windshield. Any leads on windshields you can point me to?

Regards, Brian
Weatherhound

Return to General Discussion