fuel pump for vega

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

fuel pump for vega

Postby 283vega » Fri May 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Will any type of block mount fuel pump work with the stock monza mounts on a vega?
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Re: fuel pump for vega

Postby BadBowtie » Sat May 26, 2018 7:49 pm

I have read and been told that it wont fit but I've Been running the shortest AC delco pump I found and has fuel return. I also left in the stock vega electric pump and it seems to work fine, great for priming the fuel system too. I am running monza frame plates/motor mounts and it just clears the K member. If I tried to run any sort of performance pump I don't think it would work too well as they are too wide and deep but these cars can vary so much its hard to tell.
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 283vega » Sun May 27, 2018 10:21 am

Thanks, any pictures?
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby BadBowtie » Sun May 27, 2018 4:14 pm

The car is being stored at my parents place, right now this is the best I can find. I seem to remember trying the edelbrock type fuel pumps and they wouldnt fit. I think the clash is more with the motor plate than the K member? Next time I'm over I'll check in and take a few pictures. I have use both the return and non return type.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James

BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 283vega » Sun May 27, 2018 4:52 pm

Thank you! :th:
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby cosvega76 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:07 am

I've been looking at this thread and trying to remember if there were any issues with the stock mechanical pump. Really reaching back to my first V8 Vega in the '70s, I remember now that that one used Monza mounts and a mechanical fuel pump - with no clearance issues.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 283vega » Mon May 28, 2018 11:34 am

I take it that I need to run a fuel return line?
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby cosvega76 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:02 pm

283vega wrote:I take it that I need to run a fuel return line?

Only if you're running fuel injection, but you're probably not with a mechanical pump. You'll need to extend the feed line to the inlet of the pump, though. I'd recommend removing the electric pump in the tank, if you haven't already, although it will pull through it. If you remove the pump in the tank, you'll need to extend the line to reach the bottom of the tank.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby BadBowtie » Mon May 28, 2018 8:26 pm

Both work fine and I have used both without issue, I like the idea of circulating fuel rather than dead heading it but I also removed the smog equipment and used the vent line as a return which is a bit on the small size and probably causes aeration in the tank when it runs low. Like Chuck said it is recommended to remove the electric pump but I have yet to have an issue but I keep a close eye on it with an air fuel gauge incase.
James

BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Vega2008 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:29 pm

Ok, so I have a 1975 Vega Hatchback and I am running a carbureted (AFB400) on a Buick Even Fire V6 / 4 speed tranny in my car. I still have an electric in the tank fuel pump (stock one I eBayed a while back, and replaced it along with a new sock when having TriStarr Radiator rebuild my sending unit)...but I think the pump recently quit on me, I don't here it when I turn on the key anymore, and it wasn't very long ago that it was replaced. I still have a mechanical fuel pump on my 231 Buick V6 motor.

I can still start the car up, but I have to pump the throttle while cranking it to get gas up to the carb. I was wondering if I needed to swap out the stock fuel pump in the tank with one meant for a V6 or V8 electric fuel pump or not, and if so...what's a good recommendation if anyone has changed to a electric pump that squirts out more volume than a 4 cylinder electric in tank pump? Not sure I want to slide another 4 banger electric fuel pump into the tank if it isn't up to the task. Thoughts?
Vega2008

Postby BadBowtie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:47 am

Vega2008 wrote: (...)
I can still start the car up, but I have to pump the throttle while cranking it to get gas up to the carb. I was wondering if I needed to swap out the stock fuel pump in the tank with one meant for a V6 or V8 electric fuel pump or not, and if so...what's a good recommendation if anyone has changed to a electric pump that squirts out more volume than a 4 cylinder electric in tank pump? Not sure I want to slide another 4 banger electric fuel pump into the tank if it isn't up to the task. Thoughts?

I'm no expert in Buick v6's but id have to say if you're pumping the throttle and the electric pump is out, it makes me think your mechanical pump isnt working that well to start with. Considering the AFV has its own fuel bowl there should already be gas in it when you go to start it , so you might have an issue up there as well.

Checking out an old post http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=425 , they mention that there are different pumps for the I4 and V8 so a cheap upgrade could be to just use a generic replacement for a v8 monza.

My v8 is running a stock 4cyl pump and a good v8 mechanical pump and I have no issues, like I stated in here its the less than ideal way to run it but I use the electric pump for priming and a small addition to add flow to the mechanical pump. It would be worth checking fuel pump ground / wiring too.
James

BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to General Discussion