New H-body Owner-Non Running Issue

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New H-body Owner-Non Running Issue

Postby 71vegadan » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks again for all your help Clyde. So I bypassed the oil pressure switch by connecting the pink to the blue wires, turned the key to the on or run position and checked the voltage between the tan wire and ground (also checked the blue just for giggles) and got 0 volts. I also checked the fuel pump fuse in the fuse panel under the dash and it looks good.
71vegadan

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:13 pm

Do you have voltage at the blue wire at the connector in the engine bay?
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 71vegadan » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:25 pm

With the key in the Run position I placed my multimeter between the blue wire and ground as well as the the pink wire and ground. In both cases it read 12 volts.
71vegadan

Postby 71vegadan » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:59 pm

Ok this must be operator error or something! I went back out and checked the voltage again at the back harness. Low and behold with the oil pressure switch jumper in place I was now getting 12 volts where yesterday I got 0. I think that the ground that I was using yesterday was not a good choice. So i decided to hook up the fuel pump to see what happens and now with the ignition in the run position, it works! Maybe a connection was a little dirty and doing all this cleaned them up? When I reconnected the oil pressure switch, nothing happened so I plan to get a new one. My plan now is to put it all back together and see what happens. Can I run the car for a short time with the oil pressure switch bypassed? Thanks for all your guys help and patience. I really do appreciate it. Dan
71vegadan

Postby 79MonzaSpyder » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:02 am

Yes, you can run the engine with the jumper wire bypassing the oil pressure switch, the danger is that the power for the fuel pump is ran through the oil pressure switch as a safety feature so that the fuel pump will stop running when there is no oil pressure to stop fuel flow in case of and accident or fire the pump will stop and thus not feed a fire. Also with the switch disconnected you will not get a low oil pressure warning.

also you said you reconnected the oil pressure switch and got 0 volts at the pump. You should only get 12 volts at the pump with the oil pressure switch connected if the ignition is in the start position OR in the run position ONLY if the engine is running and developing enough oil pressure to turn the oil pressure light OFF. With the oil pressure switch connected and the ignition in the run position and the engine NOT running or the oil pressure light illuminated you should have 0 volts at the fuel pump.
The Fleet
2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
79 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Pickup Fully Restored with matching 78 11' Camper
80 Monza 2+2, Cloned into a 79 Monza Spyder V8 4 Speed (Current Project)
80 Monza Spyder V6 Auto (parts car, sadly)
80 Honda CB750K Fully Restored with Custom Full Dress
80 Honda CM400A 10,000 Orig. Miles Full Dress
75 Honda XL250 Fully Restored (first vehicle I ever owned)
73 Honda SL125 off roader
72 Honda Motorsport 250 (XL250) off roader
79MonzaSpyder

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:58 am

Faulty/corroded connections can always be a issue especially with low voltage systems like a car. That is why that is always the first thing I suggest when troubleshooting. Bad grounds or oxidized/corroded connections can easily cost you several volts or more which on a 12 volt system is a lot. The pump gets voltage from 2 ways, 1st is when you are cranking and 2nd is when you have enough oil pressure. Only under one of these conditions will you get voltage to the pump. With the oil pressure switch reconnected with no oil pressure you will only see voltage if you start cranking the starter. It sounds like with all you have done you may just want to crank the engine for a bit and see if you start getting fuel
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 71vegadan » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:14 pm

It lives!! I was able to get it started tonight! It actually runs pretty smoothly. It must have been a poor electrical connection that was "cleaned up" as they were disconnected and reconnected. I ordered a new fuel pump for insurance since the gas tank is dropped right now. It should arrive in about a week at which time I will put it all together and pull it out onto my driveway and take some pictures to post. Thanks again for everybody's help. Dan
71vegadan

Postby 71vegadan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:14 pm

So I have decided to go ahead and replace the fuel pump. How in the heck do you get the strainer on the end of the pump?? This thing is impossible. Any tricks? Thanks Dan.
71vegadan

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:00 am

I have changed a few and a couple went real smooth, and at least one was an "all out Bar Fight", so for those, just use patients and get the little steps/bites that you can and work around and around until you think you have victory, and go at least one more time just working it on a little bit more. This is where the fight usually went kind of bad as you think your done and you just breeze it by the tank opening and it would fall the F :censored: K OFF :bang: :bang: :bang: ! What I remember doing was changing the hose [again] where it connected to the pick-up tube and pushing the inlet through the end just a little bit further and maybe a "really light" smear of Vaseline to aid in getting just a hair more inlet sticking out. I hope this helps I think that there must just be a little variation in the lengths and diameters to cause some "disturbance" Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby dindin » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:15 am

Mine seemed impossible also... so I tapped it on with a hammer, one good solid shot and it was done...This was actually recommended to me by carter tech support...

Al
dindin

Postby spencerforhire » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:56 pm

I'm kinda late to the party here, but your testing procedure would have gone easier if you had the right information. At the tank, tan is the gauge sender, and blue is the pump 12v +. And you would have read 8-9 volts at the sender with the key on. With the oil pressure switch jumped under the hood, there should have been 12 + on the blue wire.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby 71vegadan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:42 pm

With the oil pressure switch jumped, I hear the pump run when I turn the key to the On position prior to starting the car. When I installed a new pressure switch and reconnected it, I no longer hear the pump run in the On position. Is this normal or did I get a bad "new" switch? I also noticed that my oil pressure light does not come on if that has anything to do with it.
71vegadan

Postby dindin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:18 pm

Not sure 100% but I think that the fuel pump only comes on during crank with low oil pressure..

Al
dindin

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:23 pm

You will not hear the pump run in the ON position because you don't have any oil pressure yet. the pump runs under 2 conditions, while cranking and after the engine starts and has at least about 7 lbs of oi pressure.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 71vegadan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:00 am

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if the pump was supposed to come on in just the ON position.
71vegadan

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion