78 Monza without gauges, what's needed....

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

78 Monza without gauges, what's needed....

Postby RobR » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:44 am

I just bought a 78 Monza that has the standard speedo and fuel gauge. What would be needed to add the factory gauge cluster to this car? I doubt it's plug and play, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rob
75 Cosworth Vega 576
RobR

1975 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Re: 78 Monza without gauges, what's needed....

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:48 am

Rob I'll start this off! You will need the whole cluster [with gauges] as the "plain" one is different than the "Gauges" one , you will also need the gauge senders, and this is where the "UGLY" will really start. You will have to add the wiring both in the engine bay and under dash, choices being add the missing parts yourself, or find the right harnesses and swap them out You maybe able to do a combination of the two depending upon what you can find . Swapping would be the neatest, but at this point finding the harness with the right engine [4,6,or8] with, or without A/C, and headlight style [2 or 4, part of the engine harness IIRC],correct alternator size, maybe a factor(?), then the dash, I think the only significant items in play here will be Rear window defogger and A/C. You wanted to re-do the harness in fancy loom any way Right? :( You may get lucky, it happens with surprising frequency with these cars. Others will chime in with what ever omissions I may have committed. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RobR » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:29 am

Wow! That is a bit insane. Hmm...have to rethink putting factory gauges in. Might have to go aftermarket then. Or just leave the mini gauges above the shifter.

Thanks for that detailed explanation. i would have never thought it was that much of a difference.
Rob
75 Cosworth Vega 576
RobR

1975 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby jpb04619 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:19 am

i've changed a couple of monzas and at least one vega to the clusters with the gauge package......all i did was plug the new cluster into the firewall and change out the oil pressure sender and run a wire for the tach,,,,,,,,,easy peasy....of course you have to obtain the wiring harness with the new cluster

john b
jpb04619

Return to General Discussion