How do I know if my Mirage is real?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

How do I know if my Mirage is real?

Postby spyderhunter » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:52 pm

I bought my Mirage from Dan Boardman but have always questioned why the interior is white with blue carpet and dash panels. All of the Mirages I have seen have red interior. there was a sticker on the door that said it was a Mirage but putting a Mirage door on would do that. Is there a code on the Vin that would prove it? The reason I ask, is because my choices for the car revolve around the car's authenticity. When I stripped it, It seemed like factory paint with painted stripes, and only one repainted spot on the door and quarter. If it is not a Mirage, I would change the paint scheme and probably remove the panels because I actually was looking for a Spyder in the first place. I like the looks of the Spyder better than the Mirage, but would keep the integrity of the Mirage body, paint and interior if it is indeed a Mirage, because of the rarity of them. It also had no front spoiler and showed no holes (that I remember) to suggest one was ever there. The rims are correct though. What are your thoughts?
spyderhunter

Re: How do I know if my Mirage is real?

Postby greg72 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:37 pm

Mirages could have had any color interior. Also the Mirage package could have been ordered for just about any 1977 Monza 2+2 regardless of engine choice.

They were all painted white. The interiors could have been white, black, red , etc. I have had 2 both had red interiors although i would prefer white with red accents (dash, carpets etc).

There is no definitive way to verify the authenticity of a Mirage (well except that it must be a 1977 Monza 2+2). One possible tell tale sign is blue and red over spray in the cowl area, that part of the Mirages was painted. However if a car has been repainted those might be gone.

You can check the Mirage Registry - possibly your car was listed there by a previous owner - again not positive proof , but circumstantial evidence at least.

http://www.monzamirage.com/
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby spyderhunter » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:30 pm

I did check the registry and it is there, under Dan Boardman's name. That's what it looked like when I got it. I guess I will continue with the original plan and put it back to the way it looked originally....except for under the hood :th: . The stripes and lettering will be painted and buried under clear though, wet sanded and buffed smooth. Thanks for the help Greg. By the way, does your rear spoiler fit on top of the rear deck lid or does the back of it dip under and kind of wrap inside a little? Mine was off when I got it and I'm not sure exactly how it should be mounted in realation to position. If you have a picture of it that would work too. Thanks again.
spyderhunter

Postby spyderhunter » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:51 pm

Mirage documentation.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spyderhunter

Postby rm617 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:50 pm

You can contact George Zapora by email at George.Zapora@cc.gm.ca. He can verify for sure if it is a real Mirage or not. If it is, he will send you a document like the attached.

George Zapora
General Motors of Canada
Vintage Vehicle Services
CA1-160-001
1908 Colonel Sam Drive
Oshawa, ON
Canada L1H 8P7

Phone: 905-440-7636
Fax: 905-440-7644
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron
1977 Monza Mirage 20,000 original miles
Featured in Hemming Muscle Machines magazine January 2005 issue.
rm617

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby spyderhunter » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:20 pm

That is pretty much what the document I have is. Here is the zoomed in image that shows that.
spyderhunter

Postby stage169 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:45 am

spyderhunter wrote:
Mirage documentation.jpg

Could you make a bigger scan of this document? Thanks!
stage169

Postby monzapla » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:35 pm

The complete mirage package could be purchased by anyone and attached by anyone. The "MIRAGE" was not a "factory" add-on.
That being said, Any mirage is a mirage.
monzapla

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby stage169 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:45 pm

Spyderhunter from what I see your car was definitely intended by the factory to be a Mirage. Ron's resto pack shows the RPO ZX1 and the same RPO code is on your sheet (is that a window sticker?). Ron's also shows the number GM Canada has for Monza's with the ZX1 code at 4,124. The option report from Chevy shows just a little bit lower number and from previous experience it could mean export cars. Specific documents for an H body is slick if you like that stuff. I would really like a good copy of yours if you don't mind. If you decide to contact George Zapora give him a heads up you are looking for the ZX1 RPO for your car. When Ron got his it did not include that RPO but after talking to George he found it.

I've heard people here often talk about dealer installed Mirage's but I don't recall hearing of people buying the components for a Mirage and doing it themselves. Either way that would make a good story if someone could share.

Keep us posted on your car!
stage169

Postby monzapla » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:28 pm

Check out my front air dam. At the time, I could of ordered the complete kit or any 1 piece of the kit (such as the air dam).
monzapla

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby stage169 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:44 am

Sure, but his question was one of authenticity.

If GM would of had a part number for all the components and offered that, to me that would make a good story. Wonder if you could of gotten that MAT tag back in the day?

We would have to use that bad word here....CLONE :D
stage169

Postby monzaaddict » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:21 pm

What is the the story with the window sticker? It shows firethorn interior but you said your car has the white and blue interior. Any drivetrain could be ordered as well as any interior. See below. If you had the window sticker or the vintage vehicles report from GM Canada it would show the zx1 drop shipment code. As far as the interior color I believe your body tag will have info. showing what it came with from factory. I also think there is date code info stamped on the inside of the doors if you think they might have been changed. When the interior door panel is removed is the door painted white? Is it white beneath the mirage panels. The emblems should still be on the fenders below the mirage panels.There is a hole drilled at the front of the rear panels for a clip. There is a mating pin molded into the panel that holds the panel to the car. Are these present. Is the front lower fascia painted black in the center where the airdam would be? In my opinion your car is a real mirage.
http://www.monzamirage.com/sales/how_to ... mirage.pdf
monzaaddict

Postby spyderhunter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:24 pm

I didn't even know I had the title, it was inside a book that was in the car when I got it. I didn't really look through it (obviously!)
spyderhunter

Postby spyderhunter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:29 pm

I'm not sure of the authenticity of this one because the typing in the background looks photocopied and not very clear, but the codes and other information is much clearer and sharper. But the title and vin # should clear things up, right?
spyderhunter

Postby spyderhunter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:49 pm

Yes there were lots of holes for the mounting strip to hold the panels on, and the paint was white under the stripes that were painted also. I had bought a bunch of parts from Gulfport, MS. and may have mixed one of the documents with the title that I got with the car. So I'm not even sure if that belongs to my car. There was so much going on at the time I bought it, and being 7 yrs ago, I just can't remember. I hope I can remember how to put everything back!! :bang:
spyderhunter

Next

Return to General Discussion