Any interest in a correct fitting carpet for 75 monza

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Any interest in a correct fitting carpet for 75 monza

Postby NVEGAR8D » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:27 pm

Hi, I'm in as i will be needing new carpets for mine. all i have left is the carpet for covering the tire hatch.
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby monzaaddict » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:02 pm

I Dug out the old carpet I have and will send it to Auto Custom Carpet. I am also sending the molded carpet side pieces that are in hatch area. Maybe they can reproduce these too (not holding my breath).
Replicating all the factory underlayment is going to be necessary to get a factory fit. I know my car had some sort of insulation above catalytic converter, die cut mastic coated pads and jute underlayments. ACC has bulk underlayment available. Adding some sort of spray on insulation to floorpan might be a good idea.
If anyone has pictures of the original underlayments on floorpan after factory carpet was removed please post them.
Anyone have the factory rubber floor mats available? I cant find mine - I have too many boxes of parts. I think just a tracing of the outline on plastic sheeting would suffice. They would have to be marked to denote the "up" side and top. The ACC mats have the the rubber gripper backing and either vinyl or serge bindings. Logos could be added if wanted - "MONZA", "Spyder" script etc.
My hatch floor carpet seems to have shrunk.. If anyone wants to make a tracing of theirs I would appreciate it.
Matching carpet will be needed for the back of rear seat and the metal plate that folds down. Anyone want to measure the dimensions.
Clyde, didn't you make something to cover the inside of the hatch? Could you post a picture? How is it attached.

Some literature
https://www.accmats.com/assets/download ... _Guide.pdf
Last edited by monzaaddict on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monzaaddict

Postby monzaaddict » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:13 pm

These are the floor mats I want a tracing of. These were used on Chevettes also. Clyde your ACC mats are different than these correct?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzaaddict

Postby monzaaddict » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:07 pm

NVEGAR8D wrote:Hi, I'm in as i will be needing new carpets for mine. all i have left is the carpet for covering the tire hatch.
nick75vega

You should be able to get carpet from ACC. This is for the 75 Monza/Skyhawk/Starfire with its unique transmission tunnel (for rotary engine).
Here is an ACC carpet in a Vega
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=41287&start=15
monzaaddict

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:28 pm

My mats are from ACC and they are cut from the same material as the carpet. I don't have a problem with the mats. As far as the hatch, I did use extra carpet material and had a edging sewn on and then fitted it to the unfinished hatch. I tried using velcro to secure it but the heat would cause it to sag. I ended up attaching the carpet to some thin formica type material to give it some backing and then attached it with some interior trim screws to the hatch. Finishes it off much nicer than bare metal structure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby gregh » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:26 am

I also have a 75 2 + 2 and I'm very interested in where this thread goes because I need carpet badly.
gregh

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:01 pm

not a 75 but gives idea of how much underlayment needs to be in place for correct fit. http://www.forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=29324
monzaaddict

Postby sirrick4 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:39 pm

G'day Monzaaddict.
Yeh mate, the wheel wells, hatch floor, seat back and fold down metal plate. Cheers
Rick
Rick ......1975 Monza 2+2
sirrick4

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:13 pm

When I get to this I think I am going to invest in a commercial steamer. Maybe used off Ebay. I am sure I will find other uses for it around house. https://jiffysteamer.com/steamers/jiffy ... 4000a.html Here is another option to using commercial steamer. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pX2BAr5CHwo

I also found references to using bags of sand, spray glue, even contact cement, to hold carpet down while steaming and stretching material along tunnel.
Last edited by monzaaddict on Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
monzaaddict

Postby NVEGAR8D » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:02 pm

Hi, Thanks monzaaddict
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby SOLSAKS » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:56 pm

i also had problems with my 1977 monza coupe installation
of carpet from ACC

i have done several other cars & SUVs with ACC Carpet before and
the fit was much better in those applications.
and the stamping or molding of the carpet was much better on those other cars too

the area i had the most difficulty was
where my feet rest in the driver side

it seems the carpet was not big/wide enuff to go down the side of transmission hump
all the way to the floor pan, because i now have a void or pocket of space
where my right foot is, i can barley operate accelerator because of it.

note: i did use a lot of floor insulation
to make it as thick as factory padding
but i still had the issue of poor fit in foot area.

i wonder if there is any chance my floor pan has the taller transmission hump
like the 75's had ?...with car makers in the 70s i think anything is possible.

ACC is a good company
but as with a lot of parts for H bodies,....their h body stuff leaves a little more to be desired,.....like correct size and fit !!!

dave in NC :D
SOLSAKS

Postby SeniorSavage » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:35 pm

so I've decided to cut the ACC carpet along the floor at the base of the tranny tunnel and then use the extra carpet I ordered (to cover the back hatch floor) to run a strip from the front to the back on each side which I'll then slip up about 2 inches under that ,, should work i think and be barely noticeable.
The fleet;
1975 Buick Skyhawk 3.8 V6 turbo - total restore ongoing (soon!)
1996 Fleetwood Bounder 36' Ford 460 TBI motorhome
2004 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic 88ci 1450cc. - custom original.
2005 Ford 500 Limited (wife's car) - working original.
2006 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT LS VorTec 4200
SeniorSavage

1975 Buick Skyhawk

Previous

Return to General Discussion