FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Thanks , for the kinds words. The stock manifolds, were painted with high temp paint. I should powder coat them I am sure. I recently have been removing curb rash from the aluminum 89? Blazer n Sonoma wheels. Polishing the faces and prepping the inner portion to match the car color. I heard from the seat belt planet guy and we discussed the level of restoration for those... I am going to have to change the clear overlay cluster bezel. The temp and fuel labels..and amps to volts...more to come...peace.
>Update...High temp paint, nor powder coating would have staed on the manifolds I was told, so, I took them to Orlando and had them Ceramic Coated, silver..
Last edited by 74_Vega_GT on Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:19 am

The seat belts came in and I am impressed. ** THUMBS UP FOR SEATBELT PLANET dot com.** The AC aluminum re-fabricated lines are in transit on their way here with 134a fitting. I polished the aluminum receiver dryer. Finishing the seamwork on the front air dam (3 piece fiberglass mated to plastic). Significant work should resume on the project in a couple of weeks my guy has been on ...lets call it vacation ..again...
The 140 motor is awaiting refreshing to prep it for sale. I do not intend on parting out the Offie or the Heddman header, it will be sold as a complete motor with the engine stand, thanks.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:29 pm

A/C lines are in and duplicated nicely, except for the male end on the condenser side which should have been female.
> Dual Cold Air Intake dilema on the 4.3 vortec 550 Edie. Spectre makes one style with different angles of input. 180, 150, 135 degrees. Models-9834,9854,and 7328. I am considering going this way to avoid any hood clearance issues. Cutting a hole in a perfectly good hood is not an option for this resto-mod. I would imagine that the different angles of input are not for performance but to route the intake air around components.
> Routing the compressor manifold pipes is another dilema. Normally this 4.3 engine is found in the Astrovan, S-10's and Blazers. I have not seen a V6 h-body with A/C to use as a guide yet.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:13 pm

No, dual cold air isn't in the cards for this car. Single maybe, but let's get her running and painted first. So, the project has picked up again and we have determined that there was no difference in the width of the door skin at the window sweep on the GT models with Ledge reveal molding and ...that we fixed another door without having to...DOOOH!!.. I have an extra passenger door ready for paint now it seems. I am posting a few pics of the progress as she stands now. I found a perfect coolant recovery bottle in the junk yard this weekend. That should be my last trip there. Found a nice repairable vega hood 74 that I had not seen before. I dont need it though, so I left it to continue weathering away.
Attachments
Door-rotted.jpg
Door-rotted.jpg (115.02 KiB) Viewed 133 times
Repairing door.jpg
Repairing door.jpg (113.12 KiB) Viewed 133 times
Evap recvr.jpg
Evap recvr.jpg (106.36 KiB) Viewed 133 times
Reinforced-hatch.jpg
Reinforced-hatch.jpg (107.55 KiB) Viewed 133 times
Fixed door.jpg
Fixed door.jpg (81.08 KiB) Viewed 133 times
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:16 pm

The hatchback repair pic is Photoshopped to show where the reinforcements were welded in place under the top skin for stability.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:24 pm

A couple more--
Attachments
AC lines.jpg
AC lines.jpg (95.18 KiB) Viewed 131 times
Carb mockup1.jpg
Carb mockup1.jpg (107.3 KiB) Viewed 131 times
Engine front.jpg
Engine front.jpg (105.76 KiB) Viewed 131 times
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:18 pm

Trimmed out the Steele quarter glass gasket for swing out today. After a couple of trial fits and a little bit of sanding with emory cloth, the gasket took shape nicely. There was an oops on the other side when the exacto slipped into the thin edge that you must leave at the bottom edge. The repair looks a bit cheesy, so, I tried to get a single ordered and they were reluctant to break up a pair. Oh, by the way, on the inner side of the ORIGINAL quarter gasket, they had a plastic piece that the gasket fit into then the plastic actually held it to the window frame edge, you will not need this plastic inner piece when reinstalling the (different) Steele gasket. So I had read somewhere about Steele not having a swing out template to go by to be able to offer both types and
I offered to send them the one we had an oops on that way they could have a template in exchange for them breaking up a set . They are checking and will get back to me on it. Worse comes to worse, I'll order a set and have a spare. >>EDITED<<Great Company, they sent me a fresh pair, I am sending them an original swing out gasket and the one we had the oops on...second oops now...ssshhhh.. :oops:
== Fitting the Wheaton front air dam was a bit tricky today as it wasn't quite right. We had to extend the center piece and modify the curve to fit nicely without stressing the piece. We have mated the stock plastic valance to the Wheaton3 piece air dam so that they install as one unit.
I am undecided on which daytime driving lights to choose. I am looking at Hella mini 6. There is a rectangular opening that is 5.5 inches X 1.5 inches. I will need to fuse that circuit and set up a separate rocker switch for it. Perhaps in the nice Monza console thats going to be installed.....when we get that far, ...Peace
Last edited by 74_Vega_GT on Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:05 pm

Could not find an artist "with a steady hand" to repaint the white on the 8k Cosw. tachometer, so, I spent the day in PhotoShop with an image of the tachometer. I was able to correctly size the image and will output it in outdoor vinyl once the paper template cutout for the idiot lights is completed. Should be tomorrow. Peace WWG1WGA.
74_Vega_GT

Previous

Return to Project Journals