Malaise Era Cars...

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Malaise Era Cars...

Postby dindin » Fri May 10, 2019 3:00 pm

Hemmings predictions

Long-ignored cars will gain in appeal among a new generation of collectors. Love the term or hate it (and frankly, we see it as a term of endearment), Malaise-era automobiles are white-hot right now. While a COPO Camaro or Shelby G.T. 350 might not garner a second look at the local show and shine,a preserved or restored Pinto, Maverick, Gremlin, Pacer, Vega, or Monza will likely draw crowds. And then there’s Radwood, which celebrated cars of the ’80s and ’90s overlooked by “serious” collectors. How much is this segment poised to grow in 2019? RM Sotheby’s is offering the “Youngtimer Dream Garage Collection” of European and Japanese cars at several auctions in 2019, and we expect them to command eye-opening prices.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/12/2 ... -business/

Al
dindin

Re: Malaise Era Cars...

Postby 77_Skyhawk » Sat May 11, 2019 10:57 am

I have to agree with you. When I would take my Pro Street Skyhawk to the car shows, there was always plenty of high-dollar valuable cars out there but I would always the whole time the car was there have at least four or five people standing around it. Far more than the infamous hot rods that everybody has. I thought it was pretty cool to get all the attention over the Camaros Cadillacs and Impalas
77_Skyhawk

Re: Malaise Era Cars...

Postby vegastre » Sun May 12, 2019 1:33 am

Good read...file that one under "every dog has his day"

Ya, Z cars are hotter than a firecracker and a short few years ago you could have picked them up for a song. Someone wiser than me said, "if you see the band wagon coming you're too late to the party" better hop on that Vega wagon before it's too late.

I'm not too surprised car museums are closing. Car collections and more especially car museums are pretty boring to most. By volume you will see collectors cars repeated over and over from collection to collection and most times identical to each other right down to the hose clamps. Automobiles to a large degree are not particularly rare considering the Millions produced. So called Car Museums are based largely on the nostalgia factor and a collectors whim. I like to think of them as a history lesson in industrial arts.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Return to General Discussion