Door hinge springs

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Door hinge springs

Postby 80firenza » Mon May 27, 2019 8:51 pm

I’ll try this question here first . I’m not seeing how theses door hinge springs install . Can it be done with the door on? I see where it rests against the body side of the hinge but something seems to be missing . Maybe broken tang ? A pic of this would help .
80firenza

Re: Door hinge springs

Postby cosvega76 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:02 am

Yes, it can be done with the door on, but you need a spring compressor. It kinda looks like a pair of tongs with a bolt through the middle.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr- ... gIbq_D_BwE

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Kenova » Tue May 28, 2019 11:13 am

It is possible that a piece of the hinge that helps retain the spring has broken off. That was the case with my '71 Nova.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby 80firenza » Tue May 28, 2019 1:34 pm

Thanks for the replies . My suspicion is that something may be broken I can compress the spring if need be but just don’t see where it would rest . That why a pic of this setup would help to identify what it should like . If there is something broken then I’ll just live with it .the only alternative would be to replace the hinge and they’re welded on .
80firenza

Postby Kenova » Tue May 28, 2019 10:54 pm

80firenza wrote: .the only alternative would be to replace the hinge and they’re welded on .

My Nova has the hinges welded on also.
I bought a new hinge, cut the missing piece off of the new hinge and welded it to the hinge on the door. The new hinge also supplied me with a new spring, bushings, and pin.
I will try and remember to take a picture of my Vega's hinge tomorrow.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby vegastre » Wed May 29, 2019 12:41 am

Zip Tie Wrap Trick

Memory is a little rusty because I haven't done it in awhile (ten years) but a fairly simple operation.

Compress the spring in a vice or what have you and then zip tie it with a decent size tie wrap. Install it in the hinge and snip the tie wrap and 'presto' done deal.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby 80firenza » Wed May 29, 2019 7:13 am

i would buy a hinge if i could ever find one .installing the spring would be no big deal if it weren't missing the tang that the outbound part of the spring rests on .as i rack my brain, if i found a used hinge with the proper center section that supports the spring i could grind down the pin that holds it in place and replace it with the new piece.i need to figure out how to post pics on here that might help.
80firenza

Return to General Discussion