74 vega Front sway bar and brackets WANTED

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

74 vega Front sway bar and brackets WANTED

Postby 74PumpkinMachine » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:34 am

I have a base model 74 vega Wagon that doesn't have a front sway bar or bracket. Anybody got one for sale? Also I’m not sure if the back control arms have a bracket so I would be greatful if someone could post a pic of what it looks like !
74PumpkinMachine

Re: 74 vega Front sway bar and brackets WANTED

Postby hammerdown7 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:51 am

The rear sway bar mounts to the lower control arms. There are two holes in the arms where it mounts. From the factory there was a spacer that slides up under the bottom opening so that when you tighten the bolts the sides of each control arm don't get pinched toward each other, The picture shows the later '76 rear end with the torque arm but you can see the rear sway bar which is the same on all models.

image267.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:01 am

I may have the front mounts you speak of, I'll take a look today and get back with you. I guess the rear question was answered by Hammerdowns diagram. I am curious why they had 2 different "trackbars" , one straight and one curved. Cosworth had the curved....

~EDIT~ -I looked and I do not have a second set. Happy hunting....
..thanks for clarifying that info on the track bar Dick.
Last edited by 74_Vega_GT on Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:05 pm

'75 Cosworth's as well as '75 Monza, Skyhawk & Starfire had the curved track bar. I think it was because of different dimensions of the floor when GM was thinking about the Wankel engine. All '76 & later H-body's had the straight track bar.
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby Smiley » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:21 pm

The lower front control arms usually did not have the sway bar end link brackets on models that did not come with a sway bar. You would need to change your lower control arms or weld some brackets on your current LCA's.
Smiley

Return to General Discussion