Car Craft Magazine July, 1984. stop-hop brackets

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Car Craft Magazine July, 1984. stop-hop brackets

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:39 pm

Can anyone post or email me high resolution pictures/scans of the July 1984 issue of Car Craft Magazine? Specifically the front cover and pages relating to the hop-stop brackets. There are already some on here in a thread, but they have been defiled by photobucket and I need some clean examples to use on a project. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Email is: Burnoutsandrotorblades@gmail.com

Car Craft July, 1984.JPG

articlep1001.jpg

articlep2001.jpg

articlep3001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by burnouts&rotorblades on Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1972 Vega Wagon; 283 V8, 4 speed video 1
#DriftVega
YouTube/butnoutsAndRotorblades
Facebook/BurnoutsAndRotorblades
instagram @BurnoutsAndRotorblades
[url]BurnoutsAndRotorblades@gmail.com[/url]

"Don't get it right, Just get it running"
burnouts&rotorblades

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Re: Car Craft Magazine July, 1984. stop-hop brackets

Postby Smiley » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:17 pm

Monzamouse makes these with the uppers extended if you are welding brackets on a new housing.

IMG_1137.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smiley

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:24 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I'm modding a stock axle for the moment. I will probably need these when I move on to the s10 axle. until then, I need the magazine article parts.
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby Smiley » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:56 am

1E781925-5098-4F34-9BBC-258A449E0843.jpeg
Smiley

Postby Smiley » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:31 am

I would use adjustable rear upper control arms with what ever you use to raise the upper mounting points, they can be straight with the raised brackets.
If the rear end is the original 6.5" I wouldn't put much work into it, the spider gears are weak and it will not take S10 axles.
https://www.facebook.com/Impraticalcustoms/ Nathan Williams makes the bolt on stop hops.
IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg
Smiley

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:55 am

Smiley,

I have seen those pictures as well. However, they are lacking the first page that gives all the backstory on why to do this mod.

I do intend to replace this rearend with an s10 unit. However, I want it to do burnouts without trying to rip the rear axle out of the car for the time being. Not much is sadder than a V8 car that wont do a burnout.

I appreciate your help and I'm looking into those monzamouse brackets for when I find an s10 rear suitable for the swap.
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby Smiley » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:16 pm

The reason to do it is to stop the wheel hop.
Traction bars help but all the V8 Motion Vega’s used bolt on stop-hops.
I broke two 6.5” rear ends doing burnouts with traction bars before I put a 12 bolt in it.
A 7.5” Monza rear end is a better swap than a 7.5” S10 rear.
The Monza rear only needs the 2 upper control arms welded on.
You can use the extended uppers and set the pinion angle before you weld them on.

82-88 S10 axles can be swapped into the Monza housing if you want 5 lugs.
Smiley

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:42 am

Monza rears in and around Las Vegas are basically non-existant. In the early 2000's when the price of steel went up, everything in town or nearby was crushed. An entire, decades-old, classic VW salvage yard was bought from the long-time owner and promptly scrapped. There are no hidden gems in pastures and backyards around here.

What can be found by the truckload about 5 minutes from my house are the 2000-era s10 blazers. They come with disc brakes, favorable gear ratios, and sometimes posi. As a bonus, the engines crap out on them and it's not uncommon to find a whole truck in decent shape for $300. I can part out and scrap the rest after I've harvested the front spindles and rear axle for a possible break-even. That's more than can normally be asked for in Las Vegas.

Not to spit in the face of the knowledge you just to passed on, but because it is logistically impractical, I will probably go with an s10 blazer rear axle. A foxbody 8.8 would be choice #2 because of availability in the area, but then I would have to spend some decent coin on aftermarket axles to adapt to 5x4.75 lug pattern like I did for my GBody wagon (link in the signature). Machine work around here is pretty outrageous and it was not cost effective to have the stock axles drilled. This leaves me with the best option being an s10 for these and more reasons I'll cover below. In the interim, while I'm scrounging up the cash and time to bring home a whole s10 blazer to put my plan into motion, I have a set of 25 year old tires on the back of the Vega I would like to turn into smoke. Preferably without damaging the rest of the drivetrain and suspension in the process.

There has been a recent increase in interest in the Vega recently. I coincidentally bought a Vega I had been searching for just ahead of this spike in interest. I would like to believe, there are guys left in the world who want to buy a Vega and not immediately hack it to pieces to turn into some pro-mod. I'm not a purist by any means, but 9 of the 10 vehicles I see for sale are missing the floor from the firewall back with some unrealized attempt at a tube chassis. I want a simple driver that can handle a corner, with enough V8 to make the drag strip fun on occasion, and that I can use to make the wife reach for the oh-shit handle at will. I want it to be comfortable/practical enough for a family road trip and robust enough I'm not afraid to drive it. In the project section I have a thread where I lay out my plan to make this car into my vision.

I read the Car Craft article in its entirety in this thread and understand the reason behind, and benefits for this mod. I feel like the article from Car Craft did an excellent job at presenting the information in a day where car magazines were the media of choice. Now YouTube exists. I make YouTube videos and take it seriously-ish. I won't claim to make good videos, just videos. I would like to take this simple mod and make it into a video. This mod is cheap and for the entry level enthusiast, a bit easier to swallow than an entire axle swap. However, I do not want to make a video with low resolution pictures or ones marked by photobucket. I was hoping someone in this forum might have a copy of that issue laying in a pile somewhere they would be willing to scan and send my way. It's not a huge deal, I just figured I could ask. There are copies for sale on Ebay, but I thought I might try here first. I do intend to give credit to where I found the information, which includes both the magazine and this forum.

Thanks for all the responses so far Smiley. Your help is 100% appreciated. I sent Monzamouse a PM a couple days ago, but nothing yet. I couldn't find his email.
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby Smiley » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:55 am

Monzamouse’s email is: imlray@comcast.net
My car is a non tubbed V8 driver so I get it.
Some of the S10 rear disc brakes hit the Vega inner wheel well.
I would use 8.5 xtreme S10 if you can find one, or a ZR2 4wd 8.5” and deep backspace wheels.
Autoweld Chassis makes a bolt in 9” Ford housing for early Vegas.
Smiley

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:29 pm

Thanks for the information, again!

I know the 4wd blazer disc brake backing plates are compatible with the 2wd axles and put the caliper below and behind the axle while maintaining the parking brake cable geometry. It should get rid of the need for tubs or clearancing. Fingers crossed.
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:16 am

Axle Hop-Stop brackets are done and they are AMAZING!!

Check out the video!

https://youtu.be/mE54dL5mvGo
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby vegastre » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:59 pm

Sweet! Burn baby burn!

Enjoy that 6.5 while you can :th:
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby 406vega » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:04 pm

I just got done putting energy suspension bushings in the rear of my 73.Boxed upper and lower arms and raised the uppers .Worked out great. Finally able to utilize first gear.Before wheel hop was horrendous.
406vega

Return to General Discussion