BurnoutsAndRotorblades 1972 Vega Kammaback V8 4 Speed

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Nameless 1972 Vega Kammaback V8 4 Speed

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:55 pm

vegastre wrote:Has anyone ever installed a monte Carlo bar or strut bar in their Vega or Vega variant?

PM me your email and I'll send you a picture of a pretty trick Monte Bar on a Vega with a Rotary engine.

Resizing an image here is a pain.

BurnoutsAndRotorblades@gmail.com
1972 Vega Wagon; 283 V8, 4 speed video 1
#DriftVega
YouTube/butnoutsAndRotorblades
Facebook/BurnoutsAndRotorblades
instagram @BurnoutsAndRotorblades
[url]BurnoutsAndRotorblades@gmail.com[/url]

"Don't get it right, Just get it running"
burnouts&rotorblades

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:14 am

I finally fixed the biggest scourge to early Chevy Vega Suspension. NO MORE AXLE HOP

https://youtu.be/mE54dL5mvGo
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby BadBowtie » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:32 pm

Great wagon and cool videos! Subscribed and looking forward to the next installment :burn:
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:37 am

BadBowtie wrote:Great wagon and cool videos! Subscribed and looking forward to the next installment :burn:

Thank you!! I have watched a bunch of your videos as well of your sweet cars. Thanks for the sub!
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:51 am

Great detailed video on the old style 4 link wheel hop fix. I am curious how the 3 link with the panhard bar and torque arm setup compares. Did the engineers overlook the convergence angle that you describe as the cause of the hop when they re-engineered the 3-link design like the Cosworth used in 75 ? Also...all that work and you used the same ragged out bushings? Loved the 3-welds at once video shot. Killed it! Are you familiar with Jordy dot coms work? His dad was director of underwater photography on many famous movie sets.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:36 am

74_Vega_GT wrote:Great detailed video on the old style 4 link wheel hop fix. I am curious how the 3 link with the panhard bar and torque arm setup compares. Did the engineers overlook the convergence angle that you describe as the cause of the hop when they re-engineered the 3-link design like the Cosworth used in 75 ? Also...all that work and you used the same ragged out bushings? Loved the 3-welds at once video shot. Killed it! Are you familiar with Jordy dot coms work? His dad was director of underwater photography on many famous movie sets.

I hear everyone suggest immediately to go to the three link as soon as anyone mentions wheel hop or that they have an early 4-link Vega. It drives me nuts because 4 link is the gold standard for aftermarket suspension setups. Why would I want to regress when I could add adjustable control arms and change a bit of geometry for infinite adjustability and have a bulletproof set-up? I can't speak to the convergence angle on the three link because i don't know much in the way of specifics or history on it. My theory on the four-link convergence angle is; they wanted the suspension to have as much "bite" as possible with the little 4 cylinder and went radical on the geometry to that end. When you put some horsepower to the tires, it has the unfortunate byproduct of causing the rear to want to squat and without the vehicle weight to put weight on the tires it unloads the tire repeatedly. The mod moving the convergence angle simply takes away some "bite." I also noticed that before the mod, the car squatted under power and now it lifts a bit. So, I think the axle drives into the ground more.

I never took out the bushings and I wanted to show it makes less difference about the bushings than the angle. So far, that has been the case. I don't even notice the wrecked bushings. I am considering some adjustable control arms so the bushings might be replaced with heims. Poly bushings at the very least. But all in due time. Electric power steering is my next project I think.
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:07 am

I finally got around to upgrading the cooling system on this Vega.

https://youtu.be/zwBiIRybVgk

Parts list:
Radiator - Griffin Radiator 1-25221-X ClassicCool 26" x 16" 2-Row Aluminum Radiator with 1" Tube
Fan shroud - Summit Adjustable Aluminum Fan Shroud Kits SUM-380501-SH
Fan that didn't fit - Flex-A-Lite Wide Blade Flex Fans 1307 (It hit the lower pulley because I had a double groove on the crank pulley. It might fit a single groove pulley)
Electric fan - Spal 30100384 12" Straight Blade Low Profile Fan
Electric fan mount kit - Derale 13001 Plastic Rod Mounting Kit
Radiator hose coupler - Dewhel Aluminum Black Water Temp Meter Temperature Gauge Joint Pipe Radiator Sensor Adaptor Clamps 38mm
Temperature switch - Derale Single-Stage Fan Controllers 16730
Coolant Reservoir - RYANSTAR Universal car Radiator Coolant Tank 800ml Coolant Expansion Tank Overflow Oil Catch Tank Cooling Catch Bottle Reservoir Aluminum Billet Black
Water neck - A-Team Performance 90° Swivel Water Neck Thermostat Housing Compatible With Chevrolet SBC BBC Small Block Big Block Chevy 283 302 305 327 350 383 396 427 454 502 Black
I modified all the radiator hoses heavily
Upper radiator hose - Mishimoto MMHOSE-GM-5U Chevrolet El Camino (327ci/350ci/400ci/454ci) Silicone Upper Radiator Hose, 1968-1977, Black
Silicone radiator hose 90 degree elbow - Hiwowsport 90 Degree Elbow 4-Ply High Performance Coupler Silicone Hose for Auto with T-Bolt Clamp (1.5''(38mm))
Lower radiator hose - Mishimoto MMHOSE-GM-2L Chevrolet Chevelle (283ci/327ci) Silicone Lower Radiator Hose, 1965-1967, Black
T-Bolt Clamps - 1.75" T-Bolt Hose Clamp - Working Range 51mm - 59mm for 1.75" Hose ID, Stainless Steel Bolt, Stainless Steel Band Floating Bridge and Nylon Insert Locknut (51mm - 59mm, 2 pack)
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:02 pm

I wanted to see your video, clicked on it, Youtube message said I had to be signed in to view it. They have also announced changes to their viewing policy, I suspect the problem is related. Alphabet, that owns Google, and owns YouTube have a major CENSORSHIP campaign going on and many people are using BITCHUTE for their video posting platform. Just sayin...there are alternatives in case you were unaware.....WWG1WGA.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:49 pm

I retain all my original content, so if Youtube ever makes a turn I don't agree with, I can set up shop elsewhere.
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:28 pm

burnouts&rotorblades wrote:
74_Vega_GT wrote:Great detailed video on the old style 4 link wheel hop fix. I am curious how the 3 link with the panhard bar and torque arm setup compares. Did the engineers overlook the convergence angle that you describe as the cause of the hop when they re-engineered the 3-link design like the Cosworth used in 75 ? Also...all that work and you used the same ragged out bushings? Loved the 3-welds at once video shot. Killed it! Are you familiar with Jordy dot coms work? His dad was director of underwater photography on many famous movie sets.

I hear everyone suggest immediately to go to the three link as soon as anyone mentions wheel hop or that they have an early 4-link Vega. It drives me nuts because 4 link is the gold standard for aftermarket suspension setups. Why would I want to regress when I could add adjustable control arms and change a bit of geometry for infinite adjustability and have a bulletproof set-up? I can't speak to the convergence angle on the three link because i don't know much in the way of specifics or history on it. My theory on the four-link convergence angle is; they wanted the suspension to have as much "bite" as possible with the little 4 cylinder and went radical on the geometry to that end. When you put some horsepower to the tires, it has the unfortunate byproduct of causing the rear to want to squat and without the vehicle weight to put weight on the tires it unloads the tire repeatedly. The mod moving the convergence angle simply takes away some "bite." I also noticed that before the mod, the car squatted under power and now it lifts a bit. So, I think the axle drives into the ground more.

I never took out the bushings and I wanted to show it makes less difference about the bushings than the angle. So far, that has been the case. I don't even notice the wrecked bushings. I am considering some adjustable control arms so the bushings might be replaced with heims. Poly bushings at the very least. But all in due time. Electric power steering is my next project I think.

There are a few different 3 link rear suspension styles out there. there is the four link with only one straight upper [coupled and uncoupled (with a coil over shock)], and the torque arm, I don't feel either is a regression from the four link. The uncoupled one is a go to on dirt track oval cars for more than three decades now as it lends itself to uneven traction conditions usually with a Panhard (track) bar or watts link (etc.), [not unlike the streets in the rust belt] and the torque arm was considered a huge step up to the Third Gen F-Bodies, and [sort-of adapted to the independent Vette rear]. The four link is "The Gold Standard" for drag racing as it is the most easily adjusted as track conditions and other variables change. The torque arm is the most set it and forget it of the bunch. Also aside from the wrong convergence point on the Vega the control arms are woefully weaker than the four cylinder needed. Just boxing the control arms have reduced and even eliminated the problem for many, raising the rear mounts on the uppers is only halfway there with any decent V8. The lowers primarily will open and close the "C" shape of the arms under forward pressure of engine torque and traction getting much worse as the wheels go into hop. They become an un dampened spring. That would be on my short list of fixes for your car [and mine even with the "Three Link"] Keep your stuff coming you are livening up the place! Thank You Harry
P.S. I love Q-jets harder to set but again once good they are usually set it and forget it and the deep intake noise of the spread bore is one of the coolest things of the 60's 70's and 80's for me.
burnouts&rotorblades wrote:This time on @Burnoutsandrotorblades, the Vega loses the leaky quadrapuke carb for some performance upgrades and some nuts end up somewhere they shouldn't be. Check it out!!

https://youtu.be/YBL9MHLv7EQ
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:18 am

Monza Harry wrote: There are a few different 3 link rear suspension styles out there. there is the four link with only one straight upper [coupled and uncoupled (with a coil over shock)], and the torque arm, I don't feel either is a regression from the four link. The uncoupled one is a go to on dirt track oval cars for more than three decades now as it lends itself to uneven traction conditions usually with a Panhard (track) bar or watts link (etc.), [not unlike the streets in the rust belt] and the torque arm was considered a huge step up to the Third Gen F-Bodies, and [sort-of adapted to the independent Vette rear]. The four link is "The Gold Standard" for drag racing as it is the most easily adjusted as track conditions and other variables change. The torque arm is the most set it and forget it of the bunch. Also aside from the wrong convergence point on the Vega the control arms are woefully weaker than the four cylinder needed. Just boxing the control arms have reduced and even eliminated the problem for many, raising the rear mounts on the uppers is only halfway there with any decent V8. The lowers primarily will open and close the "C" shape of the arms under forward pressure of engine torque and traction getting much worse as the wheels go into hop. They become an un dampened spring. That would be on my short list of fixes for your car [and mine even with the "Three Link"] Keep your stuff coming you are livening up the place! Thank You Harry
P.S. I love Q-jets harder to set but again once good they are usually set it and forget it and the deep intake noise of the spread bore is one of the coolest things of the 60's 70's and 80's for me.

I know every suspension type has it's place. I am a big fan of dirt track racing and have seen those three links work their magic. My point was more to say the shotgun answer in the H-Body world of "go to the three link," or its many variants, is akin to the "LS swap it" mentality. There isn't always a need to completely reengineer a decent suspension set up when some upper mount tabs and boxed arms will do. I have wanted to make my own adjustable upper and lower control arms so this might be the time to do it.

Holley, Edlebrock, and Rochester brand wars are just personal preference like anything else. I am more comfortable with the Holleys just based on experience with them. I would like to go through a quadrajet once but I have a lot of other projects lined up before I'll take the time to delve in to that.

I appreciate you responding and sharing your knowledge. Also, Thanks for the kind words about the videos. I'll try to keep em' coming. Feel free to make suggestion if you'd like.
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby Smiley » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:44 pm

With raised upper control arm brackets the upper control arms can be straight so they are easier to make.
If you were swapping a Monza rear end and a TH350 into an early Vega I can see the appeal of a bolt in conversion to the torque arm.
Early cars dont have much room next to the driveshaft for a torque arm.
The 4 link allows a lot more options for rear end swaps.
Smiley

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:20 pm

Smiley wrote:With raised upper control arm brackets the upper control arms can be straight so they are easier to make.
If you were swapping a Monza rear end and a TH350 into an early Vega I can see the appeal of a bolt in conversion to the torque arm.
Early cars dont have much room next to the driveshaft for a torque arm.
The 4 link allows a lot more options for rear end swaps.

I intend to keep it four-link. I want to do custom arms. I did read about making them straight and doing it that way makes the most sense. I plan to do an s10 blazer rear and a T5. I just have to order HEIMS.
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:13 pm

Being stranded with fuel system problems stinks. So, I fix all of them this time. Check it out!!

https://youtu.be/XlhOGfwCslM
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:39 am

I guess I'm going to need that axle sooner than I thought. Check out the Video to see why!!

https://youtu.be/Pe84lyS37SQ
#DriftVega

burnouts&rotorblades

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals