Hidden Wiper Motor?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Hidden Wiper Motor?

Postby Mark in INdiana » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:24 pm

To clean up the firewall on my 76 Vega with 2 speed wipers. I’m thinking about hiding the wiper motor in the cowl air box. Looks like a different/later year motor is needed. Early S10 motor maybe? Has anyone done this? What what wiper motor did you use? How did the wiring work out?
Thank you for your input.
Mark
Mark in INdiana

Re: Hidden Wiper Motor?

Postby Wizeguyrc » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:10 am

Specialty Power Windows offers a universal wiper kit that allows the motor to be mounted inside the vehicle. It’s a great kit that is very easy to install and comes with the wiring harness and switch. The wiper transmissions are activated using a cable like a power window uses. The cable is housed inside an aluminum tube that you form to fit. We’ve installed these in several GM cars, but never done one on a Vega. But it will be the same installation as on a 1970-up F-body. Instructions are very clear and easy to follow. If you decide to order one, make sure you specify that you want the GM sized wiper bosses. I believe those would be 5/8” diameter, but double check that. The standard universal kit comes with 1/2” bosses for the street rod style wiper arms.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Mark in INdiana » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:40 am

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it and will keep this in mind. I’ve learned that the Vega electrically grounds the wiper circuit thru the dash wiper switch. Was hoping to keep the stock switch if possible. Right now I’m in the direction for another GM application motor figuring that the grounded switch style circuit would be common on GM platforms in this era. Does anyone know? Thank you. Mark.
Mark in INdiana

Postby Mark in INdiana » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:07 pm

I learned that a wiper motor from a 72 CJ5 could be used. The GM wiper motor and circuit design is not compatible with the Jeep motor. You can use a Jeep rotary switch and wire it accordingly. To use the Vega dash switch with the Jeep motor, I figured out how to modify the switch internals and the circuit wiring. So, with this worked out, I can now move forward with the hidden wiper motor project.
Mark in INdiana

Return to General Discussion