FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:46 am

~ Made some electrical progress. There is still a dead short somewhere that we haven't found. Everything is disconnected such as...the entire dash harness is disconnected, the blower circuit disc...alternator disconnected, choke wire, coil hot wire, fan relay unplugged, resettable relay on the fender well is disconnected, oil sending unit disconnected, wiper motor unplugged, ...still blowing the fuse on a circuit named - Gauge 30A.
~ We relocated the fuse box/harness connector about an inch or so , as you may recall, to make room for the hydraulic master for the throw out bearing. Mounted a steel plate on both sides of the firewall to attach the hydraulic master. Cut a hole in both plates to accommodate the harness connector. We thought we might have pinched a wire during that procedure, so we disassembled the harness connector to access the back side of the fuse box. While observing the back side of the fuse box, whic separates into two halves, we observed that the "Gauges" fuse, which is the one that keeps blowing, has a large PINK wire feeding the fuse and a smaller PINK wire exiting the fuse on the load side. No pinched wires were found, so we reassembled the fuse box and re-mounted it.
~ Concerning the high torque 2 terminal starter that replaced the 3 terminal starter and being that this 74 originally had a POINTS set up style ignition, one of the fusible link wires was no longer needed and eliminated ( we think). This was a wire that was used to supply full 12v to the coil to make up for voltage drop during cranking operations.
~ I was reading in the 77 Fisher H-Body supplement of a device that can pinpoint a short circuit in a bundle of wires to within 4 inches of the short. What baffles me about the short circuit in the "Gauges" circuit is that the fuse blows without the dash or instrument cluster being connected to the harness....weird...
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sun May 17, 2020 9:51 am

~ Project on hold...Picked up another (No.4) Crossfire for cheap 1000 bucks...needs TLC, little tranny maintenance with a conductor plate not allowing the shifter to release....picked it up for a parts car, but, I may flip it because it is so nice. There are only three colors of Crossfires that I do not own...lol
~ Picking back up on the Vega project soon...back to the blowing fuse circuit....ugggh
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
74_Vega_GT

Postby Monza Harry » Thu May 21, 2020 5:18 pm

74_Vega_GT wrote: What baffles me about the short circuit in the "Gauges" circuit is that the fuse blows without the dash or instrument cluster being connected to the harness....weird...

Then that narrows that part down a lot, the cost of electrical repair is as follows. Start at your gauges connector and follow each wire back into the harness, being mindful of things that don't seem right. This is time and labour intensive [cost when jobbed out] you will find the problem if you have the wiring diagrams for you car that will be very insightful while searching, patients will create as much skill as many books/classes, I suspect you will win this! Crossfire Sale is to fund Vega Parts right? LOL! Keep us in the loop Please. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri May 22, 2020 8:08 am

I spent a little time yesterday trying to track down the dead short to ground. Went to the fuse box with continuity test on the blowing fuse (Gauges) circuit. The fuse spade on the left of that holder was complete continuity to ground. and the right side fuse spade showed 16000 ohms. The leads going into that fuse are Large wire- pink-fuse-small pink wire. According to the schematic there are two fuses on opposite sides of the diagram with pink leads in and out. They branch into the ignition and the oil sending unit, as well as the fuel gauge....hmmm.
I intend to check out the fuel tank harness to make sure none of those wires got pinched...
~ The Crossfire appears to have drank a cup of coffee into the shifter and footwell. It's a Mercedes you may be aware with the 722.6 transmission...I am discovering the differences between a "hard limp mode" and a "soft limp mode" symptoms and it appears I will need an ODB2 scanner capable of clearing DRBii Mercedes transmission codes, the one I have will not. Yes, after I get her the TLC she's been missing for years, I'll flip it to cover most of the paint job for the Vega, I'm not in need of any more parts for it.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue May 26, 2020 2:06 pm

~ "You'll Never Learn Any Younger" Just learned of a tool called a short finder..Harbor Freight calls it a Cable Tracker...for finding short circuits...wish me luck!
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:09 pm

~ Short finder only finds breaks in the cable I found...
~ Project delayed - picked up another Crossfire..a roadster..same as SLK 320 Mercedes with the R-170 chassis..needed TLC every maintenance item was neglected and the electronically controlled Shifter had drank a cup of coffee and was in limp mode....EZ fix...back on the Vega now.
~ Broke a pin on the bulkhead harness connector...
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:08 am

~ The "spaded" male pins in the bulkhead connector on the engine side are removeable for replacement by squeezing the sides of the spade with a small needlenose set of pliers.
~ Made a trip out to the overgrown boneyard to possibly get one half of the engine side connector that I was intending to splice in to make up for the bad pin on mine and discovered that///the 77 Monza and 75 and 77 Vegas that I looked at had a different bulkhead connector than the 74 that I am using. I shoulda nabbed the bolt...doooh.
~ Saw at least 2 salvageable hoods..insides were roached but the skins were good.One was a '72 with the double hinged hood hinge. It was 97 degrees out there, saw a huge gopher turtle wandering about.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:20 am

~ Found the short to ground...I think. Observed the "Gauges" fuse holder pin only shorted to ground when the bulkhead connector was in place. Disconnected, the short went away. I broke a pin in the process and a half-melted wire on another pin didn't look good and decided to remove the pins, and refresh their connections....Stole the pins from the leftover Cosw. heater harness out back....sorry.
~ There was a black wire with a pink stripe connected to an added ground at the windshield wiper and washer motor section of the engine bay side harness. Disconnected it and the grounded pin went away with the bulkhead connector in place....left that wire off for now..will revisit it later.
~ Hopefully I will re-connect the dash harness and continue FORWARD for a change. That is on today's menu in 97 degree heat.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:44 pm

~ Connected dash harness and got wipers to work, horn blows, 4-way flashers work, tachometer zero's out when key is turned to the on position....so far so good...no fuses blown....checking more tomorrow.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:18 pm

~ Headlights work-E-fan works, blinkers work, side markers work, ...No tag lights..Only one brake light works...Alt light does not illuminate, E-brake light works.
~ Checking blower, dome light, possibly the radio tomorrow...haven't checked reverse light yet...old resistance wire for coil gets energized with key in run, I think thats a good thing.
~ Perfect time to add footwell lighting or lighted sill plates..
74_Vega_GT

Postby classic_cruiser » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:33 am

Sounds like you are making good, methodical PROGRESS!

I can't recall what a black wire with a pink stripe goes to, I think I've seen that color somewhere before but I'm not sure if that was on an h-body or a j-body...
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:24 pm

~ I am thinking maybe the TCS, remembering that this harness was from an 74GT automatic. That wire is disconnected at the moment unless I see that it is needed.
~ Tag light mystery- 2 schematics show 2 different wirings for the 74 GT. I did disconnect the rear lighting harness from the body harness and polished the connecting tabs and reconnected....no light.
~ I know I have not connected the cig. lighter hot wire behind the dash yet..
~ Saw a helpful post from Bugdewd and Spencer from 2014 in the Electrical subtopic heading....I am going to review them all beginning with the last one not in the archives section.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:33 am

~ Removed partially installed dash, back to the bench to replace headlight switch and clock.
~ Polished harmonica connectors contact tabs with a Dremel and a tiny polishing tip, added bulb grease..got the tag lights working...still no right side brake light and dim front side markers however they brighten up when the emergency flashers are on.
~ Discovering differences in the fan circuitry between the 74 w/AC harness and the 77 Sunbird w/AC circuitry....sound like fun?...NOT! Fan does not energize when key switch is in run position. Moving the fan speed control switch to HI results in clicking noise at the fan relay and no blower activity.
74_Vega_GT

Postby zeke » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:28 am

Sounds like your blower motor is dead. Try a jumper from battery + to the motor term directly. Turn signal switches are cheap, if it still has the original. Bad connection somewhere in the lighting system
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:41 pm

~ Blower tests good.
I dared not reply to these old posts, but found them in the realm of my AC dilemma.
~by marco_1978_spyder » Sun May 06, 2007 8:28 am

On those the orange wire to the passenger side is for the blower motor. Has a rubber connector on the end that plugs into the orange blower motor wire.
~by acstestinc » Sun May 06, 2007 8:34 am
With your car having A/C the non terminated orange wire that comes across the back of the engine from the driver's side is not used. It's for the blower motor on non A/C cars.{(My edit-And 4 cyl cars with AC I bet)} It was cut on the assembly line. A/C cars, again at least 78's, have a seperate wiring harness for the A/C that passes through the firewall on the passenger side. The A/C idle solonoid wire is part of that.
~

boy we need to start a wirring section saves time if all tog

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sun May 06, 2007 12:53 pm
Go to the march 11 th dash question that 78 Spyder asked and check Vegatex' and other members thought's /answers on these mod's you are considering maybe this will help.,,, I also have a few idiot lites on the old gt dash harness,,1# seatbelt light,,,and # 2 light and ignition buzzer,,,(key present in ignition )3#,and what ever if a belt came off the altenator it would light up light???? :idea: :idea: :idea: :arrow: ( boy we need to compile all the wiring questions togeather as a seperate topic ) :arrow: the answers to the past post would be of great benefit :arrow: after general disscusion talk of course.,,, :oops: Mike
74_Vega_GT

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals