zeke's Monza

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: zeke's Monza

Postby zeke » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:46 pm

I'm having a ball
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:07 am

I can make the controller regulate at 180F in the driveway no problem. Driving tho is another story. Fans won't ramp up until car is stopped and temp rises to 210. They kick in then and drag the engine right down to 170 -180. I think the stick on temp sensor is getting too cooled in the air stream. I tried moving it up but did not help. I may try insulating the sensor on the outside and see if that helps next. My conclusion is that this controller would probably work much better if the thermistor was in the coolant rather than on the outside of the rad. That would require removing the rad and welding in an aluminum bung. yay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:40 am

Had trouble getting the fan controller to regulate properly. With my tanks exposed, the sensor was getting too cooled off while driving. I made up an insulated shroud for it and seemed to work much better. Just as I was getting it dialed in, the cold weather got here lol. Sure is better than a relay on / off system, much quieter.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:54 am

If you want to change the speed of a DC motor, you can do it a couple ways. If you lower the voltage from what it was designed for, it will lower the speed but have reduced torque. A better way is with pulse width modulation (PWM).

Instead of feeding the motor a straight DC voltage, PWM sends a series of full voltage pulses. The pulse width is variable from zero to full width, effectively turning the motor on / off several times a second thereby controlling the speed.

For those who don't know, an oscilloscope displays voltage on the Y axis and time on the X axis

Most new cars use PWM fan controllers for efficiency and reduced noise.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:15 pm

Everything under the hood looks new except for these tanks. Need to do something with them
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:02 pm

Car needs a stereo. I had an amp and 6x9's already from years ago, just got to make a cabinet. Bluetooth receiver from Amazon, even has an amp trigger output.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby hammerdown7 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:17 pm

zeke wrote:Everything under the hood looks new except for these tanks. Need to do something with them

What is behind the water tank? Not familiar looking.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby zeke » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:12 pm

That's the alarm siren Dick, they got small eh
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 283vega » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:28 pm

There are several videos online about cleaning over flow tanks. Ive never tried it myself
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby zeke » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:42 pm

Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:12 pm

Wrong brand but matching red :lol:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:53 am

The fan controller worked nicely on this Friday drive, first time I heard the fans was when after I came back into town - car gets up to 185 in slow traffic and fans ramp up, pulls the temp down and gradually ramps down to where you don't hear them at all, hopefully works that good when its 35 c out.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:06 am

woof
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 79MonzaSpyder » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:10 pm

you mak'n a custom box for that? I wonder if it would fit where the factory rear speak goes, not sure what it would sound like in that spot.
The Fleet
2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
79 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Pickup Fully Restored with matching 78 11' Camper
80 Monza 2+2, Cloned into a 79 Monza Spyder V8 4 Speed (Current Project)
80 Monza Spyder V6 Auto (parts car, sadly)
80 Honda CB750K Fully Restored with Custom Full Dress
80 Honda CM400A 10,000 Orig. Miles Full Dress
75 Honda XL250 Fully Restored (first vehicle I ever owned)
73 Honda SL125 off roader
72 Honda Motorsport 250 (XL250) off roader
79MonzaSpyder

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:31 am

Too large for factory speaker location, making a custom box
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals