how do you remove side panels on vega hatchbacks ??

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

how do you remove side panels on vega hatchbacks ??

Postby DEMON Precision » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:55 am

i want to remove the rear side panels on my vega hatchback , i know there is a few screws to remove and i know there are plastic sprial retainiers as well , is there a tool one can buy to help with the removal ??

thanx

mikey
DEMON Precision

Get the tool at a Harbor Freight

Postby vega_man_larry » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:29 am

Get the tool at a Harbor Freight. The tool is basically a sheetmetal bend up with a "V" on the end. You slide the tool under the panel placing the panel retainer in the notch of the "V" and pry up. The tool supports the panel while you pry to prevent damage to the panel or the retainer. I use it to remove door panels on all my cars.

Larry
vega_man_larry

Postby DEMON Precision » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:55 pm

thanx larry

i just remembered a buddy who has all those kinds of bodyman/trim removal tools , i,m gonna go visist him and see if he has a old tool i can borrow for an hour .

thanx again

mikey
DEMON Precision

Postby Monza Madness » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:11 pm

You have to work from back to front, because the panels are hooked on the door opening pinch weld. Also remove the door sill plates they are mounted on top of the front leading edge of the panel, the seat belt retractor cover on the roof has to come off, also the rear seat has to come out. Once the panel is loose from the plastic push rivets slide them forward to unhook them from the door opening pinchweld.
Roger
79 IMSA TPI 350 A/C 700R4
79 Spyder 305 A/C 200r4
Monza Madness

1979 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Return to Restoration Tips