Ignition Switch

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

Ignition Switch

Postby Tod » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:31 pm

Hi, I have a 74 vega. The keys have long since disappeared.. I want to take the ignition switch out of the column to get it re-keyed. I got the steering wheel off, turn signal out, but cant seem to figure out how to get the tumbler out.

This is what it looks like:

Any help would be great! Thanks
Tod

Postby cos2482 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:01 pm

Tod,
I realize you do not have a key, but these are the instructions from a 74 Vega service manual.

Lock Cylinder
The lock cylinder is located on the upper right hand side of the column. The lock cylinder should be removed in the "Run" position only. Removal in any other position will damage the buzzer switch. The lock cylinder cannot be disassembled. If replacement is required, a new cylinder, coded to the old key must be installed.

Removal
1. Remove the steering wheel and directional switch.
2. Do not remove the buzzer switch or damage to the lock cylinder will result.
3. Insert a small screw driver or similar tool into the turn signal housing slot. Keeping the tool to the right side of the slot, break the housing flash loose and at the same time depressing the spring latch at the lower end of the lock cylinder. With the latch depressed, the lock cylinder can be removed from the housing.

Jim
Jim
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2007 ... ves-vegas/

1973 Vega GT Hatchback (Millionth Vega)
1975 Vega GT Kammback (Nomad modification)
1976 Vega GT Hatchback (stock)
1976 Vega Cosworth (white/white, stock)
1977 Vega Estate (stock)
1977 Vega Hatchback (stock, bought new)
2011 Ford Ranger XLT (2,3 twincam 5spd std)
2000 Ford ranger XLT (2,5L 5spd std)
2003 Chevrolet Tracker (LT)
2015 Chevrolet Trax LTZ AWD
cos2482

Postby Tod » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:16 pm

Thanks Jim

Without a key, this is pretty much all moot I guess. Am I reading this correctly when it says the tumbler cannot be disassembled? That might imply that it could not be keyed...

Also, any clue what "Break the housing flash" means?

Thanks
Tod

Postby heinz057 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:59 pm

can't you take one of the door cylinders to be rekeyed and use it for the ignition.
heinz057

1978 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby straws » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:44 pm

On a typical GM column you need a lock plate remover. It looks like a U-shaope with a threaded part in the middle. What it does is screw onto the steering wheel nut, and them you use the large nut in the center to press down the lock plate, which is the picture you are showing. Once you push down the lock plate, there is a "c" clip on the steering shaft itself. Remove everything in order. The lock cylinder will be revealed. Usuually you need the key, but that is over rated. Once the lock plate is removed, you can see the ignition cyliner. You need to give up all hope of re-keying it. You should see a small detent to depress to pull the lock cylinder out.

If you do not have a lock plate remover, give up now. Get one, then start over. OTC, and probably autozone sells them for $10. Once it is removed, (if you have come this far, a little farther is within your limits). You really should be able to figure it out. When installing a new cyinder, it is nearly impossible to screw up!

Good luck!
straws

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby jon72vega » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:18 am

straws wrote:On a typical GM column you need a lock plate remover. It looks like a U-shaope with a threaded part in the middle. What it does is screw onto the steering wheel nut, and them you use the large nut in the center to press down the lock plate, which is the picture you are showing. Once you push down the lock plate, there is a "c" clip on the steering shaft itself. Remove everything in order. The lock cylinder will be revealed. Usuually you need the key, but that is over rated. Once the lock plate is removed, you can see the ignition cyliner. You need to give up all hope of re-keying it. You should see a small detent to depress to pull the lock cylinder out.

If you do not have a lock plate remover, give up now. Get one, then start over. OTC, and probably autozone sells them for $10. Once it is removed, (if you have come this far, a little farther is within your limits). You really should be able to figure it out. When installing a new cyinder, it is nearly impossible to screw up!

Good luck!

Straws,
Judging by his picture he already has gotten past the lock plate remover part of this.
jon72vega

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby cosvega76 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:37 am

Tod,

Look at the upper right-hand bolt hole. Just below and to the left is a rectangular depression. The lowest and narrowest is the casting flash that needs to be broken. Place the blade of a screwdriver in the narrow depression and hit it with a hammer. This should break the flashing and reveal the tab on the lock cylinder underneath.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby markl » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:28 am

I dont know how much it is to have it rekeyed but I just bought a new ignition switch with 2 new gm keys for $20 at the local auto parts store.
markl

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby Elfmagic » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:29 pm

Im sorry to break the news to you but you will have to break the heck out of the old lock cylinder to get it out. You must have it in run to release the tab and with out a key its impossible. I just went through this on my 74 GMC it got stuck in crank, thought id never get the cylinder out. i had to look at the new cylinder to see how to dissmantle (break,drill) it to get the old on out. its a lot easier to just get another column but it can be done. Hope this helps.
Kenny
1979 Monza coupe 357CI V8 light port work homebuilt headers edlebrock performer with holley 750 vac sec Blueracer .488 in .510 ex lift cam, 4 speed, stock 2.73 rear with '82-90 F-body limited slip diff. Smoke in three gears!!! Too Much Fun!
Elfmagic

1979 Chevrolet Monza

Postby peterpan » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:49 pm

i didn't have time to read the whole thread but look at this pic and take a screw driver to the rectangle hole that is circled in white knock the flash out of it then you will see the locking tab push the tab in then pull the cylinder out i have done it with out a key if it is hard hit your screw driver with a hammer to force the tab down then you can buy a new cylinder cheap at most parts stores that will fit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby MadDog77vega » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:45 am

thnx guys
i spent the better part of an hour trying to figure how to get that
out, only took a few minutes after i searched for this post.
"Ron B.

77 Vega:
355 SBC
turbo 400
10 bolt 4.10 posi S-10 axles
Complete 5-Lug conversion

Beware the BOWTIE
MadDog77vega

1977 Chevrolet Vega

Return to Restoration Tips