Factory type Motor Mounts

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Factory type Motor Mounts

Postby eskmf5 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:58 pm

Hey Guy's, This is Eric again , and I've been watching you guy's go over the motor mount problem's just like we all have done. Im' a welder and fabricator by trade. I know that I can build a factory type motor mount that we can use. I want to use the 60's truck mount just like everyone else. So , all I will be fabricating actually are the feet to mount to . And they are so simple . I have a shop full of metal of all types, welders , metal brakes , shear , Iron worker to punch all size holes. I've been thinking this over for months. I just need a guinea pig that is ready to drop his smallblock in to give it a try. I'd let the first set go at cost. And I could make all the sets we need. What do you guy's think?? Eric(spider clone)
Eric!(eskmf5@aol)
eskmf5

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Kev442 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:10 pm

I think you should go for it!

I personally think that if a reasonably priced, consistently available source of these arrived, the Hbody crowd would grow by leaps and bounds. But, you would need to create V-8 frame plates to go with them eventually, motor mounts for a conversion without plates is slowing things up too.
1978 Olds Firenza x2!
Kev442

1978 Oldsmobile Starfire Firenza

RE:mounts

Postby Bonzai » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:42 pm

That is a good idea, just watch how you market them, if they ressemble Bob Gumms mounts to much, he can easilly sue you for an infringement of his patent, fly below the radar in you've got no problems.
Bonzai

Postby eskmf5 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:37 pm

Thank's guy's , something just tells me to do it . I know that I can help out some friends , that can't afford the other options . I have an idea of what I want a set , and it isn't that much at all. How much do you think they are worth?? and I thought that Bob's Patent was still pending? But I have already thought about that , I don't want to bump heads with him ,that's for sure . I think that what he does for the H-body is cool!!
Eric!(eskmf5@aol)
eskmf5

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby AusRs » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:58 am

interestingly enough
someone is making them in Australia ...weird isnt it
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CHEV-MONZA-V-8_W ... dZViewItem
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby eskmf5 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:27 am

Cool Steve , thanks for pointing that out! It looks like they are pouring in new rubber in the mount . If the picture is the finished product. But I know that they could be built and sold for half of what their starting bid is. But I'm still glad you guys over there have your own option of new mounts. Eric (spider Clone) P.S. good luck with your Monza rebuild .
Eric!(eskmf5@aol)
eskmf5

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:00 am

Engine mounts can be revulcanized like the ebay ones. If done correctly they should be good as new. Any way to get new mounts should be viewed as positive, so I agree, go for it!
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby peterpan » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:42 am

the 60s truck mount have a problem of ripping in half i own 5 60 to 66 trucks and every one has a torn mount right now

i would use the early camaro mounts you can get polyurathane ones with a safety lock to keep them from coming apart and it wouldn't even be close to bobs mounts

i have been working on a design in my head for them to replace the ones on my buddies wagon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby starfire383 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:38 pm

The 60s truck mounts are only a problem if you've got ancient originals, or are replacing them with cheapies. I've had all kinds of problems with $11.99 engine mounts. Seems until you spend $25 they have lower quality rubber and no interlock
starfire383

Postby vegafrog » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:52 pm

Put me down as a Guinea pig mine are shot! and I'm gonna be pulling my engine soon. What do you need from me ?
Mark...
vegafrog

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby geartwister39 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:02 pm

mark ..whats up dude? how did you get to north ga ? i thought you were from tenn?i still have some nice pics of your ride from the ga gathering at stone mountain park. sorry for the high jack .... :oops:
larry s
78 monza wagon 355/th350
geartwister39

1978 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby vegafrog » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:13 pm

Well its always been North Ga. but I'm just 5 min. from Chattanooga so its easier for folks to relate to Chattanooga. So where you located now? :lol:
vegafrog

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby AusRs » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:51 am

eskmf5 wrote:Cool Steve , thanks for pointing that out! It looks like they are pouring in new rubber in the mount . If the picture is the finished product. But I know that they could be built and sold for half of what their starting bid is. But I'm still glad you guys over there have your own option of new mounts. Eric (spider Clone) P.S. good luck with your Monza rebuild .

i have the truck mounts here and will modify my stock mounts to suit
as per these instructions
just wish it was a little more specific on where to drill the hole !!!
http://norra37.com/photos/monza/renover ... mounts.htm
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Flyingbowtie » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:23 am

Last edited by Flyingbowtie on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingbowtie

1979 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby eskmf5 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:34 pm

Hey Guys, I know that I should've already gotten back to you. But I just wanted to let you know that it is a go on the mounts . I know that we've all seen some guy's claim that they would be doing this , or that and never come through. But with me this just isn't the case!! So , '' VegaFrog" and "FlyingBowtie'' I've just about finished the first set , that I feel is good enough to have you use. What I need to do is work on an area that I'm not to pleased with. And I will for sure be finished by the end of this weekend with at least 3 or 4 sets. When you do something like this you must be able to fab it up in a way that is useble and strong. So by the end of the weekend I will have everything set up to make 3 or 4 sets an evening after my regular workday is over . I'll get in touch with you as soon as I'm done . Eric (monza clone)
Eric!(eskmf5@aol)
eskmf5

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Next

Return to General Discussion