H-Body Heater Core / Evap Replacement

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

H-Body Heater Core / Evap Replacement

Postby zeke » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:48 am

Well I was getting cold and the windshield frosty so I decided to tackle the heater core replacement on my 79 Monza. The job description in the library here is pretty accurate.

Took about 4 hours to get it out and I decided it would be prudent to replace the evaporator coil while im in there as I want the A/C to work good. The new refrigerant R134a works at a higher pressure and I dont want to take any chances with the 28 year old used one.

My problem is that the coil has been discontinued. Does anyone know where I can source one?

I can get another coil that is close and have the tubes welded on from the old one but that sucks and is more expensive I'm sure.

I checked all the vacuum actuators with a hand pump and they work good so that saves some cash.

The accumulator is available in a universal style that is real close so I grabbed one of those.

Have'nt checked on the condensor availability yet.

There must be some of these evap coils sitting around somewhere?
Last edited by zeke on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby MIKESMONZA » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:35 pm

ZEKE; ON MY 75 MONZA 2+2 :arrow: I AM ALSO IN THE PROCESS OF GATHERING PART'S HEATER CORE AND EVAPORATOR,, MY EVAP HAS A BENT LINE THAT CONNECTION (SMALL OUT SIDE THE FIREWALL) DRYER+ LINE'S AND MAY BE CLYDE WILL COME IN AND CHECK FOR US THEN THERE ARE ALTERNITIVE'S, VINTAGE AIR (A CUSTOM SET UP FOR ALL APPLICATION'S) MIGHT BE HELP FULL THEN I HAVE JUST TOUCHED THE ICE BERG, :arrow: I WILL WATCH AND SEE WHAT DEVELOPE'S,, MIKE :arrow: PS IS THERE ANY WAY TO TELL FACTORY A/C FROM DEALER INSTALL KIT'S ON DIFERENT YEAR'S MY MIRAGE HAS A DEALER OR MAYBE AFTERMARKET INSTALLED IN IT?????
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:46 pm

Heater core part number with A/C = SPI 94550 (Spectra Premium Industries)

Accumulator # Fou 33176 (Four Seasons) Universal unit

I'll list the rest of the part numbers when I get them, in here.

I can get a Ford evap coil that is really close but would have to have the suction and liquid lines changed over. I'm gonna pressure test the orig evap and see if it holds before I do that tho I think now.

Man, my garage and Monza are looking pretty sad right now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by zeke on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:52 pm

More pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by zeke on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

H-BODY A/C HTR CORE R /R

Postby MIKESMONZA » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:18 pm

ZEKE; :arrow: THAT'S SIMILAR TO THE 75 MONZA FACTORY AIR.,,, I GUESS THE HEATER CORE IS THE SAME IN THE YEAR'S 75 TO 80 I DID NOT RECEIVE ALL THE PICTURE'S FROM THE SIGHT BUT THAT HAPPEN'S ALOT.... :idea: HOW MUCH INSULATION ON THE FRONT FLOORBOARD AREA WAS STILL USEABLE,AND :?: WAS THERE A GASKET :arrow: AND MY SMALLER LINE FROM THE EVAP IS BENT DOWN AT THE END THAT STICK'S OUT OF THE FIREWALL IT HAS A SQUARE BLOCK ON THE END OF THE LINE NEAR THE THREADED END.,,, THANK'S MIKE
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: H-BODY A/C HTR CORE R /R

Postby zeke » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:31 pm

MIKESMONZA wrote:I DID NOT RECEIVE ALL THE PICTURE'S FROM THE SIGHT BUT THAT HAPPEN'S ALOT....

I f your on dial up Mike, u may need to hit refresh a couple times b4 your browser grabs all the pics.

The firewall insulation is cut around the air box by the factory and they just use small bits of foam around the studs. The evap has a rubber gasket as well as the htr core connections. I'll post a pic of them.

Looks like the orifice tube is crimped in by the manufaturer on the evap so u cant pull it out to clean / inspect. :twisted: I figured out how to pressurize it and will leak test it tomorrow at 120PSI.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:48 pm

More pics
Last edited by zeke on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby vegatex » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:27 pm

Zeke,

Thanks for posting those pictures. Since my Vega set-up is basically a slightly modified Monza set-up, it was a good reminder of how everything fits together and what all I have to pull apart to get to my heater core if the stop leak doesn't hold. I'm saving them for reference. God, I hope I don't have to change the heater core!!!

Best,
Dave
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

Postby MIKESMONZA » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:21 pm

ZEKE; :arrow: DID YOU EVER TRY TESTING WITH VACUMN?,,JUST ADD A SCRADER VALVE,,,BUT THEN AGAIN :arrow: YOUR SET UP IS GREAT FOR OUT OF THE CAR TEST'S :arrow: IF YOU PUT A LITTLE SOAPPY WATER LOOK FOR A GEYSER OF BUBBLE'S,,,OR (DYE IN IT WOULD SHOW ANY PIN HOLE'S WITH BLACK LIGHT),,, ALSO WITH THE PSI TEST'S :!: NOW IF VEGATEX CAN MAKE IT TILL SPRING. THIS HAS BEEN A INTERESTING POST. MIKE
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:17 pm

MIKE; I pressurized the coil to 120 psi but it wouldnt hold with the 5/8 rubber heater hose i used to connect the pipe fittings to the evap fitting. Slowly leaks by the threads and tube nut. Held enough air in tho for me to submerce it in the kitchen sink.

Finally got the oriface tube out. The crimps on the liquid line input tube are just for the oriface tube to bottom out on. I ran some wd40 in there and let it sit for a while. Clamped a pair of mini needle nose vise grips on it and worked it until it would turn and eventually pull out.

Oriface tube with outside on the right:

I'm told I should replace the oriface tube so I will try to source one next week.

No leaks in the evap so I ran some thinners thru it to clean it out and it's going back in!

OK, gotta go clean the sink b4 the wife gets home. :lol:
Last edited by zeke on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby vegatex » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:38 pm

At least my heater core doosn't have to hold much pressure. It will be interesting when I try to pressurize the A/C!

Dave
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

h-body A/C evaporator/ heater core

Postby MIKESMONZA » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:11 pm

Zeke; how's the A/C prodject,,, :arrow: any update's.,,,, And can any body tell me of a replacement for the :arrow: 75 monza/ vega or modification's of evaporator core,,, :idea: done with other G.M.parts, and could we save this to favorites / best of as this is a realy a good post,,, that I thought had a value,,to the member's and thank's. Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:46 pm

Hey Mike, I finally found out that v8's had axial style and v6's had radial style compressors. I have a brand new radial unit around off a 91 imapla im going to make brackets up for soon if the freon connector is the same. There was one ford evap coil that was close to the monza dimensions but would require having the fittings changed.

Sure is nice to have heat now! :D
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby AusRs » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:03 am

personally i think i am lucky not to have a/c in my car
nice and simple :)
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby EagleFish » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:19 pm

Hey, Steve, it just depends where you live. Can't function w/o a/c in Florida!

John (John and Richard)
EagleFish

1978 Buick Skyhawk

Next

Return to General Discussion