mini starter recommendations..

Moderator: Moderators

Postby joe350gt » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:19 am

Hi all,

I'm switching from the Sanderson's on my '72 to the Hooker 2129's. During the swap I'm going to put in a mini starter. Who can give me some ideas as to the good/bad ones out there to get/stay away from? My Sanderson coated CC13's will be for sale after this is done if anyone is in the market for a set of those also. Anyone with the 2129's, will I need a shortie style spin on oil filter or will I need to go with a remote setup?

Thanks in advance,

Joe
joe350gt

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby MB77Monza » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:25 am

Joe on my monza I can get away with a normal size filter if I want to go through the hassle of undoing the clutch cable otherwise go with the shorty. I do have a remote single filter relocation kit ( handled but never installed) if you or anybody else are interested.

Michael
MB77Monza

Postby myvega » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:10 pm

You can get by with a shorty. I'm a big fan of the WIX racing filters. They have no internal by-pass so 100% of the oil is filtered all the time. As far as starters go, it's a matter of what you want to spend. IMHO, the new MSD mini is on the top of the list, with the Tilton following right behind. The MSD is powder coated red too, so it would match your car.
Jim Sheaffer
myvega

1974 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:21 pm

Joe, I bought a mini starter on ebay that I have been very happy with. I like the style that mimicks the GM one that supports the gear on the outboard end. Some just have a gear sticking out from the body of the starter with no additional support. They may be fine, but it just seems to me that having support on the end of the gear is better. Here's a llink to a similiar one I am using. It is very important to make sure you proeperly shim it while installing it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-GMC-M ... enameZWDVW
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Sirshredalot » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:24 pm

There are lots of mini starter options...and because they are gear reduction ...they are high torque.
I am using a starter off of a late model chevy pickup. I think the number is somthing like a 9996...I'll make certain later...Im on my lunch break.

But its relatively cheap(120 compared to 212) and will havea lifetime warranty....got mine from advance when I worked there...Zone carries them too....I'll find you a number after work.
Theyll also take your old 3152 series starter as a core....they did for me anyways.

Plus it only weighs like 4lbs....awesome...and gives you more clearance than an actual "mini" starter will.
I have a 50 amp maxi fuse in line with the starter for the power supply to my wiring harness and it doesnt blow...so the starter doesnt draw more than 50 amps when starting either....sweet.

Hands down thats the best option.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Bacchus » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:24 pm

I did the same as Clyde. The one I bought was from these guys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Chev ... dZViewItem

The first one I bought a few years ago didn't line up well. This one is perfect. I'm running 11:1 and this starter has no issues.
1974 Vega Wagon
2007 Jeep GC LTD HEMI
2002 BMW 330XI
Bacchus

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby Sirshredalot » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:37 pm

Do you already have the 2129's or are you contemplating?
Id be interested in the sandersons...cause I have the 2129's and dont have enough cubes or RPM's to support them....yet.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

Postby joe350gt » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:39 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies!! I remembered the thread from before about this but couldn't find it with the search. The one Clyde and Brian mention sounds like a high quality piece but I'm sure the other ones would do me ok as well. Shred, I have the 2129's sitting in the box, got 'em yesterday. The motor mounts are supposed to be here today. Once I get the starter and have the Hooker's in place I'll let you know about the Sanderson's.

Thanks again guys,

Joe
joe350gt

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Sirshredalot » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:47 pm

The starter options from your local parts house are gonna be as follows.

Straight bolt pattern
- 9942......$150......very very light...smallest of all starters

Offset pattern
- 9997s.....$129.....best and lightest of all the offset pattern starters
- 9914s.....$153
- 9990s.....$142

They all are very good straters and are smaller than most aftermarket hi torque starters and still are a torque reduction planetary gear starter.
I believe they all have at least 180lb ft of torque....up to 225 lb ft.

I am using the 9942 and the 9990....they both crank very quickly.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

Postby jon72vega » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:43 pm

I recently bought & installed the exact starter from the same seller that Brian has a link to.
It works very well! I should have put one of these on years ago!
Also there is a 12 lb. weight difference between my old one & the new one.

I did not have to use the supplied shim on mine.
I checked the clearance between the ring gear & the starter gear with a .035 diameter paper clip, & the clearance on mine was right on.

The only thing I had an issue with was the excessive clearance between the diameter of the supplied mounting bolts vs. the diameter of the mounting holes in the starter nose itself. (about .015)
I reduced it to .005 clearance with some .005 stainless shim stock wound completely around the bolts that was the same length as what the bolt goes thru the starter nose. (I hope that made sense).

Also, remember to torque the mounting bolts to the specified torque. I used a dab of blue Loctite (242) to keep them from backing out over time.
jon72vega

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby peterpan » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:06 pm

i have the same starter as clyde and i bought from ebay allso
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Starters and oil relocation

Postby vega_man_larry » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:12 pm

I use Corvette pieces to solve both problems. for the oil filter I use the LT1/LT4 Corvette offset filter adapter, It moves the filter in towards the pan giving you better headder clearance. It uses the PF52 filter. They show up on ebay from time to time. the part numbers can be found in the FAQ section under oil filter relocation. For a starter I use the LT4 unit. It is lightweight, has high torque and is rebuildable.

Larry
vega_man_larry

Mini Starter

Postby dragmonza » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:10 pm

I have been using a Powermaster mini sterter in my drag car for years & I've never had an issue with it. The price is reasonable and I have run it withiout a heat sheild to boot!
Only 10.90 Seconds?
dragmonza

1979 Chevrolet Monza Sport Hatchback

Return to Electrical and Wiring