OUTSIDE ANTENAE FOR RADIO

Moderator: Moderators

OUTSIDE ANTENAE FOR RADIO

Postby MIKESMONZA » Thu May 31, 2007 8:32 pm

On my 77 Mirage I have a outside flexable short antenae with a load coil in it. I measured the hole location and went over to the 75 Monza 2+2 hatchback and laid out some masking tape where the hole is to be drilled and laid me a center line 2'' inche's from the fender and about 2 and 1/8th inch back from the fender end. using 2 small magnet's near the hole 180 degrees from each other.,,, I then used a center punch,,drilled a small pilot hole and then a 1 inch hole saw and went thru the top painted surface. only to find there is a "second" piece of metal down about 3/4 of a inch I had to drill it out before the new antenae coud be mounted. :arrow: Is this normal for the installation????or is the hole to far back compaired to other's that have a similar type mounting.???? the hole is done and the antenae is installed,,I was curious if any one has run into this before.,,,,,Mike 8) 8)
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby SunbirdMan » Thu May 31, 2007 9:07 pm

My 78 sunbird owners manual says that the antenna is in the glass from the factory, then goes on to say that if your am radio reception is too crappy in rural areas to get a extendable outside antenna. "Consult your Pontiac dealer". My 78 sunbird came with radio delete so there's no antenna in the glass. But there is one on the passenger fender. I don't know who installed it, but it has a real clean hole like a punch was used to shear it. Its about a foot forward of the rear edge of the fender.
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby OldsStarfire » Thu May 31, 2007 9:26 pm

My Starfire has a fender mounted antenna and I hate it, I gues the previous owner could not find the right windshield. Can't do anything about it now. Jeff
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby doogiediamond » Thu May 31, 2007 10:09 pm

I just replaced my windshield in my vega wagon (no antenna) and am planning on mounting a surface mount antenna under my cowl section or somewhere on the front of my car other than on a fender.
I was told by a hotrod shop that those hidden antennas such as in a head liner get crappy reception and it would be better to stick with a standard antenna longer than 24".
Doug
doogiediamond@hotmail.com
74 Vega wagon
doogiediamond

Postby AusRs » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:31 am

the antenna is something i have been thinking about
what about one of the late model euro cars that have the antenna on the roof at the back ??
think it would possibly suit a Monza

if you have drilled through the inner fender i would suggest a grommet to fill the hole ......dont want water getting in :(
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Great feedback and opions welcome and a "new discovery&

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:35 pm

:arrow: Thanks for the feed back on this subject,as now I am sure about one thing it matches the hole on the other car.,,, But here is another question :arrow: my son in law reached thru the cowl hole ventaltion in the right hand side kick panel body hole to pull the antenae down in to the car interior temporarlaly to see if this was the way to run the antenae lead and what was funny to me was he stuck his fingers thru the side of the fender under the hood next to the blower motor.,,,,, a new discovery a light bulb went off and I thought if his hand was showng then may be a cover of metal and/or insulation stuffed into the between the inner body panel and the outer fender "void" near where his fingers exited,, would effect the air flow from the under hood heat into the interior comparment :arrow: and thanks to AUS I will rethink the hole in the inner fender panel and see if there is another way to route the hole for the cable lead ???Anybody else got any ideals :idea: I know that when you run an antenae in to almost any wall you need a low kink in the lead blow the botom of the hole to make rainwater or other H20 drip below and not into the interior.,,,,, thank you for yours and everybody's opion. Mike 8) 8)
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:29 am

SunBirdMan; got a picture and a routing diagram to the interior??? And has any body got a ''dealer install instruction'' for a accesory outside antenae's or any other observation of this set up I also was looking at a colapsable windshield post mount that has two version's one style the colapsing tube that sit's on isolator's out side the lenght of the windshield post the second design is a hides in the post internal slide one peaice the mast disapears into the post when not in use,Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby SunbirdMan » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:52 pm

this is all I got handy. maybe next week I can get some better shots. My plan is to go with a used gm power antenna probably in the same spot. haven't really thought about whats under there but I got a 77 parked behind it and I've removed the fender so when I get a chance I'll get a pic of the naked inner fender too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby AusRs » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:59 am

looking at my inner fenders ,personally to fit an antenna on the fender it will have to go to far forward ..may not look to good(suppose thats why GM put in in the screen )
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

no worries now the hole is covered by the cowl seal

Postby MIKESMONZA » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:34 pm

:arrow: I just went and looked at the place my son in law stuck his finger's thru the side of the fender and under the hood and realized something, not to be upset about the heat getting in :arrow: the cowl seal blocks the hole where the hood hinge sit's in cowl area away from the hot under hood air,,, :arrow: that I was "worried' about since the fender has very few large hole's in the engine compartment.,,, it is just the air from the cowl grill that make's it down into the interior kick panels. and thank's for the picture. I have seen this in the past and thought it was done for a reason clearance to miss something like the cowl or inner fender panel /body reinforcement. Get some more picture's later when you get time. Mike 8) 8)
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby pro street Monza » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Years ago a friend and I built a '48 Ford Anglia complete with a AM/FM radio. We used an antenae tape. it stuck across the windsheild with a coax that went to the radio. It worked very well and was almost invisible. As I recall, we bought it at a stereo shop.

Just something to file in your memory bank. :)
pro street Monza

Outside Antenae Install Finaly "got it right'

Postby MIKESMONZA » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:09 pm

Today I pulled the antenae back out to take care of rain water and other H/2O problems that can happen with the lower second hole :arrow: The hole would not take a single one inch gromett but I did manage to find to find one at the auto parts store using a pvc valvecover from a assorted pack. I was frustrated with the hole's multi layer of under the fenders metal layer's at various angle's :arrow: so I took a large tapered punch/ chisel and slightly :arrow: tapped the lower levels down a half to three quarters of an inch :arrow: so I could get the antenae to tilt slightly back instead of out board because of lower clearance issue's. (the way it worked the first time it leaned out over the fender). :arrow: with a gap in the slot that let's it tilt.,,,, That done I used a old clean washer made of neopreme rubber that you throw away when you change the cap in a Hei distrbutor and install a new one and your old coil.,,I slipped it on the lead wire (coaxia)l to the radio set it down in to the fender to sit on the hole in the second panel under the original hole on top,,set the hold down hardware onto the shaft and tightened it to show some angle tilting back towards the windshield/screen it works,, and is sealed so nothing to worry about .Mike 8) 8)
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Electrical and Wiring