My torque arm

Moderator: Moderators

My torque arm

Postby 10secvega » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:36 pm

Here is pics of my freshly made torque arm.I'll try to explain as best i can.
I put a 200-4r in the car over winter,to make that fit i took a Hooker style crossmember and lengthened it,2 pieces of 1 1/2 and and a piece if 1 1/2 square tubing.
I run a chrsler 8 3/4 rear,in wich i welded tabs to the top and bottom of the housing.
I then built my torque arm out of 1 1/4 mild steel tubing with 3 3/4 inch heim joints and an ladder link.To be able to set pinion angle.
The front bracket will weld to the tranny crossmember.
I'll add more pics when it's in the car tuesday.

Image

Image

[/img]http://www.knights-rule.com/cgi/gallery/d/5347-2/100_0711.jpg
Just a gold Vega with a little V-6

Image
10secvega
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:55 pm


Postby stage169 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:15 am

Kevin your ta looks good! This point has come up several times so don't take me wrong. Its my understanding that the ta will move forward and back some during the rear suspension travel. The stock bushing allows this and many after market arms do also. Your front mount point looks to me like its going to be very solid and I just thought if you weren't aware of the ta going forward and back that you might before you install it. Brian
Attachments
SP402.jpg
SP402.jpg (15.09 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
2200.jpg
2200.jpg (11.7 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
User avatar
stage169
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:43 pm

Postby NixVegaGT » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:49 am

I like the idea of going with the 8 3/4. Have you got any pix of the install? What kind of little v6 are we talking about here LOL.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
User avatar
NixVegaGT
 
Posts: 2196
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:24 am
Location: Minnesota

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 10secvega » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:50 pm

Darn picture didn't show up for the front mount let me try to repost it,it's solid but has a slot just like the factory one.
P.S.It's got a Turbo Buick V-6

Image
Just a gold Vega with a little V-6

Image
10secvega
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:55 pm

Postby stage169 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:07 pm

But it doesn't have a bushing like the stock one. I'm guessing you are not going to leave the bolt loose at the front mount? I like Aleck's explanation.

Remember the lower arms are short and the torque arm is long. Two diferent arcs. The front of the torque arm has to float forward and back to prevent binding.
Aleck
User avatar
stage169
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:43 pm

Postby 10secvega » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:53 pm

stage169 wrote:But it doesn't have a bushing like the stock one. I'm guessing you are not going to leave the bolt loose at the front mount? I like Aleck's explanation.

Remember the lower arms are short and the torque arm is long. Two diferent arcs. The front of the torque arm has to float forward and back to prevent binding.
Aleck

Yes you leave that bolt loose.Just use a lock nut.This setup was in my car already but with the stock metal mount bolted to my trans.
it works very well,1.51 60 foot and tons of street miles with out any problems.
This is a picture of how it was with the TH350
Image

Image
Just a gold Vega with a little V-6

Image
10secvega
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:55 pm

Postby stage169 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:15 pm

I'm slow but trainable :D I wondered but went the other direction thinking the slot was there so when you had the car sitting at ride height you tightened it up where it was. Sorry for the waste of time. I'm looking forward to more pictures of your car. Brian
User avatar
stage169
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:43 pm

Postby 10secvega » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:18 pm

stage169 wrote:I'm slow but trainable :D I wondered but went the other direction thinking the slot was there so when you had the car sitting at ride height you tightened it up where it was. Sorry for the waste of time. I'm looking forward to more pictures of your car. Brian

Not a problem!!I have a hard time putiing my thoughts into words to describe something.Good thing i take lots of pictures.
Just a gold Vega with a little V-6

Image
10secvega
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:55 pm

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:02 pm

You are all absolutely correct about the swing arm lengths. Something has to give a little. I installed a poly mount in the front of my arm but I am still using rubber mounts in the rear control arms, so they can give a little. If everything was solid it would be more of a problem. Mine has been like this for years, no problems or noise.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
User avatar
cjbiagi
 
Posts: 8428
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:37 pm
Location: Glenwood, Illinois

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby NixVegaGT » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:09 pm

That 8 3/4 looks cool under there. Is it heavy? It's got to be lighter than the 9" Ford... I kept the old fashioned rubber mount on my torque arm... Thanks for the post, Kevin.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
User avatar
NixVegaGT
 
Posts: 2196
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:24 am
Location: Minnesota

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 10secvega » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:45 pm

cjbiagi wrote:You are all absolutely correct about the swing arm lengths. Something has to give a little. I installed a poly mount in the front of my arm but I am still using rubber mounts in the rear control arms, so they can give a little. If everything was solid it would be more of a problem. Mine has been like this for years, no problems or noise.

I have polyurathane(SP?) bushings in my lower control arms also,plus they are boxed.
Just a gold Vega with a little V-6

Image
10secvega
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:55 pm

Postby 10secvega » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:46 pm

NixVegaGT wrote:That 8 3/4 looks cool under there. Is it heavy? It's got to be lighter than the 9" Ford... I kept the old fashioned rubber mount on my torque arm... Thanks for the post, Kevin.


I'm not really sure how heavy it is?But it's a stock width out of an "A" body.
Just a gold Vega with a little V-6

Image
10secvega
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:55 pm

Postby NixVegaGT » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:06 am

¿¿ OK that seems like it would have been really wide. right?? I can do the research myself too. I know you are trying to get specific info in this post. Just interested.
THanks man
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
User avatar
NixVegaGT
 
Posts: 2196
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:24 am
Location: Minnesota

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby NixVegaGT » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:19 am

OK with a little quick research I found that the 8 3/4 is about 52 1/2" wide. I guess that's only ≈ 2 3/4" too wide about 1 1/4" per side. I suppose you could take up with rim backspacing... Is that how you did it?

COOL.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
User avatar
NixVegaGT
 
Posts: 2196
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:24 am
Location: Minnesota

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 10secvega » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:23 pm

NixVegaGT wrote:OK with a little quick research I found that the 8 3/4 is about 52 1/2" wide. I guess that's only ≈ 2 3/4" too wide about 1 1/4" per side. I suppose you could take up with rim backspacing... Is that how you did it?

COOL.

I'll measure the housing for you,i run a 15x8 wheel with 5.5 in back spacing.
Just a gold Vega with a little V-6

Image
10secvega
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:55 pm

Next

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

     
cron