dirtmod's control arm mod for S-10 ball joints

Best technical articles on the forums. Send nominations to the admins. You can reply to topics but only admins can make new ones.

Moderator: Moderators

dirtmod's control arm mod for S-10 ball joints

Postby Vega75randy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:19 pm

I've been looking for the post and pictures from the other site about welding the S-10 lower ball joint sleeve from a stock S-10 A arm onto the Monza/Vega LCA. Could someone send me a link to this or did it get lost like so many others?

Randy S. Hager
Venus, TX
Vega75randy

Postby ColinOpseth » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:42 am

If you're referring to posts at V8Monza it's probably lost. Nothing that was posted at GMPerformance.org's temporary server has been lost.

Later,
Colin
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby AusRs » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:58 am

i remember reading that
interesting reading ,shame it got "lost"
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby monzamess » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:20 am

Bob has a write-up on his main site (not EZBoard) here:

http://www.v8monza.com/faq-fsus-S10_front-walk-thru.htm
Dennis
1980 Monza Coupe--collector of cob webs and kids' toys
2006 Honda Odyssey--daily driver
2011 Toyota Sienna--wife's
1995 Dodge Ram--for creating oil spots on the street
monzamess

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby AusRs » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:36 am

no thats not the one
a guy actually cut out a section of another a arm and transplanted it into a h body a arm ...VERY interesting way to do the 5 lug ......NO adapters were needed
wish that guy would re post it here !
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Old Post from you know were!

Postby Vega75randy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:47 am

AusRs:
I'm with you on that one. I want to do the S-10 ball joints but, not for the 5 lug conversion. I want cheaper ball joints. I'm going to have the spindels reamed to fit the S-10 ball joints. One Monza upper ball joint is more than all 4 S-10 ball joints.

Hope we can get it re-posted here!
Randy S. Hager
Venus, TX
Vega75randy

Postby ColinOpseth » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:52 am

Wasn't that peterpan? I thought he did that conversion so he could use S10/Monte Carlo balljoints.

I bought a ream for my S10 ball joints from a company on the net. It was around 15 bucks and took me about 20 minutes per side to hog out by hand.
Later,
Colin
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby v8astregt » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:29 am

I did the tops. Very very easy to do. Just welded the old bolt holes shut, hogged the main hole to the right size, but ground towards the back and out to correct camber/caster, and redrilled the bolt holes. Took only a couple hours.

I believe the lower balljoints can still be had fairly cheap? I still have the Vega lowers in mine.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Peterpan!!!!!!!!

Postby Vega75randy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:13 pm

Can we get him to look into his files and see if he still has the original post he had done and re-post it here for us? I'd send him $2.00 for his trouble. Would buy at least one Adult beverage of his choice. Yes the lower ball joints are the least expensive of the bunch but, still a lot higher then S-10. What I should have said was one LOWER ball joint would pay for all 4 S-10 joints. Colin, if you don't have a use for the tapered reamer any more I'd buy it from you.
Randy S. Hager
Vega75randy

Postby peterpan » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:20 pm

no it wasn't me but i now know who it was and were to find it after searching all 20 pages of the general forum and alot more of v8monza i found it go to v8monza h-body how to section and its now the top post old school somthing by dirtmod he has sold his vega and is not with us right now
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby MIKESMONZA » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:12 pm

:idea: :roll: IF YOU HAVE NOT LOOKED AT THE OLD SITE,NOW IS THE TIME TO GO AND CHECK OUT THE OLD SCHOOL MODIFICATION THAT ONE OF THE GUYS THAT HAS SOLD HIS H-CAR AND HAS REPOSTED AS TO A REQUEST TO A MEMBER THAT FOUND HIM,,,MIKE 8) 8)
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

LCA Mod's

Postby Vega75randy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:21 pm

What we really need is for him to give Colin permission to repost it here on this board before it permanently gets lost on the other site. This would be something we need to keep for any future reference.
Randy S. Hager
Vega75randy

Postby peterpan » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:49 am

this write up originally by dirtmod on v8monza giving credit were credit is do he has sold his vega and i have not heard anything from him in a long time so getting permission will be hard thats why i made sure to give him credit for this

"5-Lug Conversion". Running dirt cars, lower A arms were always altered to use larger ball joints. I happened to have an 83 Monte Carlo chassis stashed back in the weeds. I tore the A arms and spindles off it this morning. I was comparing them to mine and I decided to replace the hole in the lower A arm. That way I can run Monte ball joints which are larger than Vega and Monza. This way the spindle is made for the ball joint, etc. Plus all four ball joints are $10 each. I think it's worth the initial effort to keep everything consistant. I hope the spindles work out, but they look identical (just a lot beefier). This may have been done a lot before, but I just figured I'd post my conversion from today.
First I cut the end off the Monte and centered it on the Vega lower A arm hole.

I then marked the "hole area" and scored the opening

The hole was torched out of the Vega arm and the Monte hole was welded in.

The Monte end fit right over the Vega end like a glove, I don't think the height of the ball joint will be any affect.

The top ball joint is larger also, but the mounting is so similar all that is needed is a little reaming and redrill mounting bolts after old bolt holes are welded shut.

I don't know, This is probably the oldest trick in the book. But I figured I'd throw it out there to chew on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby zeke » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:01 am

Nice conversion, I may go this route. Thanx for the info.
Last edited by zeke on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby MIKESMONZA » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:42 pm

:shock: THAT"S THE WAY I SEE IT,, IF YOU LEAVE SOMETHING FOR SOME ONE TO USE IN THE WAY OF INFO; PICTURE'S AND TEXT GIVE CREDIT TO THOSE WHO HAVE LEFT IT ,,,,, :shock: I WENT BACK SEVERAL TIME'S LOOKING FOR JUST THAT POST AND OTHERS TO RETREIVE WHEN I AND OTHER'S REDISCOVERED,,, :shock: THE NEW/OLD POST,,,,THANK'S PETERPAN ,,, :) FOR PROVIDING THE TRANSPORT FOR THE POST THAT WE ALL NEEDED,,,,AND TO DIRTMOD THE CREATOR; OF THE POST,,,MIKE 8) 8) I MY SELF WOULD HAVE 2 PAGES OF THANKS TO THOSE WHO HAVE SHARED THEIR POST WITH US JUST TO SUPPORT 'OUR" ENDEVOR'S FOR THE H-BODY'S,,, WE LOVE, CHERISH, HONOR AND FILL UP WITH HY TESTGAS ( OBEY ),, :!: MIKE 8) 8)
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Next

Return to Best Of