fuel pressure regulators

Moderator: Moderators

fuel pressure regulators

Postby beakerztoyz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:05 pm

I just got a new holley red electric pump hooked up on my sunbird and man do we have fuel, im talking it was coming out of the carb in places i didnt know gas was supposed to come out of, the boys say this means i got too much fuel pressure, the pump puts out 7 psi constantly. so im getting a fuel pressure regulator. the question is how do i know where to set it, the motor is a 350 it has an edelbrock 600cfm carb, thanks T.J.
beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby v8astregt » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:16 pm

I have a gauge on mine. At first, I had one of the $15 Jegs gauges. It worked for tuning the pressure, and for a while. Then it stopped altogether after a while.

So now I have a $200 electric Autometer gauge. I LOVE it! It stays dead on 4.5 all the time. That's where I hear to set it at for a Holley I know, 4.5-5 psi.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby myvega » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:53 pm

You probably dislodged some dirt installing the new pump and it's gotten into the needle and seats in the carb. Pull the needles and clean them, reset the floats and you should be ready to go.
Jim Sheaffer
myvega

1974 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Sirshredalot » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:55 pm

I say its always a good idea to have a fuel pressure gauge to make sure you have the right pressure.

I have had pumps that where supposed to put out 5psi and they put out 15 psi.

Edelbrocks handle pressure a little better than a holley and are less particular than a holley...but still.

Either take the top off and check for crud in the needle and seat...also check float levels.

Best thing to do is put a pressure gauge in line to check pressure.
A regulator is never a bad idea even if the pump specifies that it doesnt need one.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech