Custom Gauges

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

Custom Gauges

Postby zeke » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:33 pm

What do u all think of my custom autometer dash? Matching Oil, Water and Volts gauges will hang under the radio. Anyone else modified their instrument panel?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby v8astregt » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:47 am

Very cool! I had an aluminum panel cut for my Astre to go over where the woodgrain was on the GT dash. I did keep the factory gauges, but since I'm running a separate tach, and since the factory tach, temp, and amp gauge doesn't work, I'm just gonna do all Sport Comp gauges in the dash instead.

But that's cool. So is that a photoshop or something? The texture looks kinda different, and liquid?
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby ozzymoose » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:01 am

Was gonna ask the same question.... is that finish for real or photo shopped in?? If it for real please share how, looks good!
If it aint broke hit it with a sledge hammer!!
ozzymoose

Postby zeke » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:18 pm

Actually the whole thing is photo-shopped. Can't fool the guys on h-body.org I guess. :lol:

I will build it eventually, just wanted to see how it would look first.

My plan for the background is to make the graphic in hi-res and print it out on photo paper. Laminate the print, cut to shape and glue to the gauge panel then mount the gauges in.

Here r some of the graphics i used to make this concept cluster:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby peterpan » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:28 pm

i thought it look like photo shop stuff to but the concept looks good
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby greg72 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:24 pm

Reid , barebonesracecars, did an Autometer dash in his Skyhawk. I haven't seen it in person , but from the pictures it looks like agreat idea.

I found this pic in his garage here in the h-body forum.

you can see a fullsize picture at this link :

http://forums.h-body.org/garage.php?mod ... mage_id=56
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby zeke » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:27 pm

Sweet! Those pro comp series are nice.

Thanx for the compliments btw guys.

When I do get around to building the custom cluster, I'll dig up this thread and we'll see if it looks anything close to the concept.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

AUTOMETER GUAGE UPGRADE

Postby mldeolde » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:16 pm

HERE IS A PICTURE OF MY ULTR LITE UPGRADE. STILL NEED TO FINNISH MODIFYING MY 75 DASH FOR THE OIL PRESS,VOLT,TEMP,FUEL. ALL 2 INCH AND A VERY ,VERY TIGHT FIT. MAY EVEN HAVE TO SHAVE THE BEZELS A BIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! note the carbon fiber overlay. got thru a h-body friendly shop that does this type of work. got it done for free as the shop wanted a template for 75 MONZA dash. :wink: :wink: :wink:
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:56 pm

MIDLEOLDE; NICE SET UP,,, :shock: WILL THE TACH PLACEMENT IN THE LEFT SIDE HOLE BE THE WAY YOU FOUND IT IN THE IMSA AS YOU GOT IT,, :?: , OR AM I THINKING YOU MIGHT HAVE A REASON ,,,,, :idea: :?: :?: :?: 8) 8) MIKE
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby ColinOpseth » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:48 pm

How the f' do you guys do that.. I need to put an electric speedo into my Vega and have no idea where to start...
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby zeke » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:17 am

Looks great Mldeolde!

I've done a few custom dashes and it starts with dis-assembly and a lot of imagineering. Some cutting and fabrication as well but well worth the effort if u arnt interested in the factory dash look.

Post a pic of your dash Colin, maybe we can come up with some ideas to help.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

guages/aftermarket up grades

Postby mldeolde » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:31 pm

Mike the reasoning behind the speedo on the right is this- In racing you watch the tach, the speedo is really of no consiquense but on the street, with a very high profile piece, keeping an eye on the speedo can help you avoid the already high possability of the local law enforcement finding an excuse to use thier ticket pad and pen. it helps being an old fart like me and not a kid but that will only get you a little more slack, :wink: it won't prevent a ticket. :cry:
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

SPEEDO TACH HOLE SWITCH

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:10 pm

MIDEOLDE; THAT WAS A GOOD REASON,,,,PERSONAL CHOICES OF PLACEMENT LIKE SOME CHOICES CAR OWNER'S GO THRU,,, IN AFTERMARKET SELCTIONS,,,OF GAUGES THE OLD STEWART WARNER SUN,,AND OTHER'S MAKE'S I CANT EVEN REMEMBER THEIR NAMES ,,CHEEP KNOCK OFF'S SOLD IN DISCOUNT STORE'S,,, BUT WORK FOR A LITTLE WHILE,,, :shock: I AM AMAZED OF THE ABUNDANT CHOICES AND CUSTOM FACE'S,,,,EVEN RETRO COLORS! LIGHTING COLOR,,,,AND SIZE'S TO FIT ALL KIND'S OF APPLICATION'S. NICE WORK !!! MIKE 8) 8)
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby V8Spyder33 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:42 am

Attached is a pic of my dash. In the Garage section I have more photos including pics of the back. I also used a dash pad that was equipped with AC vents and utilized those holes to add Bose Cube speakers (so I don't have to cut holes in my door panels)

Jim
V8Spyder33

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby MIKESMONZA » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:20 pm

:arrow: Today I had put my 75 monza dash back in with a some what modified monza gt style gauge (removable) cluster redux dash back in when suddenly. :arrow: It was apparent I needed to swap the :arrow: aftermarket electric tach and the mechanical speedometer in their new holes as the only way I will be able to hook up the mechanical cable,presently now "it' was not going to line up !!!!!! I know why Mideolde's dash is reversed It makes more sense now! Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Next

Return to Restoration Tips