Bugdewde's '73 Vega

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Postby bugdewde » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:22 am

HotfootGT wrote:Dwight. Are you comming down 75 past Marietta to get it? I'm 9 miles east of 75.

Saw that post yesterday. Would have pursued if I didn't have 3 other toys, no space or money! :D

Still have to get my 62 Lark on the road (215 automatic)

Erik

Erik.....
I still have the 215 auto that I'd mentioned I'd give to you. I'll try to get a trailer today and head down that way at some point today.
You can call me with a place to meet you......
Check your PMs and I'll give you my cell phone #.

Looking forward to finally meeting you.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby djv8ga » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:53 am

That is NOT to much for a rust free early car IMO. SH*$...A tiny bit of rust is a $1000.00 affair. Well bought! You can have fun building instead of restoring that baby. I paid $3000.00 for my 72 and don't regret it at all.

:D
djv8ga

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby hammerdown7 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:09 pm

Dwight,
Just think, had I followed through earlier in the week I could have saved you all the trouble with the trailer and U-haul. They wouldn't rent me a two wheel dolly to pull a Fiero because I was driving only an S-10 extended cab. Went to another and had to tell them I was towing a Chevette. That one passed their criteria and then I went and got the Fiero.
The car looked great to me in the photo's, I was going to put a Cosworth drive train in it.
Good luck with the car, I thought it was a great buy.
I should add, before you put the 5-speed in, check the gear ratio in the rear axle. If he changed to the 2.53, the engine doesn't have enough low end torque to pull it in 5th gear. I was down that road in '76 trying to stretch mileage. The 4-speed works great with that ratio.
Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby Kenova » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:53 pm

bugdewde wrote:.... I've never driven an automatic Vega. I'm sure to not like it as I've only owned 1 automatic in 25 years.

Oh, you are in for a real treat. Jam the gas pedal into the floor and wait ... and wait .... and wait .... and.... well, you'll see. Acceleration is not a strong point, and I'm being polite.
As for the price, time will tell if you scored a good deal. If the engine does not have cylinder liners, there is a good chance it will be siezed up. The joys of having aluminum against aluminum. If the cylinders do have iron liners, then there is a good chance you'll be able to drive it.

Ken
Kenova

Postby greg72 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:06 pm

Dwight , that is a nice looking car! i would have been sorely tempted to grab it had it been here in the Tampa Bay area!

Right now i have too many cars , my stepson just picked up the 95 Mustang that was sitting in my driveway ....so i have space for one more now......oops i forgot i just picked up another Buick Roadmaster wagon.....well i will have that stripped by the end of January ....then i will keep an eye out for another h-body. I cannot let the empty space remain empty too long LOL

BTW did i mention that your newly acquired Vega looks sweet ? !!!!
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby vegagreg » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:29 pm

Dwight, I think you got a good deal. Like somelse said rust cost a lot of money and time to fix. It sounds like it wouldn't take to much to get it going, might have a bad fuel pump or relay.
vegagreg

Postby HotfootGT » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:41 pm

Great score. Nice to meet you even if it was only for a few minutes in the freezing cold at Cracker Barrell.

Hope that front tire holds out.

Just like the 72 GT I had in HS. AC and Pop-out windows. Mine was a 4 speed to boot. Same color as Little Buddy!

Some new fluids and a battery and you will have it on the road by Christmas. Congrats again.

Erik

Howdy from Hotlanta
73 Kammback "Little Buddy"
62 Skylark 215 CI Aluminum V8
71 Dodge D-100 Sweptline
HotfootGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby djv8ga » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:56 pm

OH YEAH!....that car looks awesome. Darn, it even still has the rocker trim and swing out windows! Very nice. :D
Last edited by djv8ga on Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
djv8ga

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby TimMcCabe » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:19 pm

Dwight,

Congrats on the new toy!!

The price won't matter after you take it for a burn around the block :)

Cheers,

Tim
1972 TPI Vega T56 6 speed

Contact me for all of your Tachometer needs
TimMcCabe

Postby vegatex » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:18 pm

Saa-weet! :cheers:
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

Postby matthew9283 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:49 pm

Did you get home alright??
Matthew
matthew9283

Postby bugdewde » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:00 pm

8:30 pm.... got it unloaded and the trailer unhooked. Will return it to my buddy who let me borrow it tomorrow.
Washed my hands and turned on the computer.
08:50 pm and I'm heating up the pinto beans from the Cracker Barrel........ yeah, they forgot to give me utensils.... just now eating!

Thanks for all the comments guys..... I was feeling pretty bad about it. But the rust repair of my '72 was gonna be very costly.... this way I get to drive a Vega again.... so I'm feeling better.

The alignment on the Jeep went south with the load of the trailer. Badly wore my front right tire. Ruined.
My buddy's trailer is very heavy compared to mine. I pulled my fully loaded '79 Trans Am on my trailer with less problems. I didn't use the 6" dropped ball that I normally use after the modest lift to the Jeep. It would have leveled out the Jeep more and kept the front end loaded better.
Stupid is, stupid does.......

We pushed it in the basement and I'm done for the night. I'll try to play with it tomorrow if I get a chance. I'll keep you guys updated.
Gotta eat...... I'M STARVING!!!
Last edited by bugdewde on Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby matthew9283 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:04 pm

Well thats good, it made up there alright.
Matthew
matthew9283

Postby peterpan » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:12 pm

i think it was worth what it was listed on c l for

if it starts with gas poured in the carb then it probably only needs a fuel pump

a nice clean car like that running or not would be worth that to me

its complete and unmolested

i have a sleeved 74 block if it turns up you need one std bore brand new sleeves and pistons also just needs a light hone due to surface rust
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby bugdewde » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:28 pm

hammerdown7 wrote:Dwight,
I should add, before you put the 5-speed in, check the gear ratio in the rear axle. If he changed to the 2.53, the engine doesn't have enough low end torque to pull it in 5th gear. I was down that road in '76 trying to stretch mileage. The 4-speed works great with that ratio.
Dick

Yeah, we didn't determine what the ratio was...... I'm sure it is adequate..... the guy seemed to know his stuff quite well.
I'll probably have to pull the cover and count teeth.... I never got a good feeling with the rotating of one wheel and counting drive shaft revolutions.

My '72's 215 V8 and T-50 5-speed pulls the 2.5X ratio great.... I could even pull out in 2nd gear quite easily. I got about 25-27 mpg with that baby. I'm sure I'll hate this automatic..... but it does have a plus..... my N.O.S. '71-'73 trailer hitch will fit this car.
My '72 has a '74-later, larger gas tank and the hitch won't fit it.

The '73 parts car has a supposedly original 3.36 ratio rear still under it. If the auto is totally unfun, maybe I'll swap in the 3.36 to see if that helps.
Dwight

bugdewde

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion